Thread: The Renewal of Loui in Boston

Dobber Sports Stud

Default The Renewal of Loui in Boston

Loui Eriksson – The Renewal of Loui

10 Goals / 17 Assists / 5 PPP / 80 Shots / 12.5 SH% / Plus 10 / 8 PIM / 23 Hits / 13 Blocks
    17:56 TOI-G / 2:00 PP-TOI

Advanced Stats (5v5)
    10.31 Corsi On / 6.8 Corsi Rel. / 8.85 On-Ice-Sh% / 1018 PDO / 54.8 OZS% / 52.6 OZF%

Recent games have been kind to the Beantown winger, scoring six points in his last nine games played. He scored his tenth goal of the season against their original six rivals the New York Rangers; with the goal he snapped an eight game goal-less streak.
    Boston being a team which relies on depth not any sole sniper or top line to score goals, the fact Eriksson is a part of the “third” line does not bring his value down. He still gets nearly 18 minutes even strength time on ice per game along with 2:00 minutes on the power-play, third most of the forwards on the team.
    A team like Boston is constantly on the lower tier of powerplay opportunities in the league, they once again sit 30th in the NHL through 45 games played. A spot they are undoubtedly used to by now; their last three seasons have seen them in the exact same position. You can’t expect the team to have high PP-TOI per game numbers, thus they must rely on their success rate on it. Which has been decent so far a PP% of 17.8; good for 18th in the league.

PP-TOI per Game Distribution for Boston Forwards 2014/15 season (Any GP)
    1) David Krejci 2:09 - 6 PPP
    2) David Pastrnak 2:06 - 1 PPP
    3) Loui Eriksson - 2:00 - 5 PPP
    4) Patrice Bergeron - 1:58 - 5 PPP
    5) Carl Soderberg - 1:56 - 7 PPP
    6) Rielly Smith 1:55 - 5 PPP
    7) Seth Griffith 1:45 - 3 PPP
    8) Milan Lucic 1:43 - 6 PPP
    9) Brad Marchand 1:20 - 1 PPP
    10) Ryan Spooner 1:17- 0 PPP

As a team they have only garnered 19 power-play goals so far this season, tied with the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens for 26th. With their limited amount of chances in the first half it’s no surprise that they are that low. Now in saying that, one must remember that Krejci has been injured for half of those games, and he is the straw that stirs the drink for the Bruins power-play, scoring 19 points on the man advantage last season. He and Chara both have been huge additions to their team and power-play since coming back from injury in mid-December. The return of Chara on Dec.13 2014 propelled Boston to get at least a point in 14 of the 16 games they have played. I would expect a team wide increase in power-play points for the remainder of the season with those two in the driver’s seat. Last season with almost the same group of players they scored on 21.74% of their chances; good for third in the NHL.

Linemates and Line Production
    Even Strength:
    56.1% Loui Eriksson – Chris Kelly – Carl Soderberg; 10 Points
    20.5% Loui Eriksson – Milan Lucic – Carl Soderberg; 2 Points
    Power-play:
    83% Patrice Bergeron – Loui Eriksson – Rielly Smith – Carl Soderberg; 4 Points

His advanced stats show that his production is sitting where it should be at the moment; nothing sticks out like a sore thumb despite his PDO being slightly above 1000. Being on a team which has been an analytical dream team for some years now; has caused his Corsi On and Corsi Relative to look quite average compared to let’s say Bergeron. This does have its advantages in one aspect and that is the coach Julien tends to use Eriksson’s line in mostly offensive zone situations.
    Eriksson is currently on pace for his best season in a Bruins uniform; 50 points with close to 20 goals (0.61 PntPG). He has struggled mightily to score goals for stretches this season; two long goal-less streaks in the first half alone. I see two reasons for this; his shots per game are close to a career low (1.80 shots per game, numbers not seen since his sophomore campaign), and unlike his days on the Dallas Stars he is not leaned heavily on to score goals; turning into more of a setup man for his line-mates Carl Soderberg and Chris Kelly. That said, he has already tied last season’s goal totals of ten. Based on the possible increase in his power-play points, and the team gelling together; 60-65 points at the end of this season is not out of the question for the former 70 point forward.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: The Renewal of Loui in Boston

I think a lot of Loui's issues last year were all around his concussion. Whether he was hurt, or nervous after coming back, I don't know but I do believe the concussions were a big part of his poor year last year. I don't expect 70+ pts for him any more, but he is a far better player than his numbers showed last year.

Good article Wfactor. I enjoy reading these.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Good points. The only thing I question is how much higher he can really go. As I noted in the midseason guide his decline started before the trade.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

i think a major reason was finding chemistry again, and like stated above his concussion last season definitely did not help that, with being healthy and having consistent line-mates in Soderberg and Kelly he should contribute closer to his previous amounts, though anything over 70 would be unexpected, he is still only 29.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren