1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Josh Gorges

0 0%
  • Chris Tanev

1 100.00%

Thread: Josh Gorges vs Chris Tanev

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Josh Gorges vs Chris Tanev

30 team dynasty league where we keep players until they become NHL UFAs (as in they do not sign an extension). We use actual NHL cap hit and the NHL salary cap. We have a roster of up to 25 players on the pro tema Stats include G, A, +/-, hits, blocked shots, takeaways, PP TOI/game, PK TOI/game. Which player would you rather have going forward, Josh Gorges or Chris Tanev?

My team:

C: B Dubinsky, M Hanzal, A Anisimov, M Letestu
    LW: L Couture, T Vanek, Byfuglien, L Bouma
    RW: J Carter, B Burns, J Williams, L Glendening
    D: Kronwall, Braun, Brodin, Tanev, Jackman, H Lindholm

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Josh Gorges vs Chris Tanev

Isn't there an option that would provide a greater upside available? I'm not an expert with all of the additional non- standard cats, but that's got to be getting pretty deep

Dobber Sports Icon

30 teams with 20-25 man pro rosters plus unlimited farm teams for players under the age of 25. This is a VERY DEEP league that has been running for 12 years now. There is no waiver wire as the only way to add players to your team is to draft them in our 5 round draft held each off-season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well... Tanev for offensive upside.
    But here, I just take the Block-Monster named Gorges and shore up a category having him.
    (FWIW, I have Gorges rostered on my 12team/20-player dynasty salary-cap league (12F/6D/2G), we count about 9 skater cats including BLK.)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Are you able to wait on this decision until later in the year? I ask because, while we know when you'd first be at risk of having to release Gorges, Tanev's UFA year won't be known for a while. There doesn't seem to be any resentment from him toward the Canucks, but it's now been two straight years that he's been forced to accept a 1 year extension (and while negotiating with two different management groups), which I imagine is very frustrating. I'd be apprehensive that he may want to explore free agency when he's able to (as a Canucks fan, I hope not though).

If I had to choose today, I would pick Gorges, but reluctantly. He outpaces Tanev in both PP-TOI & SH-TOI; PP-wise, it's unlikely that Tanev ever gets 1st unit time, and the Canucks 2nd units have been abysmal for several years. SH, they're much closer. Tanev's average might dip a bit once Hamhuis returns, but he's the Canucks best penalty killer, and has been among the best in the league at suppressing opponent shots while on the PK for the past two years.

As Pengwin said, Tanev has more offensive upside (though it's never going to be outstanding), but Tanev will also get you great Block numbers too; not only that, but he gets those blocks while still driving play; he's legitimately good at blocking shots rather than racking them up because he gets buried in possession.

I know it sounds like I'm emphatically advocating you choose Tanev, and if you're able to wait on news of his next contract (which will likely be a lower cap hit than the 3.9 that Gorges has), I would gamble on him. However, if it's time sensitive, I would take the known, proven commodity of Gorges.
    10 Team Keep 7: 1C, 1RW, 1LW, 2D, 1G, 1Util
    Roto Scoring with G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SHP, SOG, Hits, Blocks, Wins, GAA, SVP, Saves, SO
    Projected Keepers are bolded

C - Kopitar, Malkin
    LW - Hall, Hartnell
    RW - Perry, Callahan
    D - Phaneuf, Vatanen, Gudas, Boychuk, Klingberg
    Util - Foligno, B. Schenn
    G - Lundqvist, Halak, Holtby, Bernier
    IR - Dubinsky

Dobber Sports Recruit

10 team keeper league - Keep 10 players - Head to head (one win - daily lineups)
    Stats: G, A, PTS, PPP, HIT, SOG, FOW, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    Record: 12-4-2 (T-2nd)

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kopitar, MacKinnon (RW)
    LW - Duchene (C), Perron (RW), Palat
    RW - Tarasenko, Vrbata, Pominville
    D - Byfuglien (RW), Carlson, Boychuk, Giordano
    G - Andersen, Varlamov
    IR(+) - Bobrovsky, Hall

BN - Comeau (LW/RW), Brassard (C), Vermette (C/LW), Brouwer (C/RW)
    Sumer