Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official Hockey Card Collector Thread

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Official Hockey Card Collector Thread

I have a big ole Tupperware tub filled with hockey cards that I used to collect in my younger days. I have a lot of complete sets and quite a few rookie cards that are worth a lot to me and hopefully someday, will be to my son as well. That Gretzky rookie down there is always something fun to pull out and show.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I took the liberty of merging the two hockey card threads, and stickied. I thought this would be a cool resource to have in the Lounge so as long as it stays reasonably active we'll keep it stickied.

Sorry I missed this the first time in June. Cool idea, gents.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

This is awesome! Looks like a ton of similar experiences. Pengwin we must be the about the same age as our "peak" collecting years line up and my wife still buys me packs every year for my birthday and Christmas because she loves to watch me open them and get all pumped! My collecting now is just lurking on Ebay for auctions about to end. I do it when i get a wild hair....last night I almost snagged a Vlad Tarasenko Young Guns Exclusives #/100 but alas $100 was my budget and it went for $107. As you might expect I am really into anything Vlady right now.
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Man the good ol' days. I started in the 80's. I never had a Gretz rookie card but I had the Messier/Bourque's of 80-81, then skipped to 84-85 to get stevie Y, had a few Lemieux's in 85-86, Roy 86-87 and then it kind of went into full force in the late 80's to early 90's. I think the 90-91 UD was probably my fav year and I still have all of the JR's (surprise based on my handle..) Modanos, Jagr's etc and the Score Lindros'..

Unfortunately, as I saw Penguin mentioned earlier, the cards values just dropped to nothing (at least in NY). A Roy rookie was like $150 and maybe I could sell it for $40? (before PSA etc, which just makes me not want to "collect" anymore). I loved collecting, but the fact that the values were so far below stated value, just turned me off (Hockey especially, but all 4 sports were in the same ballpark). I didn't expect to be offered $150 for the Roy card, but $100? The rest were no different...

Its too bad because of the values and the increasing cost of collecting (pack prices , expanding to tons of companies etc) I just bowed out. I miss it and still love to look at what I have left, but also remember how much time, money/value, and most important, childhood joy was sucked out by the business end.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have a giant collection up in the attic, handed down to me from my dad. Hull, Gretzky, Lemieux, and Roy are among the many collecting dust.

I swear, one day, I'm going to go dig them all up and display them somewhere.
    To thrive in life, you need three bones.

A wishbone.
    A backbone.
    And a funny bone.

-Reba McEntire

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bringing back this old dead thread. The hobby has exploded recently for a number of factors and I even found myself getting back into it a bit. Anyone else finding their way back to collecting with no sports on right now?

Dobber Sports Star

I was going to post something but then I realized I had already posted in this thread 5 years ago and it was basically exactly what I was going to say lol. Deja vu I guess. I do miss collecting though - maybe I'll buy a box one day...

Dobber Sports Master

I think my full set of o-pee-chee premier that has Fedorov rookie card is my most valuable set . I have a Getzky ''second season'' all-star themed card that I paid 10$ bucks for that has apparently raised in value .

like you guys , I'm overdue for a dusting off the boxes

The Great One

I was going to post a pic, but for whatever reason, it won't let me post a simple JPEG file in here.

Most "recent" purchases:
    - A 1911 C55 Bruce Stuart (in the classic Senators uniform)
    - A 1970 Esso Gilbert Perreault stamp (a booklet of 6 stamps were available with a $3 purchase, or something like that)
    - A 1974 Lipton's Soup Gilbert Perreault (these came in pairs, really hard to find in decent shape); and
    - A 1974 Loblaw's Gilbert Perreault (there came in strips of 6, and were available from Loblaw's in Canada, Save Easy, and a few other places).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Once covid-19 stuff makes it more feasible I am going to look into shipping out to a website called COMC and try to sell off some of the stuff that has value there.

I just finally had time to go through everything. A few cards I will send off to be graded, a chunk I will try and sell through facebook/COMC etc, and then the rest I am likely just going to put into packages and give out at Halloween to kids.

Then whatever money I make off all of it I might try an consolidate into a couple purchases that I really want, instead of having a bunch of stuff I am not emotionally attached to sitting around the house.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I was going to post a pic, but for whatever reason, it won't let me post a simple JPEG file in here.

Most "recent" purchases:
    - A 1911 C55 Bruce Stuart (in the classic Senators uniform)
    - A 1970 Esso Gilbert Perreault stamp (a booklet of 6 stamps were available with a $3 purchase, or something like that)
    - A 1974 Lipton's Soup Gilbert Perreault (these came in pairs, really hard to find in decent shape); and
    - A 1974 Loblaw's Gilbert Perreault (there came in strips of 6, and were available from Loblaw's in Canada, Save Easy, and a few other places).
    Nice! What shape is the Stuart in? Is it graded?

The Great One

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The one thing I got back into... was Panini hockey sticker books.
    I did my first one back in 1985 when I moved to Canada:

With kids now (age 6 & 10), they love the "unboxing" or "opening" of toys. (Damn YouTube kids channels!)

I tried this on with my oldest four Christmases ago... she loved it.
    I bought four box of 2012-2013 Panini hockey stickers. Each 50pack box had 7stickers... it's a LOT of fun tearing, opening, looking.
    Every other pack has a shiny/foil type of sticker that is "RARE"... kids love that too!!!
    [It's actually a good educational exercise for kids too - finding the matching name & number in the book, trying to say the name, learning the teams names and colours. A really, really good "Intro to Hockey" activity for kids.]

We'd open every back going "C'mon... Claude Giroux"... since my daughter knew that was her dad's fave player then.
    Eventually, 4th box of Panini hockey stickers (packs 150-200), we found it.
    She found it.
    I gave her a big hug.
    It was a moment.

Since then, I look over the internet every month or so to see if any warehouses are lowering prices with deals.

Panini actually got outed on their hockey sticker contract just recently.
    Starting this year, 2019-2020, Topps has the sticker rights. Sort of sad.
    They changed the system to rake it.

But there's still good values out there.
    I usually buy boxes when they go to about $10/each.

The number of stickers in a set has ballooned over past few years from 350 to 550+.
    And a year or two ago they changed the # of stickers in a pack from 7per to 5per.
    Obv, big difference trying to complete a 350sticker book with a 350sticker box... vs. now a 550sticker book with 250sticker box.

There's a dude named "Sports Clown" that makes videos.
    I'm the guy that watches them!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3PPbZLOBR8

If any of you did this, have kids, looking for some... there's good deal right now.
    DA Card World has 60 sticker boxes and 72 albums for $500.
    That's less than $10 per box... which is great since they first retail when they come out at $50/each.
    Of course... I don't want to spend $500 on hockey stickers.

But having a group of "openers" to trade duplicates and complete sets would be great.
    8-12 Dobber members each in on 4-6 boxes each would work well at about $50 each...
    For those of you with kids.

https://www.dacardworld.com/sports-c...2ct-album-case

Grand summary is that I find it more enjoyable to think of the collecting purely as an "activity" rather than an "investment".
    And when's it done, you write your name and date in the book and it becomes a memory. I always take a few photos or video clips when we do it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's great stuff Pengwin. My kids enjoy Pokemon, but for whatever reason have not really gotten connected to hockey. Maybe that will change as I jump back into the hobby a little bit now. The stickers is a great idea though.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Nice! What shape is the Stuart in? Is it graded?
    I'd say "very good"; I also have a copy in PSA-5. Eventually, I hope to have the full set of 1911 C'55 Ottawa Senators. I have a pile of Pre-War cards, every OPC set from 1968 to 1988, rookie cards of some key favorites (e.g. Phil Esposito, Stan Mikita), and then my odd-ball Perreault collection. If Perreault was on something hockey-related between 1970 and 1986, I'm pretty likely to have it.

Re: your approach to collecting, I highly recommend that approach. If I weren't so lazy, I'd sell all my OPC sets, and most of my non-Perreault stuff...