Thread: Zach Parise an underrated All star?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Zach Parise an underrated All star?

Zach Parise one of if not the most underrated forwards in the league?

With him being a Minnesota native, playing on his hometown team you can understand why he puts his heart and soul into every game. A former New Jersey Devil who had put up 94 points in 08/09 his fourth NHL season you can see why the Wild went out and acquired him in Free Agency. Other than a season where he only played 13 games, he has played in at least 80 games all but one other season (13/14 67 Games Played) Showing a great amount of dependability with great production to go with it.
    He's the Captain of the USA Olympic team and wears the A on the Wild he is on pace for 75 points in 77 games played. Shooting the puck at the high volume that he does it is no surprise he is a consistent 30 goal threat and once again is on pace to eclipse the 35 goal mark. Being only 30 years old he is surely going to be playing at all star levels for years to come. The only determent for me, is his playing style could cause a little more strain on his body leading to a more likely hood of reaching band aid boy status for his later years in the NHL. (It is definitely something to look for and react appropriately if it starts happening)

Stats line: 30 Games Played, 14 Goals, 15 Assists, Plus 8, 25 PIM, 7 PPP, 41 Hits, 25 Blocks, 112 Shots, 3:51 PP-TOI

His ability to produce across the board is the reason why he should be a sure fire 1st rounder for the next few years. Showing why the Wild spent 11 million to bring him over. With the scoring depth of Minnesota rounding into form he will have the luxury of teams not being able to solely focus defensive systems around shutting down his offense. It shows in his consistency the longest pointless streak being a couple two gamers, head to head owners would appreciate this being able to count of his points every week. When a player gets the minutes on the powerplay that Parise does you would expect him to have more than 7 powerplay points. But the Wild as a whole have struggled to score on the PP. With the weapons they possess for the man advantage you can expect an uptick in points in that department over the next half of the season, leading to a higher points per game percentage going forward.

Advanced Stats: Corsi On 12.65, Corsi Rel 11.5, On Ice SH% 10.19, PDO 1004, OZ S% 62.4, OZ F% 53.0, Pens Taken/60 0.7

Parise leads the Wild in corsi relative followed by Koivu (10.2), Brodin (9.8), and Pomminville (9.3) the team as a whole is very good possession wise being fourth in 5v5 shots against/60 with 26.9, their 5v5 Shots for/60 is 30.8. A solid differential of +3.9 shots a game. Chicago has a Shot Differential of 6.3, New York Isles SD of 5.1, Nasville SD of 4.1, Florida SD of 3.2. They are fourth highest in the league in shot differential and Parise has A LOT to do with this and a major reason I have for backing his ability to hit 80 points this season in 77 games, for which he would have to increase his Pts/game from 0.97% to 1.05%.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Zach Parise an underrated All star?

Nice little article. Well researched for sure.

I do really like Parise, but I think his former glory in NJ while playing alongside guys like Kovalchuk and a younger Elias are reasons why he put up 94 points that year. I see him as a 65-70pt player because of his injury woes and age.

This along with the fact that aside from shots he doesn't do much in other categories is why I don't see him as a first round pick, and debatable as a first three round pick.

Fancy stats wise his corsi is definitely solid but that is highly correlated to his OZS%, which as you mentioned is quite high.

Just a few comments. I like reading this stuff though and giving my thoughts on it.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post
    ... while playing alongside guys like Kovalchuk and a younger Elias are reasons why he put up 94 points that year.
    Just to correct you that Parise's 94 point season was before Kovalchuk was on the team.

Dobber Sports Stud

taking the above news into account i would say that Parise was more then likely the go to forward for NJD, having a younger Elias at that point passing the puck aloud him to capitalize on his scoring chances.which I would argue is similar to Granlund, though his full potential wont come until next season.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren