Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Hockey Mailbag - December 4, 2014

Default Re: Fantasy Hockey Mailbag - December 4, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Best bet is still Raanta, then Grubauer. I did like Murray, but the Fleury contract ruined those thoughts.

Regarding LakeSoup's response
    1. I think so too
    2. No. Not buying it, and don't believe you should bank on trades if you can help it.
    3. Yes, possible but a little iffy. They love their Golden Boy
    4. No, Philly loves Mason. Blame right now is on Read, Simmonds, Lecavalier, etc
    5. Stalock will happen this year. Thinking February you'll see the shift
    6. It's Allen's job to lose for now with the injury. But they pay Elliott well so he'll get a big share of starts until his contract is done
    What about Mrazek? How close to nipping starts from Howard?
    @SmittysRant

I...am your father.

Default Re: A couple of winger prospects

Quote Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
    Hi Dobber, Who would you rather protect in a keeper league (points only, bonus point for PP goals) - Teravainen or Ehlers?

Also, is Brodie the real deal? I'm not expecting him to keep up the pace but is 50 a possibility?

Thanks.
    I would rather protect TT

Brodie is the Brent Seabrook of this situation here. Sure, he probably has upside for 55, so he'll hit 50 and even then only if Giordano hits 65. Just like when Keith gets 65, Seabrook jumps. But when Keith gets 48 Seabrook is lucky to reach 40.

That's the best way to describe the Brodie situation. Not saying he's a similar player to Seabrook at all, I'm strictly talking offense
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Well, my night just took an unexpected turn. My sister in law went into labor. They live a few blocks from us so I had to drop everything and rush over there and grab their kids, bring them back here and get them settled.

I'll finish off these questions here and then hit the sack.

I'll do a make-up date on this - likely Sunday or Monday.

So I have four kids right now for a couple of days!

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Points only. I have a deal cooking and I am wondering what you think Nestrasil's upside and 3YP is.

Carolina isn't very deep so can he be a productive player there? Thanks
    Good question, had to go through my sheets. I have his upside at 65, but I'm not seeing anything as a pro that would indicate to me that he could even reach 40. I'd have his 3YP set at around 37 if I were putting together the Midseason Guide right now. He's the type who will have his moments if he clicks for a couple of weeks on the Staal line, but I can't see anything sustained from him. He's almost 24 so I'd like to have at least seen something even at the AHL level

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I'd like to see your take on Hornqvist now that you have some sample to draw from (compared to your guide). I'm also curious to your take on Carlson given his start.
    In the Guide I had Horny for 63 and a 10% sleeper for 72. I also had his upside for 73 and 3YP at 63. I said this about him:

Patric Hornqvist - Everyone's favorite sleeper, so he will be high on everyone's draft list and each and every person will think that they have this big CIA-type secret. But this is one instance where not only is Hornqvist work competing over, but he's worth paying for in keeper leagues. Barring an injury (which would change everything), Horny will explode alongside Malkin the way James Neal did. It may take a season to get used to each other (similar to Kunitz with Crosby), but the downside to that "transition season" is 55 or 60 points. The actual breakout season itself could be upwards of 70 or even 80. I'll keep his upside at 73 for now and re-evaluate at midseason, but I have a feeling there will be a significantly different number there for Hornqvist under "upside" in the Midseason Guide.
    So far I have bumped his 3YP to 65 and his upside to 75 as of the last rankings

John Carlson is finally doing what I saw in him as a prospect. It's his fifth full season and i do preach patience, especially when it's a defenseman. But even I was starting to get antsy about this guy. Not because of the length of time but more because of the fact that he was getting a ton of PP time last year and wasn't converting. Glad to see him pulling through finally. I cautiously value him as a 55 point defenseman now (already). It may take another year or so of this for my confidence in him to get back to where it once was - as that of a potential elite 65+ defenseman.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I got 2 questions:

First: In a pts only league (boxpool). Would you drop Gaborik for Hudler/Nash/Bozak/Kesler if you had 1 move left all year (and owning kunitz with his broken foot)? And WHO would you pick out of the mentioned.

Second question:

For league in signature any moves you see that would make my team better? In other words, who do I need to get rid of or sell highs? I am thinking Comeau is the guy leaving when Green returns from IR. The team is currently in 2nd 12 pts behind first.

Thanks!
    I would wait until a serious injury struck before using my last one. But my track record with box pools is terrible.

Shop the twins. Kick tires and see if anyone will pay fair value. I also wouldn't want Fowler on my team. I just don't like his consistency/injuries and there are poolies who would pay a high price for him.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by ddtop View Post
    For league in sig, who do you choose between Granlund and Lehtera. Id like your short vs long term call on this.
    Ty Dobs!
    short term for this year, Lehtera. Long term, over the years, Granlund

Dobber Sports Veteran

Points only
    6 keepers
    Team in sig
    Currently in 1st, 10 points ahead 2nd.
    Would you move Ovechkin to land Eberle and Karlsson?
    For the title this year?
    Keeper-wise?
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hour View Post
    Thanks for this.

How would you rank these d-men in a points only keeper. Really trying to see if Klingberg might fit in my long term plan and if I should go after him.

Klingberg
    Trouba
    E. Johnson
    J. Johnson
    Trouba
    Klingberg
    E. Johnson
    J. Johnson

Crazy I know, but I believe in Klingberg

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikerato View Post
    Thanks Dobber.

1) What is your take on Yakupov? If things don't change in Edm, is his career done?

2) Projection for Scheifele? His production has been disappointing so far.

3) Schenn was taken off the top line for the last two games. Was he just not playing well? Didn't find chemistry? What's his projection?
    Welcome!

1. Yakupov has no business in the league this year or last. The Oilers are seriously harming his development to the point where I wonder if he can recover. Either he moves to a team with a winning environment, or the Oilers become that team, before he can get things on track. While there is still (slim) hope for that dazzling 90-point upside, I'm starting to think that he'll be a regular 45- to 55-point player in his prime like an Afinogenov, with the odd big 65-point year.

2. He'll get into his 'zone' and pound out 20 points in 20 games. When? Wish I knew - then I'd be rich. But this year you will see that. And so he'll get past 50 points.

3. Schenn really lost an opportunity there, but is still a safe bet for the low 50s.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    What about Mrazek? How close to nipping starts from Howard?
    Good call on Mrazek. Forgot him. But I'd stick him in with Grubauer/Raanta category. I bet one of the three ends the 16-17 season as a starter.

Dobber Sports Stud

What do you think I should do with my goalies, most notably Lehtonen? I also have Andersen but to be honest I don't have faith in any of my goalies.

My starters: Lehtonen, Andersen
    Bench: Darling, Brodeur, Bryzgalov, C. Johnson

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Points only
    6 keepers
    Team in sig
    Currently in 1st, 10 points ahead 2nd.
    Would you move Ovechkin to land Eberle and Karlsson?
    For the title this year?
    Keeper-wise?
    With your team I sure would. You don't count shots, hits, PPPts or goals so Ovechkin is probably not a Top 5 forward to own under that system. Your keepers would be Stammer, Malkin, Karlsson, Price, Shattenkirk and then several candidates for the last spot (wait and see)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    What do you think I should do with my goalies, most notably Lehtonen? I also have Andersen but to be honest I don't have faith in any of my goalies.

My starters: Lehtonen, Andersen
    Bench: Darling, Brodeur, Bryzgalov, C. Johnson
    Drop Brodeur and Johnson. No point there. Darling is a long long shot, but you can wait two weeks before dropping him. Be smart with the waiver wire (get good skaters with potential trade value) and then try to get a third goalie using Sharp

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Well, my night just took an unexpected turn. My sister in law went into labor. They live a few blocks from us so I had to drop everything and rush over there and grab their kids, bring them back here and get them settled.

I'll finish off these questions here and then hit the sack.

I'll do a make-up date on this - likely Sunday or Monday.

So I have four kids right now for a couple of days!
    Okay, I'm done for the night and I'll shut down the mailbag for reasons quoted here. Thanks everyone, and like I said - I'll make this one up to you hopefully Sunday or Monday when things become less zoo-like!

Also, check out my waiver wire recommendations from my column today here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter