Thread: Mackinnon, Monahan and Varlamov vs. Parise and Rask

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Question Mackinnon, Monahan and Varlamov vs. Parise and Rask

As i'm out of contention this year the focus becomes my core keepers, 8 in total. Monahan wouldn't make the cut so essentially this becomes my Mackinnon and Varlamov for Parise and Rask... On paper this seems like a great trade but upon further analysis I could be losing two future superstars on a young gun team for an older forward with team issues and and well.. Rask.

What core looks better heading into the next 3 years?

Crosby
    Voracek
    Mackinnon
    Okposo
    Hedman
    Carlson
    Varlamov
    Schneider

Or

Crosby
    Voracek
    Parise
    Okposo
    Hedman
    Carlson
    Rask
    Schneider.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Mackinnon, Monahan and Varlamov vs. Parise and Rask

More league details are required; scoring categories, roster size and allocation, number of teams, H2H vs roto.

Assuming a standard 12 team H2H league, I would prefer to go with MacKinnon/Varlamov because I think goaltending tends to vary so much year to year while skaters tend to be more consistent, and I think MacKinnon will get back on track.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

10 teams, rotisserie, 23 man rosters skaters :G, A, P, PPP, SHP, +/-, GWG goaltenders W, GAA, SP, S

Dobber Sports Superstar

I am assuming SP means SO.

What about roster allocation? 4C,4RW,4LW,4D,2G,5B? or 6D and 3B?

Either way, I'll stand pat based on the following points:
    - I'm guessing you start 2G, so each team has at least 2 starters, and are probably able to roster a third, so they aren't quite at a premium.
    - The fact that it appears your league is quite deep for skaters as opposed to goalies
    - Being comfortable with Schneider and Varlamov, especially in a league counting saves
    - My aforementioned fear of goalie volatility year to year
    - and I believe MacKinnon will outpoint Parise consistently as early as next year.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't like it at all. Selling ultra-low on Colorado IMO. As much as I love Rask I love Colorado's future.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd lean towards yes. Rask is a clear upgrade and would give you a super decent duo in net. Three-year outlook, I like Parise's chances of keeping up with MacKinnon, or at least be close enough.

That said, even though he's not a keeper for you, you are also giving up Monahan. That should be reason enough to get something extra (eg a pick) coming back your way.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd lean towards yes. Rask is a clear upgrade and would give you a super decent duo in net. Three-year outlook, I like Parise's chances of keeping up with MacKinnon, or at least be close enough.

That said, even though he's not a keeper for you, you are also giving up Monahan. That should be reason enough to get something extra (eg a pick) coming back your way.