Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Hey Look Karlsson

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Hey Look Karlsson

You are using someones +/- to determine their ability to play on the defensive side of the game? And you call me thick?

I should have known better than to engage you in a civil conversation.

Thanks for the back and forth. It was interesting.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You are using someones +/- to determine their ability to play on the defensive side of the game? And you call me thick?

Try to pay attention. That's why I very specifically said: "I'll give you an example, it's a massive oversimplification but anything more complicated will confuse you so lets stick with very simple numbers.". Since you were struggling to even grasp the fact that "overall" entails more than just defense I tried to dumb it way down into simple two-digit numbers for you but that still went over your head. Frightening.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

He was using +/- as a simple point.

But going good play by Karlsson +1, bad play by Karlsson -1, 1 assist by Karlsson +1.5, 1 goal by Karlsson +3, goal against because of Karlsson -2 = +2.5

Something dumb like that. So Karlsson got a lot of +’s because of his offensive game, and he gets more + than – over Weber or Chara to catch up.

Simple way of one man’s thinking. G=+2, A=+1
    Karlsson:
    OP (+97) + DP (+10) = +107
    Weber:
    OP (+68) + DP (+38) = +106
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

The Norris is joke.
    +/- tells you nothing.
    Karlsson is a generational offensive d-man.
    No GM in the league would take him over Weber, especially for a playoffs.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Karlsson wasn't all that close to Chara and Weber defensively during his Norris win. Personally I want my Norris winner to be a stud defensively that puts up solid points, and I don't think he deserved it in 2011-2012. He's much closer to a Norris contender now then he was back then. The reason he did win was due to his significant offensive production, which made him the sexy pick. During the 2011-2012 season Karlsson played relatively sheltered minutes, especially compared to his competition Chara and Weber.

Offensive Zone vs Defenseive Zone
    Karlsson - 35% vs 25%
    Chara - 35% vs 36%
    Weber - 25% vs 36%

Combine that with the higher quality of competition faced by both Chara and Weber and the fact that they came out with around 50 points and significant +/- numbers just speaks more to their elite performance as an all-round defender as opposed to a primarily offensive one. It's hard to quantify the number of pucks kept out of your own net, but it's a very important factor for a defenseman.

To me, to win the Norris you should be facing the other teams top line night in night out, and still be able to post strong +/- and offensive numbers. Karlsson does that now, but he didn't when he won the Norris. To me he is a better Norris contender today than when he won back in 2011-2012, but his significant lead in points made him the sexy pick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    The Norris is joke.
    +/- tells you nothing.
    Karlsson is a generational offensive d-man.
    No GM in the league would take him over Weber, especially for a playoffs.
    And nobody would trade Weber or Karlsson for AP.

Also Sens wouldn't trade $6.5 million Karlsson at 24 for Weber at $7+ million, 29 years old

Dobber Sports Pro

So Karlsson is pretty much the most polarizing player in 2015 so far? hahah
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Titan

I like how in early December it was Gio vs Hedman race. Gio is in it still, but this is a prime example of a strong finish trumps a strong start in the Norris/Vezina
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    And nobody would trade Weber or Karlsson for AP.

Also Sens wouldn't trade $6.5 million Karlsson at 24 for Weber at $7+ million, 29 years old
    What does AP have to do with anything here? And every GM would take Weber at his age and contract over Karlsson at his age and his contract... provided, winning is the goal. So you are right, the Sens might be the one team that would prefer Karlsson seeing as winning just doesn't seem to be their thing. Karlsson is a beauty, but he is no Weber and in the playoffs, the way the games are played, the gap between Karlsson and Weber gets even wider. Karlsson should never have a won a Norris, if a Norris is, in fact, for the best defenceman in the league. He's never been that... not even really that close.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    What does AP have to do with anything here? And every GM would take Weber at his age and contract over Karlsson at his age and his contract... provided, winning is the goal. So you are right, the Sens might be the one team that would prefer Karlsson seeing as winning just doesn't seem to be their thing. Karlsson is a beauty, but he is no Weber and in the playoffs, the way the games are played, the gap between Karlsson and Weber gets even wider. Karlsson should never have a won a Norris, if a Norris is, in fact, for the best defenceman in the league. He's never been that... not even really that close.
    I forgot Weber has won all those playoff rounds and Cups. Oh wait he has won a grand total of one playoff round more than Karlsson. Those preds have done so much winning in their history. Your argument is pure crap. Karlsson is great to have no matter if it is the regular season or playoffs. I'm not going to bother with you since you're already dead wrong about "all GMs preferring Weber regardless of contract and age". Stick to the Isles and Blues.

And AP? Because you were the one going on about how he is the best dman in the league. Now that's a guy who can't even hold a candle to the top D in the league because his offensive skill is subpar compared to them

Dobber Sports Ninja

It would be VERY interesting to anonymously poll each of the 30 GM's to see who they think the "BEST defenseman in the game today" is. And ask it exactly that way, no caveat's, no age, no starting a franchise. Just a simple question with one answer.

My money would be on Drew Doughty.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I forgot Weber has won all those playoff rounds and Cups. Oh wait he has won a grand total of one playoff round more than Karlsson. Those preds have done so much winning in their history. Your argument is pure crap. Karlsson is great to have no matter if it is the regular season or playoffs. I'm not going to bother with you since you're already dead wrong about "all GMs preferring Weber regardless of contract and age". Stick to the Isles and Blues.

And AP? Because you were the one going on about how he is the best dman in the league. Now that's a guy who can't even hold a candle to the top D in the league because his offensive skill is subpar compared to them
    You forgot that hockey is a team sport. Weber makes a team better than Karlsson does. Nobody wins cups on their own dumb ass. I'm not going to bother with you because blah blah blah. Karlsson is great to have, especially in fantasy. Ottawa is lucky to have him. Weber and others are just better... if winning is the goal, that is. Karlsson is probably better if entertainment is the goal... unfortunately in Ottawa, neither seems to be a priority. At least Karlsson gets to work on his golf swing a lot and I hear Ottawa has a great ballet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    It would be VERY interesting to anonymously poll each of the 30 GM's to see who they think the "BEST defenseman in the game today" is. And ask it exactly that way, no caveat's, no age, no starting a franchise. Just a simple question with one answer.

My money would be on Drew Doughty.
    Agreed. And I think you are right that DD would be near the top of most lists, Weber too. That's how Canada wins gold medals, a D that is head and shoulders above everyone else's

Dobber Sports Padawan

Karlsson <<<<<<<< Weber and Doughty (the two best all around defenseman in my mind). Crosby made Karlsson look like a fool in the playoffs. He's also looked terrible defensively this year and has made a lot of poor plays. Like mentioned above, he is a generational talent offensively, but his defensive play really makes him a lesser overall player.

- - - Updated - - -

good to see Big Ev is still trolling this
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov