Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official Hockey Card Collector Thread

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Hockey Cards

Are there any really big hockey card nuts on these forums? I've never really seen much discussed in regards to them, and I figure if there is even 3 people who love them as much as I do then we can get a pretty good thread going here!! So I want to talk anything hockey cards at all, what you've pulled, what you've had, what you've ruined (card games....), etc.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Hockey Cards

They are too deep in the attic to retrieve at the moment but I have a bunch of cards from the early 70s......kind of; my older brother peeled the backs off them all when we were kids in the early 70s. Some of these cards were Lafleur, Gainey, ...oh hell, I'll dig them out:

Lafleur, Salming, Sittler, K Dryden, Vachon, Billy Smith, Fred Shero (as Flyers coach), Steve Shutt, Marcel Dionne (as a Red Wing), Don Cherry (as Bruins coach), Terry O'Reilly, Gainey, Robinson, Leach among others.

I think the cards are 1974/75.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mojavedesert View Post
    They are too deep in the attic to retrieve at the moment but I have a bunch of cards from the early 70s......kind of; my older brother peeled the backs off them all when we were kids in the early 70s. Some of these cards were Lafleur, Gainey, ...oh hell, I'll dig them out:

Lafleur, Salming, Sittler, K Dryden, Vachon, Billy Smith, Fred Shero (as Flyers coach), Steve Shutt, Marcel Dionne (as a Red Wing), Don Cherry (as Bruins coach), Terry O'Reilly, Gainey, Robinson, Leach among others.

I think the cards are 1974/75.
    I think I have a number of those cards from the same set. It was a birthday gift to me ( born in 74 ) from my uncle who told my mom that someday I would grow up and appreciate them.

He also included some cards from the late 60's and earlier 70's: Guy Lafleur's rookie card, a Terry Sawchuk memorial card and a Bobby Orr 2nd year card.

Throughout the 80's I collected hockey cards on and off, and made my final purchase, if you will, in 1992: a complete set of 1990-91 Topps hockey cards (which remains unopened by me) that includes Roenick, Joseph and Richter rookie cards.

Haven't touched any of them in years...

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

I still have a pretty good collection from back in the day. I used to be a pretty avid collector back when there was a mad rush on owning them.

When I was growing up, I just got them because I loved hockey cards. Nothing funner then unwrapping the paper to see who you got, along with that stale ole gum that you still chewed on, no matter how hard it was. I'd hate to think how many I ruined in the spokes of my bicycle.

I remember back in 1979, my mother ordered me a "hockey locker" to store my cards in. There was a slot for each team to seperate the cards that way. Thank god she did. I still have my Wayne Gretzky rookie card because of that locker (along with a lot of others from that same year).

I have mine all in a couple big ole Tupperware Tubs in my basement and saving them for my son to be handed down.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

i have at least one set of all the pro sets, upperdeck,tops, op-chee,primiers,and score. form 1990 to 1994. plus boxxes of commons. my brother and i used to be huge hockey card collectors. our best friends dad owned a card bussines and we traded cards alot. used to be a blast. now there all stored away.
    i can only imagine what my four year old would do to them if i ever displayed them.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I have a whole whack of sets from the mid 80's to the early 90's.. I collected both hockey and baseball.. They are all in folders and some are laying around in boxes..

O'pee'chee, Topps, Upperdeck, Proset, Score, and all the McDonald's cards..

No Gretzky rookie cards.. But I do have the rookie cards of: Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Lucky Luc, Eric Lindros, Peter Forsberg, Alex Mogilny, Pavel Bure, etc, etc..

I used to buy the beckett magazines and price out the big cards I had.. HaHa.. I still have a few beckett magazines framed..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I have a whole whack of sets from the mid 80's to the early 90's.. I collected both hockey and baseball.. They are all in folders and some are laying around in boxes..

O'pee'chee, Topps, Upperdeck, Proset, Score, and all the McDonald's cards..

No Gretzky rookie cards.. But I do have the rookie cards of: Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Lucky Luc, Eric Lindros, Peter Forsberg, Alex Mogilny, Pavel Bure, etc, etc..

I used to buy the beckett magazines and price out the big cards I had.. HaHa.. I still have a few beckett magazines framed..
    I dont have any Becketts framed, but I still own a few of them as well. The "business" of hockey cards ruined the value of hockey cards IMO.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont have any Becketts framed, but I still own a few of them as well. The "business" of hockey cards ruined the value of hockey cards IMO.
    I would have to dig them out but the becketts I have framed are Gretzky, Neely, and Pat Roy!!

I also framed some Sports Illustrated's back in the day.. With Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Tiger, Favre, and Barry Bonds.. I wanted the the 5 most famous at each sport at the time!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks dodospice for starting this thread.

I was a big collector in the late '80s and early '90s and even hosted some card shows. I wish they still had the card shows. Even the smaller ones used to have an ex-NHLer attending signing autographs. Bobby Hull etc.

The last card show I went to was in Toronto celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Leafs 1967 Stanley Cup with most of the team there signing autographs ( for a price of course ).

I have Bobby Hull, Mario Lemieux and Gretzky rookie cards and too many boxes, sets and containers to count.

I find it so sad that the business has prices cards out of the hands of kids. Heck I won't even pay for a pack of cards now. Ridiculous prices! I just don't understand why the companies ( I believe most of all the cards are owned by 1 or 2 companies now ) don't clue in and make the cards affordable for kids again. It's just a shame, not to mention that I think it is the only way to revive the industry. They just got so greedy and ruined it.

Does anyone remember the Esso sticker books that had a double page for each NHL team and you collected the stickers for each team's players?

Funny I remember the same feeling trading cards as I get from trading my fantasy players.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Thanks dodospice for starting this thread.

I was a big collector in the late '80s and early '90s and even hosted some card shows. I wish they still had the card shows. Even the smaller ones used to have an ex-NHLer attending signing autographs. Bobby Hull etc.

The last card show I went to was in Toronto celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Leafs 1967 Stanley Cup with most of the team there signing autographs ( for a price of course ).

I have Bobby Hull, Mario Lemieux and Gretzky rookie cards and too many boxes, sets and containers to count.

I find it so sad that the business has prices cards out of the hands of kids. Heck I won't even pay for a pack of cards now. Ridiculous prices! I just don't understand why the companies ( I believe most of all the cards are owned by 1 or 2 companies now ) don't clue in and make the cards affordable for kids again. It's just a shame, not to mention that I think it is the only way to revive the industry. They just got so greedy and ruined it.

Does anyone remember the Esso sticker books that had a double page for each NHL team and you collected the stickers for each team's players?

Funny I remember the same feeling trading cards as I get from trading my fantasy players.
    I do remember the Esso sticker books. I have another sticker book at home as well but I can't remember who put it out. I know I didn't get it completed. I will have to go and see if I cant dig that out now and see who put that one out.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh man... memories.
    From 1985-1991 (grade school), collecting cards & sticker albums was my life.

Unfortunately, I think the card manufacturers started overproducing in the summer of about 1986 or 1987... and everything from about that day on is worth pennies... which is most of my collection.
    Like everybody else, they're up in the attic.

But I do like to look through the 1985-1986 O-Pee-Chee sticker album I collected fully.
    I even remember "mailing in" for the ones I didn't have AND sending in sticker backs with money for things like logo pucks and logo sticks.

1985-1986:

1986-1987:

Dobber Sports Superstar

Great thread, brings back some good memories. Can't even guess how many cards went through the bike spokes. that was an early version of fantasy hockey trading your cards.
    Have some full boxes of a few brands - bet some of that gum tastes great 20+ years later. Early 90's they use to pump out cards - how many mistakes were on those Prostar cards?
    How many people remember going to McDonald's and buying cards there?
    Now I am going to have to go find those boxes now
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I got back into hockey cards a couple of years ago. I managed to put a couple of nice sets together. I also got all the P.K. Subban Rookie Cards. However, since I became a dad, I just don't have to money to spend on it anymore.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Genius

I syill have my card binder in the garage. Mostly cards from late 80s and early 90s. Anyone want to buy? lol. I do randomly buy a pack out of nostalgia, but my wife thinks its a waste, which it kind of is for me now. Bummed, i miss the good ol' days.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Pro

Every once in a while, I still pick up some cards here and there. Mostly I just try and collect rookie cards of players I like, and such. I know in recent years I've gotten Karlsson, B.Schenn, Couturier, etc. Nothing is more fun then the suspense of seeing what cards you get! I even have some Ovechkin, and Crosby rookie cards.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky