Thread: Penner an Oil?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Penner an Oil?

Sportsnet are reporting that Edmonton and Penner (a RFA) have agreed on a 21 million multi-year deal. Question is, do the Ducks have room to match?

Maybe this is the catalyst for Burke to move Bryzzer. Phx must be happy now... Bryzzers price should drop.

Post edited by: derrickroul, at: 2007/07/26 14:59
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Default Re:Penner an Oil?

Actually, Burke may be PO\'ed but this gives him great 1st round draft picks in both the Stamkos/Tavares drafts, and provides an opportunity for B Ryan to step up to the plate and play with two whiz kids. Penner was the Mikeal Renberg of this Legion of Doom line, and it could turn into one of the best things for the Ducks. They get a boat load of picks for a previously undrafted player who benefited greatly from playing with Getzlaf and Perry. Anaheim would be crazy to match.
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Dobber Sports Expert

That Renberg comparison is a really interesting way to look at it.

The fly in the ointment here is we\'re talkin about Burkie here. If you think he won\'t match guess again.
    He\'s gonna match cuz he\'s pugnacious 1st and smart 2nd. He luvs pissin matches.
    Look at Peter Schaefer and R.J Umberger, they we\'re only askin a bit more than what Burke wanted to pay and it got personal and bye bye off they went. Both those guys would look pretty good in a nucks uni now huh. Stupid is as Burkie does!:P
    Nonis said Burkies the only guy he knows that can get into a fight at a urinal!:P
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

Orrfan wrote:
    The fly in the ointment here is we\'re talkin about Burkie here. If you think he won\'t match guess again.
    He\'s gonna match cuz he\'s pugnacious 1st and smart 2nd. He luvs pissin matches.
    Look at Peter Schaefer and R.J Umberger, they we\'re only askin a bit more than what Burke wanted to pay and it got personal and bye bye off they went. Both those guys would look pretty good in a nucks uni now huh. Stupid is as Burkie does!:P
    Nonis said Burkies the only guy he knows that can get into a fight at a urinal!:P
    I don\'t think he will match this one...the only way Burke matches, is if Nieds is going to retire, because if he does match, and Nieds doesn\'t retire...Ducks are over the cap.
    Edmontons 1st picknext year could very well be 1st overall...I think this come down to Niedemeyer retiring or not... but Anaheim should let him go regardless

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I don\'t think Penner is worth that much. Anaheim should take the picks for sure. I don\'t really know what Edmonton was thinking, aside from maybe trying to pull the same kind of thing as the Ryan Kesler thing last year, and putting the Ducks in a very uncomfortable spot.

Dobber Sports Expert

great nick and avatar, alex.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Isn\'t the compensation just a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?

Pretty good for Penner but it doesn\'t give them extra picks in the tavares draft.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think that Burke will walk away. The upside for his team is to great to match this deal with Edmonton. Burke likes a fight but he is NOT stupid. In this case, Lowe made the mistake. Burke will take advantage.

Penner, Hemsky, and ?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Kovalchuk of course!

I don\'t think he will match this one...the only way Burke matches, is if Nieds is going to retire, because if he does match, and Nieds doesn\'t retire...Ducks are over the cap.
    Edmontons 1st picknext year could very well be 1st overall...I think this come down to Niedemeyer retiring or not... but Anaheim should let him go regardless
    I agree Dynamo. I think this is the reason Lowe did this, he\'s forcing Niedermayer\'s hand to say whether he\'s retiring or not. I think it\'s silly for him(Nieds) to have waited this long to announce what he\'s doing because it really handcuffs his team, but that\'s another thread. Now Burke is going to have to demand an answer from Nieds. If he is going to retire, ANA matches, if he doesn\'t, they let Penner walk and get the picks.

This could even get ugly between Nieds and Burke. Should be fun to watch all the press conferences with Burke lambbasting Lowe. I can\'t wait!!