Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CAP Issue:Vesteeg -Cap Geek had his salary at $2.35M now NHL Numbers $4.7

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: CAP Issue:Vesteeg -Cap Geek had his salary at $2.35M now NHL Numbers $4.7

Well here is what I think happened

There is another thread comparing versteeg soderber and someone else and the last post in that tread shows there is a problem with versteeg on CAp Geek that was on Jan 2 before it shut down. The thread states the front page or team page is different than the individual page.

I am 100% percent positive the team page showed on Dec 26 when I made my move a salary of 2.35(not cap hit)

The problem is I am being told now I am over the CAP in my league thus im screwed. There is no way I made a mistake based on what CApgeek showed, I check 4 times before I make any move

The comish tells me he also has 2.35 on his records. Fantrax shows 2.35 but they are the only site showing that. However a cache of CAPgeek shows 4.7 when u drill down into him but there is no access to salaries TAB on the team page

So what can I do

HELP

Administrator

Default Re: CAP Issue:Vesteeg -Cap Geek had his salary at $2.35M now NHL Numbers $4.7

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
    Well here is what I think happened

There is another thread comparing versteeg soderber and someone else and the last post in that tread shows there is a problem with versteeg on CAp Geek that was on Jan 2 before it shut down. The thread states the front page or team page is different than the individual page.

I am 100% percent positive the team page showed on Dec 26 when I made my move a salary of 2.35(not cap hit)

The problem is I am being told now I am over the CAP in my league thus im screwed. There is no way I made a mistake based on what CApgeek showed, I check 4 times before I make any move

The comish tells me he also has 2.35 on his records. Fantrax shows 2.35 but they are the only site showing that. However a cache of CAPgeek shows 4.7 when u drill down into him but there is no access to salaries TAB on the team page

So what can I do

HELP
    His cap hit is 4.4. Whether or not that is how much it costs in your league is up to your league rules. Hawks and Panthers are splitting the costs. We can't provide you any more information.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

For what it's worth, our cap league used Capgeek before it went down and Versteeg had the following. It may be different for your league though.

Salary: $4.700M
    Cap Hit: $4.400M

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I am positive he showed on the team front page at a salary of 2.35 on December 26

If you drill down to his contract it showes 4.7

Capgeek changed his salary on the team page at some point during the year, in error, I am positive

I need to prove that on Dec 26 or after the team page showed 2.35m salary

How can I do that? Does anyone know if that is possible?

Should I e mail the owner and ask him to reply?

Thanks

Administrator

I am positive he showed on the team front page at a salary of 2.35 on December 26

If you drill down to his contract it showes 4.7

Capgeek changed his salary on the team page at some point during the year, in error, I am positive

I need to prove that on Dec 26 or after the team page showed 2.35m salary

How can I do that? Does anyone know if that is possible?

Should I e mail the owner and ask him to reply?

Thanks
    I don't think it is possible. The owner has shut the place down and doesn't really want to talk to people. If you saw his cap hit and/or salary around 2.3 million then that was just showing how much it costs his current team. His actual cap hit is NOT 2.3 million though. You made a mistake.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I took the # off the hawks team page under the salary tab

I didn't make a mistake, Capgeek had a problem with versteeg as the contract drill down did not tie into the team home page and they should as they do with every other player

I relied on the team home page, which was incorrect

So maybe my mistake was not drilling down to the contract

Our league used CAPGEEK teams front pages under the salary tab for our salaries

So wondering how you think I made a mistake???

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I didn't make a mistake, Capgeek had a problem with versteeg as the contract drill down did not tie into the team home page and they should as they do with every other player

I feel like the HOW of you making the mistake has been explained numerous times and you're choosing to not comprehend.

Kris Versteeg has an overall cap hit of $4.4 million, and an overall salary of $4.7 million.

The Blackhawks and Panthers made a trade. A condition of the trade is that the Panthers retained HALF of Kris Versteeg's contract.

Until Kris Versteeg's contract expires, CHICAGO pays HALF of Versteeg's SALARY and CAP HIT. So Chicago's TEAM PAGE would show the portion CHICAGO pays.

Until Kris Versteeg's contract expires, FLORIDA pays HALF of Versteeg's SALARY and CAP HIT. So Florida's TEAM PAGE would show the portion FLORIDA pays.

Kris Versteeg's PLAYER PAGE would show what his actual contract value is.

Capgeek didn't have a problem or make a mistake, you did.

As to what you can do from here? It seems like the only and logical solution is to drop a player who's salary/cap hit is higher than the amount you're over. Whether that is Versteeg or another player that is your choice.

Also. Emailing the creator of cap geek, who has stated he doesn't wish to be contacted about the site and by all accounts is extremly not well off health wise, to ask a question about fantasy hockey, is in extremely poor taste.

Administrator

The number listed on the Hawks is how much Versteeg costs to the Hawks which is 2.2 against the cap. If you looked at the Florida page Versteeg appears there too counting for 2.2 against their cap. His total cap hit was always 4.4 million which could have been seen on his player bio page.

If your league has special rules then that is up to you guys to sort out. I'm telling you the facts based on the archived version which I linked in this thread.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I fully understand

You are saying regardless of the team home page showing 2.35 under the salary tab on dec 26, its still my fault I didn't use 4.7 as I should have drilled down into the contracts. No one in my league has ever done that and has relied on the team home page. Because the 2 did not tie, and he is the only player we have ever seen this happen to, its my fault?

Sorry but I don't agree. Its a one off freak occurrence that will likely kill my season.

For the record the commish of my league had his salary at 2.35 and 2 others in the league have chimed in saying the also looked at him in December and agreed it showed on the team page salary tab at 2.35

I would have never ever ever considered picking him up at 4.7

- - - Updated - - -

I fully understand

You are saying regardless of the team home page showing 2.35 under the salary tab on dec 26, its still my fault I didn't use 4.7 as I should have drilled down into the contracts. No one in my league has ever done that and has relied on the team home page. Because the 2 did not tie, and he is the only player we have ever seen this happen to, its my fault?

Sorry but I don't agree. Its a one off freak occurrence that will likely kill my season.

For the record the commish of my league had his salary at 2.35 and 2 others in the league have chimed in saying the also looked at him in December and agreed it showed on the team page salary tab at 2.35

I would have never ever ever considered picking him up at 4.7

Dobber Sports Superstar

I fully understand

You are saying regardless of the team home page showing 2.35 under the salary tab on dec 26, its still my fault I didn't use 4.7 as I should have drilled down into the contracts.
    Correct. His TOTAL cap hit was $4.4 million and his TOTAL salary was $4.7 million. If you league uses TOTAL salary then the correct number was $4.7 million

No one in my league has ever done that and has relied on the team home page. Because the 2 did not tie, and he is the only player we have ever seen this happen to, its my fault?
    Yes, yes it is. Sucks but its true. It's completely understandable how you came to the number $2.35m, you did what you've done hundreds of times before and what most guys would do: you went to the team page for the player you were reviewing, it showed $2.35m so that's the number you used. 99% of the time this number will be the same as a player's cap hit and salary. Sadly for you, this is the 1%. You've indicated that in your league a players salary is his cap hit. Versteeg's NHL salary this year is $4.7 million so his cap hit should be $4.7 million. Again, it sucks for you! I didn't know Versteeg was still being paid by the Panthers and if I was looking to find his cap hit in your league I'd have done the exact same thing you did, so would most people I suspect. But, that doesn't change the rules or the reality of his cap hit.

I don't see how this can't be 100% your fault. As clearly laid out by numerous people; Versteeg's salary this year is $4.7 million, so his league cap hit is $4.7million. It sucks you didn't catch it (and most wouldn't) but if that's the rule the reality is your team was over the cap.

We all agree the Blackhawks team page showed his salary at $2.35 m because that's what the Blackhawks were paying him. The reality is that number doesn't matter and if the rule states it's a player's NHL salary then you used the wrong number and were over the cap.

Bottom line is you were over the cap given what you've said about your league rules thus far and blaming others or refusing to accept this fact is just stubbornness. The only good news is that it is very understandable how you ended up with a team over the cap. The comments of the commissioner and 2 other GMS go a long way to showing that it was an accidental overage. Given the tricky nature of Versteeg's salary, the fact that others made the same mistake and the fact that you are (hopefully) righted this wrong as soon as you found out about it I think you should be able to plead for mercy in the punishment/sanction you receive for being over the cap. If this is one of the first times your league has had a team over the cap then I'd argue it was a one-off and extremely difficult and ask for a warning or minor penalty.

However, if they give you the maximum penalty (whatever that is) ultimately you have no one to blame but yourself.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah, it sucks for you. It's up to your league to decide if they will honour the figure shown on the team's page rather than the individual page.

It's kinda like you see a Sony PSP advertised for $100 at Walmart, but in actuality it is $200. You are able to get it for $100 but it was a mistake. Will the store honour it? Real story

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sLeePickeR View Post
    Yeah, it sucks for you. It's up to your league to decide if they will honour the figure shown on the team's page rather than the individual page.
    This. The cap hit is what it is and is not debatable. What the league does, however, is up to the league. Unfortunately, there is not much anyone here can do about that part.

I'm not really sure if I care if you agree with me or not. In fact I for sure don't.

If I was in a cap league I would 100% always go to a players page to check their salary, not a team page. For one, going to capgeek.com, It was just easier to search "Player X" right at the top of the page than it would be to find Chicago's team page.

I would say this is probably not a one off. Capgeek would have done it this way for every trade involving retained salary. Why in the world would it make sense for capgeek to tie Versteeg's full salary to Chicago's team page? That would make Chicago have less cap space then they actually did. It actually makes just about zero sense for them to do that.

The fact that other members of your league had the same number for Versteeg doesn't make it less your fault and more capgeek's fault. It is 100% your fault just as them having it wrong is 100% their fault. It wasn't really a hard website to use to get the real number. If it is the only player this as ever happened to, either A) you have some more wrong cap hits in your system, or B) no other players who have been traded with retained salary are owned in your league. To me, it sounds likely that whoever had Jussi Jokinen when he was on the Penguins was definitely getting unjustified cap savings.

Lastly, I don't see how losing Kris Versteeg can be such a fatal blow that it kills your season. You aren't losing Patrick Kane here.

Dobber Sports Ninja

We had the same issue come up in a cap league I'm in, but it was in the off-season during our rules discussions. I successfully argued that it was a god damn pain in the ass for us to drill down to the player page to check every player's cap hit. Like you, I prefer to simply click on the team page and look for players cap hits/salaries (Oh how I miss Cap Geek). If this wasn't discussed previously and the commish had listed the salary as $2.35M, it's very unfair to now change tack and list his salary at $4.7M. At the very least, the commish should consider this as something he and the rest of the league overlooked and put it on the agenda to discuss for next season. Changing salaries mid-year is not really cool.

The only thing is if you were the only guy interpreting salaries that way. If everyone else was drilling down to the player's page except you, then you should be at fault. What about other players in similar situations, what does their salary look like on their pool team pages? Otherwise, petition the commish to grandfather the salaries as they were until this issue can be fully and fairly sorted out. My $0.02
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket