Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can Jake Allen steal starts?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Can Jake Allen steal starts?

Well, this thread has gone off track. Some people will just pick on anything. Be careful what you say around here fellow new guys! Or you might have to start defending your choice of words for 2 pages...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Off track indeed.

Incidently... if Elliott is NOT injured right now... who is the #1 guy going into and througout December?

Allen has played well from a highlevel, but when set up side by side and head to head, me thinks this is still Elliott's job to lose. No?

I guess we'll see how bad the injury and how long he's off the ice. but this is clearly a Golden Opportunity for Allen (who incidently... coughed up a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 in OT last night...OUCH... Enter Brodeur Stage Right... and all the drama that will come with the over reactions! lol)

I...am your father.

From my Fantasy Guide:

Now the Elliott-Allen era begins (?)! That's exactly what will happen this season, with Elliott getting a few extra starts in the first half and Allen likely catching up in the second half. Allen is the future No.1 goalie of this team, but it won't start until late in the season.
    It's not a matter of anyone taking credit for this turn of events - it's a turn of events that was pretty much a done deal/common belief as early as March but was just expedited by the injury. So let's put the pitchforks down, take your neighbor's hand and join me in singing Kumbaya
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    From my Fantasy Guide:

It's not a matter of anyone taking credit for this turn of events - it's a turn of events that was pretty much a done deal/common belief as early as March but was just expedited by the injury. So let's put the pitchforks down, take your neighbor's hand and join me in singing Kumbaya
    Well Done Dobber. now let's re-crack open that STALOCK to #1 in SanJose thread. When will that happen Father Dobber? I'm getting impatient!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Well Done Dobber. now let's re-crack open that STALOCK to #1 in SanJose thread. When will that happen Father Dobber? I'm getting impatient!
    His injury impacts this one, but I still think in mid-February you'll start to notice the shift
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    His injury impacts this one, but I still think in mid-February you'll start to notice the shift
    Thank you sir. I take that as your word...and your word is GOLDEN!

(too much pressure? lol)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Well, this thread has gone off track. Some people will just pick on anything. Be careful what you say around here fellow new guys! Or you might have to start defending your choice of words for 2 pages...
    I don't really think that's fair. Not to get into an argument, but IK and TNC were pretty equally at fault. TNC prognosticated that Allen would steal the starting job from Elliot, and then came back to the thread to brag about being right. In reality, Allen is currently starting the majority of games because of an injury to Elliot, not because he stole the starting job from him based on his play. Once Elliot gets back from injury will be the only time we can make a clear determination of who the starter is. Until that happens, TNCs "bragging" looks fairly foolish. If Rask was to get hurt would you then say Svedberg has stolen the starting job? Of course not. So it's not accurate here to proclaim Allen has stolen it. And as such, TNC doesn't have a single thing to brag for in terms of being right. He just looks a little silly.

At the same time, IK probably took his argument a little bit too far in calling TNC out and didn't need to take the argument for 3 straight pages. Also it has nothing to do with "old members" vs "new members", just seems neither forum poster was able to put their ego aside. TNC had absolutely nothing to brag about (at least not yet), but IK could have let it die.

In regards to the OP, I hope you dropped Kreider/Vermette when you initially posted this as people recommended and are now soaring past your rival into first place! Good luck. For reference, my opinion is that in the scenario where both goalies are healthy, Hitchcock will truly ride the "hot hand" approach, with a small amount of favor being given to Elliot based on his "veteran experience". As such, by the end of the year, I think you'll see that Elliot will have started a few more of the games in which either Elliot or Allen were eligible to start (as in, when both are healthy). Cheers!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Can I ask why I'm to blame here? It takes two to have an argument. I believe I had a fair argument (as rataylor22 spelled out above) and I made it. TheNoojCooj's response was that I was arguing semantics. Clearly I was not.

I'm sorry, but I get annoyed when people try to evade the point by attempting to turn the argument back around on me.

A back-up filling in for an injured starter is not "stealing starts". It's the norm for any goalie tandem.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Master

Who cares.... Sheesh! Allen looks like a real good goalie prospect. He'll either make the most of the situation or he won't. We'll know soon enough. Personally, I like it when a goalie breaks out. Its exciting and I hope it happens here.

Dobber Sports Superstar

This is an opportunity for Allen to take the ball and run with it and show us what he can do.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    This is an opportunity for Allen to take the ball and run with it and show us what he can do.
    I hope so. When it comes time to select keepers next year, I'm going to want to know if he's up to carrying the load, or if he's not ready yet. Sometimes these backups look awesome until they start playing full-time.

I'll probably hang with Fleury regardless, but it would be nice to have options.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Superstar

Hey, can we get an admin to rename this thread to "Can Marty Brodeur steal starts?"

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Brodeur starting tomorrow against Florida. Are people changing their minds about whether he is worth a pickup? I have to say I'm tempted.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I went for it, figure it's worth a gamble. If he plays well tomorrow he could get more starts on one of the top teams in the league.

Dobber Sports Stud

Let's go, 700