Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tyler Johnson Not on Bench

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Tyler Johnson Not on Bench

mister-mcgoo..."You 'share' players? How does that work?"

Wikipedia explains it better than I could. (There are two basic kinds of hockey pools: draft and non-draft. In a non-draft pool, everyone simply picks a set number of players. Thus, multiple participants can have the same player among their set roster.)
    Our pool is a non-draft. So all of our 12 franchises share many of the same players on our 25 man rosters which consist of 19 forwards, 4 D and 2 rookies. In the past (and maybe even today) lots of non-draft pools (think Kenaston) didn't allow any roster changes-for any reason-for the season...set your roster before the season starts and you were stuck with it even if you picked some duds and your roster was decimated with injuries. Our pool has added some features to avoid this happening. Although there is no inter-franchise trading allowed in our pool, we are allowed 6 "switches" (trades) for the year. If I put a guy on my roster at the start of the year who hasn't been doing well I can "switch" him for a player who is doing better-even if the player I switch in is on every other franchise's roster. Switches have to be used sparingly. Our injury rule allows us to replace an injured player (after he misses one game) with another player from the same team (Johnson>Kucherov). The injured player can't be put back on our roster for at least 7 (or more) days. Also, we don't necessarily have to put our injured player back on our roster...we can keep his replacement as long as we want. IE...if Kucherov should happen to outpoint JT for a while (unlikely) I can keep Kuch as long as I want. So there is some strategy involved in our pool. It's fun. And keeps us old geezers following hockey.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by sleep87 View Post
    Because its not a H2H league or yahoo type shit. Im assuming its an officepools kinda thing. You shoulda grabbed Palat over Kuch. Or even Stamkos? Same team...
    Sleep87...I guess it is an office pools kind of thing with a few neat features. Couldn't take Stamkos...at the start of the year the guy running the pool picks 18-19 historically high scoring forwards and 6 d-men that we are NOT allowed to put on our rosters at any time through the the year. Stamkos is on this restricted list. Adds some interest as we all have to choose our rosters from a group of basically higher scoring but NON super, super star type players. Palat. A few days ago I posted a thread on the "one year" forum asking viewers to talk me out of adding Kucherov to my roster instead of any other Bolt (ex-SS) and no one did-so I went with Kuch. Mistake for one game anyway putting Kuch instead of Palat. Guess we will see. I'm only 5 days away from being able to put TJ back on my roster anyway so not too much damage should be done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    mister-mcgoo..."You 'share' players? How does that work?"

Wikipedia explains it better than I could. (There are two basic kinds of hockey pools: draft and non-draft. In a non-draft pool, everyone simply picks a set number of players. Thus, multiple participants can have the same player among their set roster.)
    Our pool is a non-draft. So all of our 12 franchises share many of the same players on our 25 man rosters which consist of 19 forwards, 4 D and 2 rookies. In the past (and maybe even today) lots of non-draft pools (think Kenaston) didn't allow any roster changes-for any reason-for the season...set your roster before the season starts and you were stuck with it even if you picked some duds and your roster was decimated with injuries. Our pool has added some features to avoid this happening. Although there is no inter-franchise trading allowed in our pool, we are allowed 6 "switches" (trades) for the year. If I put a guy on my roster at the start of the year who hasn't been doing well I can "switch" him for a player who is doing better-even if the player I switch in is on every other franchise's roster. Switches have to be used sparingly. Our injury rule allows us to replace an injured player (after he misses one game) with another player from the same team (Johnson>Kucherov). The injured player can't be put back on our roster for at least 7 (or more) days. Also, we don't necessarily have to put our injured player back on our roster...we can keep his replacement as long as we want. IE...if Kucherov should happen to outpoint JT for a while (unlikely) I can keep Kuch as long as I want. So there is some strategy involved in our pool. It's fun. And keeps us old geezers following hockey.
    Gotcha, interesting twist, I've never played that way.
    I think the first leagues I was in were simple roto categories (G, A, +-, PIM, etc) that we tallied ourselves from the newspapers each week.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Gotcha, interesting twist, I've never played that way.
    I think the first leagues I was in were simple roto categories (G, A, +-, PIM, etc) that we tallied ourselves from the newspapers each week.
    Yup...YEARS ago, before the internet, 12-14 of us would get together before the season started and have a draft. 14 players chosen per franchise. Took forever. After the 1st 4-5 rounds We'd be picking players we knew nothing about and by that time didn't even care (beer went down fast). Winner ran next years pool. So you hoped you'd finish 2nd, get some $$$, not have to run the pool and not have to check the stats weekly in the newspaper. One of the year's I ran the pool I instituted the one minute rule. We had 2-3 guys who took forever to make a pick. So I brought a stop watch. Everyone had 1 minute to pick. Didn't pick in time, on to the next one and then back to the turtle. Didn't save much time but what a hoot, slow guys bitching and grumbling and babbling. Great fun. A lot of us from back then are still involved in this pool but they are scattered all over the N.A. so no draft now. Aawww...the good old days