Thread: What the World Cup Under 23 Team might look like

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default What the World Cup Under 23 Team might look like

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: What the World Cup Under 23 Team might look like

Faulk, Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier, Huberdeau, Strome, Landeskog, Murray, and Gibson will all be ineligible come September 2016.
    To thrive in life, you need three bones.

A wishbone.
    A backbone.
    And a funny bone.

-Reba McEntire

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Joe13 View Post
    Faulk, Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier, Huberdeau, Strome, Landeskog, Murray, and Gibson will all be ineligible come September 2016.
    It's 23 and under though, and I believe the cutoff is September 1st. So I think they're all good? Or most of them are. I think it'd be easier to say anyone born in '93 or later, however if they let late 92 participate as U-23 even thought they're almost 24 then the team would stand to benefit.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    It's 23 and under though, and I believe the cutoff is September 1st. So I think they're all good? Or most of them are.
    Well, the title said under-23, and that's what I previously believed. In that case, only Faulk doesn't make it. Sorry about that.

A wishbone.
    A backbone.
    And a funny bone.

-Reba McEntire

Dobber Sports Pro

Well, the title said under-23, and that's what I previously believed. In that case, only Faulk doesn't make it. Sorry about that.
    I think they should just go with anyone born in '93 or later is on the young guns, if they start adding in the late '92 born players then it gets a harder.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think they should just go with anyone born in '93 or later is on the young guns, if they start adding in the late '92 born players then it gets a harder.
    Personally, not a fan of the young guns team, solely for patriotic reasons. I don't want to cheer against guys on the young guns team, which of the majority are Canadian, but I'm sure not cheering against Canada. What if the young guns win? Where does the trophy go? What if the Europe team wins? Then what? A world cup should compromise of solely countries. Hell, why not throw in Slovakia and have a 7-team round robin? That would be awesome.

A wishbone.
    A backbone.
    And a funny bone.

-Reba McEntire

Dobber Sports Pro

I agree that it should be countries only, but since it isn't going to be that way I think watching the Young Guns could be interesting. I compiled a team of guys born in 93 or later that could do well, they wouldn't win but they could compete with teams.

Johnny Gaudreau- Connor McDavid- Nathan MacKinnon
    Alex Galchenyuk- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins- Ryan Strome
    Jonathan Drouin- Sean Monahan- Mark Scheifele
    Jonathan Huberdeau- Boone Jenner- Jack Eichel
    Auston Matthews

Aaron Ekblad- Dougie Hamilton
    Seth Jones- Jacob Trouba
    Ryan Murray- Damon Severson
    Morgan Rielly

John Gibson
    Connor Hellebuyck
    Malcolm Subban

The lines are just for fun obviously, but a top 4 defence of Hamilton, Ekblad, Trouba, Jones wouldn't be a lot of fun to play against that's for sure.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree that it should be countries only, but since it isn't going to be that way I think watching the Young Guns could be interesting. I compiled a team of guys born in 93 or later that could do well, they wouldn't win but they could compete with teams.

Johnny Gaudreau- Connor McDavid- Nathan MacKinnon
    Alex Galchenyuk- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins- Ryan Strome
    Jonathan Drouin- Sean Monahan- Mark Scheifele
    Jonathan Huberdeau- Boone Jenner- Jack Eichel
    Auston Matthews

Aaron Ekblad- Dougie Hamilton
    Seth Jones- Jacob Trouba
    Ryan Murray- Damon Severson
    Morgan Rielly

John Gibson
    Connor Hellebuyck
    Malcolm Subban

The lines are just for fun obviously, but a top 4 defence of Hamilton, Ekblad, Trouba, Jones wouldn't be a lot of fun to play against that's for sure.
    Interesting. I'd put Vasilevskiy in there, though. But that's a pretty damn good team. I doubt they can compete with Canada, Russia, Sweden, etc. Those teams are stacked, top to bottom.

A wishbone.
    A backbone.
    And a funny bone.

-Reba McEntire

Dobber Sports Ninja

Interesting. I'd put Vasilevskiy in there, though. But that's a pretty damn good team.
    The under 23 team will be from Canada/USA only, so Vasilevskiy wouldn't be eligible for that team.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    The under 23 team will be from Canada/USA only, so Vasilevskiy wouldn't be eligible for that team.
    Why? I'm just asking, why do you think they made it only Canada/USA and not a "world junior team"? Is it because the league only wants to showcase talents in North America, and not give the KHL or other leagues any sort of publicity in the event? I think Vas is the best goalie under 23, period.

A wishbone.
    A backbone.
    And a funny bone.

-Reba McEntire

Dobber Sports Ninja

Who knows what the hell the NHL is EVER thinking!? My understanding is that players under 23 had to come from North America and were ineligible from playing on their "National" team in this tournament. Why? Who knows, it's the NHL and it's crap. Seriously, who is going to be the goalie for the under 23's? I'll have to dig to answer that one.

Vas might be on the Russian team anyway. They've got Bob and Varlamov and not much else.

Dobber Sports Pro

The under 23 team is comprised of North Americans only, otherwise I would have Vasilevsky on the team. The goalie will easily be Gibson, given their isn't a lot of other options at this point in time.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Who knows what the hell the NHL is EVER thinking!?
    Very good point, must have slipped my mind.

A wishbone.
    A backbone.
    And a funny bone.

-Reba McEntire

Dobber Sports Superstar

Why? I'm just asking, why do you think they made it only Canada/USA and not a "world junior team"? Is it because the league only wants to showcase talents in North America, and not give the KHL or other leagues any sort of publicity in the event? I think Vas is the best goalie under 23, period.
    First off, only the NHL has confirmed it will send players (edit: apparently all players are eligible but the KHL and others have yet to say if they'll make players available for the tournament)(that's another issue I have with the tournament's legitimacy).

As to why the NHL decided the young-guns team is limited to North American players I would guess the following:
    - since it's NHL players only some countries are going to struggle to produce a half-decent team period.
    Examples: Russia has 6 NHL goalies: Bobrovsky, Varlamov, Khubodin, Vasilevskiy , Nabokob, Bryzgalov- Vasilevskiy fights for the 3rd spot with Khubodin I'd say.
    Czech Republic has 4 goalies and 33 skaters total (including Dominik Uher who has 2 GP for the Penguins). Had the NHL made the young-gun rule World Wide Russia/Czech probably couldn't fill out a roster;
    other lesser reasons:
    - most of the top under-23 players are North American both due to high number of NA players generally and due to entering league sooner relative to European players; and
    - marketing. Most viewers will be North American, they want to see North American players.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR