Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Hey Look Karlsson

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Hey Look Karlsson

It's not ignorant. You can't tell me that the best defensemen in the league (which I do believe the Norris was intended to reward) also happen to be the leagues top offensive ones because it would appear that the top offensive ones are the ones who are always in the running.

It's a very viable argument, and certainly not an ignorant one.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's not ignorant. You can't tell me that the best defensemen in the league (which I do believe the Norris was intended to reward) also happen to be the leagues top offensive ones because it would appear that the top offensive ones are the ones who are always in the running.
    Because offense is a part of the award…Best ALL around. Not just best defensive. I really don’t get how so many people get hung up on the defensive aspect.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

It's a very viable argument, and certainly not an ignorant one.
    No, it's pretty ignorant man. You are saying the top offensive d-man always wins it and that's false. BUT to win this trophy you have to be great offensively. That's the point of the trophy - all around defenseman. We're not giving it to some shut down d-man like Willie Mitchell. The people who say guys like Keith and Karlsson only won because of offense didn't really pay attention to either player. Karlsson was the most dominant d-man that year by far.

The award is not designed to be given to the league's best "defenceman" in terms of pure defence, and fact is the game has changed where offense = defense nowadays anyway. You are great defensively when the other team doesn't have the puck. You have to be good in all zones to win the award.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Because offense is a part of the award…Best ALL around. Not just best defensive. I really don’t get how so many people get hung up on the defensive aspect.
    On the other side, it shouldn't just be "best offensive" either.

To me it's almost criminal that someone like Ryan Suter still hasn't won this award yet.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

#De-railed lol. Sorry Karlsson readers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    #De-railed lol. Sorry Karlsson readers.
    it's not really a derailment. It applies to Karlsson. Anyway, it's funny to see that as usual people freak out when they don't get what they want in the short term. I really hope a lot of people in fantasy land don't have money in the market.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    it's not really a derailment. It applies to Karlsson. Anyway, it's funny to see that as usual people freak out when they don't get what they want in the short term. I really hope a lot of people in fantasy land don't have money in the market.
    Loving the fact I traded Kucherov+Eberle for Karlsson+Hartnell in late November now. Easily my favourite trade I’ve done ever.
    Pt’s league with only forward/Defense position locks. Everyone undervalued D-men.

Dobber Sports Pro

I originally thought someone snapped a photo of Karlsson and was all "hey look Karlsson". I am dissapointed.

Why doesn't Engelland have the Norris yet (Or Regher! Or Orpik! Or [insert "defensive" defensmen])? They have "character" and "toughness" and "clears the net" and "plays defense" and "fights" all things people think Karlsson doesn't have. That is it, Engelland for Norris!
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Pro

image1s.jpg

Hey look Karlsson!
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Banned

Hey look, Karlsson

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    No, it's pretty ignorant man. You are saying the top offensive d-man always wins it and that's false. BUT to win this trophy you have to be great offensively. That's the point of the trophy - all around defenseman. We're not giving it to some shut down d-man like Willie Mitchell. The people who say guys like Keith and Karlsson only won because of offense didn't really pay attention to either player. Karlsson was the most dominant d-man that year by far.

The award is not designed to be given to the league's best "defenceman" in terms of pure defence, and fact is the game has changed where offense = defense nowadays anyway. You are great defensively when the other team doesn't have the puck. You have to be good in all zones to win the award.
    I agree. If you honestly think the intent of the award is to give it to the league's best defensive D then you haven't been paying attention at all. Take a look back at the last 30 years in the NHL. I challenge you to show me one guy on this list who was a pure defense-first D who did not contribute heavily on the scoresheet:

1984-85:Paul Coffey
    1985-86:Paul Coffey
    1986-87:Ray Bourque
    1987-88:Ray Bourque
    1988-89:Chris Chelios
    1989-90:Ray Bourque
    1990-91:Ray Bourque
    1991-92:Brian Leetch
    1992-93:Chris Chelios
    1993-94:Ray Bourque
    1994-95:Paul Coffey
    1995-96:Chris Chelios
    1996-97:Brian Leetch
    1997-98:Rob Blake
    1998-99:Al MacInnis
    1999-00:Chris Pronger
    2000-01:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2001-02:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2002-03:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2003-04:Scott Niedermayer
    2004-05:No winner
    2005-06:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2006-07:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2007-08:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2008-09:Zdeno Chara
    2009-10: Duncan Keith
    2010-11:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2011-12:Erik Karlsson
    2012-13: P. K. Subban
    2013-14: Duncan Keith

Dobber Sports Pro

download.jpg

Hey look Karlsson

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    I agree. If you honestly think the intent of the award is to give it to the league's best defensive D then you haven't been paying attention at all. Take a look back at the last 30 years in the NHL. I challenge you to show me one guy on this list who was a pure defense-first D who did not contribute heavily on the scoresheet:

1984-85:Paul Coffey
    1985-86:Paul Coffey
    1986-87:Ray Bourque
    1987-88:Ray Bourque
    1988-89:Chris Chelios
    1989-90:Ray Bourque
    1990-91:Ray Bourque
    1991-92:Brian Leetch
    1992-93:Chris Chelios
    1993-94:Ray Bourque
    1994-95:Paul Coffey
    1995-96:Chris Chelios
    1996-97:Brian Leetch
    1997-98:Rob Blake
    1998-99:Al MacInnis
    1999-00:Chris Pronger
    2000-01:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2001-02:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2002-03:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2003-04:Scott Niedermayer
    2004-05:No winner
    2005-06:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2006-07:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2007-08:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2008-09:Zdeno Chara
    2009-10: Duncan Keith
    2010-11:Nicklas Lidstrom
    2011-12:Erik Karlsson
    2012-13: P. K. Subban
    2013-14: Duncan Keith

The best pure defensive defenceman will never EVER win. Its just not sexy. Purely offensive players can win when they are ridiculously ahead of their next best peer mostly because that is a measurable statistic. You cannot measure for being awesome defensively as it gets lost in the efforts of the entire team. Points can be directly contributed to the player who scored them even though the entire team created the environment for points to be scored. Its the nature of the beast.

Plus/Minus is a team stat and should not be the deciding factor in an individual award, but it still is. The Norris trophy is still pretty cool even though the award criteria is often shrouded in smoke. They have to call it best overall defenceman, but it is really about entertainment as they are in that industry. When someone scores so many points as to dwarf the next highest total (a la Karlsson 2012), then he'll always get the award due to the high entertainment factor. It has to be rewarded as it brings in the fans. Best actual defenceman... how many fans does that bring to the game?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    The best pure defensive defenceman will never EVER win. Its just not sexy. Purely offensive players can win when they are ridiculously ahead of their next best peer mostly because that is a measurable statistic. You cannot measure for being awesome defensively as it gets lost in the efforts of the entire team. Points can be directly contributed to the player who scored them even though the entire team created the environment for points to be scored. Its the nature of the beast.

Plus/Minus is a team stat and should not be the deciding factor in an individual award, but it still is. The Norris trophy is still pretty cool even though the award criteria is often shrouded in smoke. They have to call it best overall defenceman, but it is really about entertainment as they are in that industry. When someone scores so many points as to dwarf the next highest total (a la Karlsson 2012), then he'll always get the award due to the high entertainment factor. It has to be rewarded as it brings in the fans. Best actual defenceman... how many fans does that bring to the game?
    I disagree. Look down that list again, how many of those guys were bad defensively? None.
    Sure, you've got Coffey in there who was probably the most pure offensive-D of the bunch but he was by no means a bad defenceman, he just had more important things to do on the ice, like scoring 120 pts. But most of the guys are on that list because they excelled on both sides of the puck.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    I disagree. Look down that list again, how many of those guys were bad defensively? None.
    Sure, you've got Coffey in there who was probably the most pure offensive-D of the bunch but he was by no means a bad defenceman, he just had more important things to do on the ice, like scoring 120 pts. But most of the guys are on that list because they excelled on both sides of the puck.
    Erik Karlsson won his Norris because he put up 78 points in 2011/12. It had little to do with him being the best defenseman on both sides of the puck.

Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing season for him as far as his offense goes, but to say he was the best "overall" defenseman that year is highly debatable.