Thread: Thoughts on Hornqvist?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Thoughts on Hornqvist?

Is he only a by product of the team he's on, and his linemates? Or does he have continued singular success, a career year(s), and become a superstar on his own, among the rest? .. Or does he go cold, slow down, fade into the shadows, and/or disappear as an elite fantasy option (in standard one year leagues). How do you view him? I've heard mixed thoughts in regards to his future (success), and how he should be valued in fantasy trades.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Thoughts on Hornqvist?

He will get 30 goals and 70 points every year as long he's on that top PP unit and playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The fact he performed as he did on Nashville is impressive. A quick look at the Pittsburgh roster and you know he is a lock for playing with one of Malkin or Crosby long-term.

I'm pretty optimistic on him, and I'm not even biased since I'm not a pittsburgh fan nor do I own him in any leagues. As far as I'm concerned, he's a 70-80 pt guy now and I wouldn't worry about him falling short of that.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 737power View Post
    He will get 30 goals and 70 points every year as long he's on that top PP unit and playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Hornqvist has always been more of a goal scorer. If he gets 70 points he'll probably be in the area of 40 goals 30 assists.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 737power View Post
    Yup 100% correct. I would say 75-80 with puck luck
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Ace

One of the more interesting things about Hornqvist is how elite he is at getting pucks to the net. Outside of his 24 game rookie season, he's always shot above 3 shots a game. Maybe 20-30 players a year do that. Which is pretty impressive in itself.

BUT what's more impressive about that is that Hornqvist does it in under 17 minutes of gameplay. Of the players that shot more than 200 pucks on net last season (65 players did that) only Hartnell, Simmonds, Gallagher, Craig Smith, Cam Atkinson, Nathan Gerbe, Burns, Williams and Hornqvist shot more than 200 shots in under 17 minutes averaged a game. Only Hornqvist shot more than 3.0 shots a game in that time.

Now you take that Hornqvist, who has learned how to get shots through to the net, and to get into open space, and place him with a high end player like Malkin/Crosby and you have a very dangerous combination. Hornqvist might be shooting higher than his career average, but I think it's something that can continue as long as he's playing with one of Crosby or Malkin.

Can Hornqvist hit 30 goals? Absolutely. He's done it before without a guy like Crosby as his center. In fact I think he could hit 35 goals. Hornqvist is going to one of the new big fantasy assets in my opinion. He's in the perfect position and he's the perfect winger for the Pens.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Administrator

Hornqvist is obviously a product of the team (who doesn't benefit from having Sid and Geno as linemates?) but that isn't a problem. Nobody in Pittsburgh will challenge his spot in the top-6 anytime soon.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Horner isn't as talented as his numbers suggest but he's a smart player. To do what he does in the minutes he plays his pretty remarkable. There are other more talented players in the league who don't produce like he does. At some point it's not about how good you are but how well you can get the puck to the net and capitalize on your opportunities.

Administrator

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/Cappe...ns-for-pennies

I wrote about the Pens and their top wingers about a year ago. Obviously Hornqvist was not there yet but the same principle applies. Hornqvist and Kunitz are unchallenged in their spots. Pure gold.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

If Kunitz and Dupuis can hit 60, 70, Hornqvist can hit 70-80

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Agree w/others.
    Hornqvist is a 70-80pt player on the Pens.
    In my three ROTO leagues, there were TWO players I targeted and landed in all three:

Hornqvist, currently Yahoo! rank player #9.
    Giordano, currently Yahoo! rank player #12.

Hornqvist is a high volume shooter.
    He knows how to get pucks off his stick and on net, quickly.
    And... with PIT... the difference is that there will probably be 20-25% more pucks that find his stick... and in better SH% opportunities.
    He also should have a +15 PPP playing PP1.

So basically, he was a 50pt player in NAS.
    Add 15 points to that for the magical PP1 time in PIT.
    Add 10 points for greater SH% opportunities from playing with highly skilled playmakers.
    -----
    75pts

Easy peezy.
    The new James Neal.

Dobber Sports Superstar

was going to say he is the next James Neal. If he could get 50 in Nash then 70 in Pitt is not out of reach.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO