Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Karlsson Rant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Ultimate Karlsson Rant

That is the one knock I have on karlsson. In terms of points he is golden, but when it comes to actually defending he is a coaches worse nightmare. I often wonder what would happen if suddenly Karlsson runs into a dry spell and can't put the puck in the net. At least with guys like Shea Weber if they don't score they make their opponents pay on hits and block shots. Its one reason I think Shea Weber is the best defenseman in the NHL.

But like it was mentioned before Karlsson will win the norris based on his points alone, when really I think the norris should be award to a player that encompasses the entire role of a defenseman and not just points. Just my two cents.
    [I]12 Team Salary Cap Keeper:
    Fowards: Points Only
    Defenseman: Points & .1 points for hits and BS
    Goalies: 2 pts for win & 3 pts for shutout.

Dobber Sports Wizard

We need an EK douchiness thread.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Dude will still win the norris this year. Book it.
    Book it? LOL Didn't you say there was no way the Sens would get Legwand?

After watching him play twice against the Hawks over the last week, put me on the Karlsson-is-overrated listed. Kris Versteeg made him look like a 1st year player when he walked around him and scored a goal. Frickin' Kris Versteeg??

I have him on my fantasy team which is exactly where I want him.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Banned

He's not overrated. He made a good play to actually get to versteeg in the first place. Plus right now he's playing without a steady partner. The haters in this bread will look back at the end of the year at his greatness and wish they could take their comments back.

Like me I said though his d was way better before his injury. **** Matt Cooke.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZero View Post
    That is the one knock I have on karlsson. In terms of points he is golden, but when it comes to actually defending he is a coaches worse nightmare. I often wonder what would happen if suddenly Karlsson runs into a dry spell and can't put the puck in the net. At least with guys like Shea Weber if they don't score they make their opponents pay on hits and block shots. Its one reason I think Shea Weber is the best defenseman in the NHL.

But like it was mentioned before Karlsson will win the norris based on his points alone, when really I think the norris should be award to a player that encompasses the entire role of a defenseman and not just points. Just my two cents.
    Blocked shots isn't a good defensive stats. The Sens actually don't block shots on purpose as a strategy.

Dobber Sports Master

I can't see it. Sure, we are early in the year, and I expect Karlsson will get his share of points, but with advanced stats becoming more and more commonplace then I think the writers / hockey gurus who vote on who wins the Norris (and other awards) will be more likely to look at some of these new stats, and consider them when deciding to vote. Guys like Keith, Pietrangelo and Weber will score points, but also tally up on the hits, BS, and other "new" peripheral measuring sticks. Karlsson will fall behind on some of these other categories.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I can't see it. Sure, we are early in the year, and I expect Karlsson will get his share of points, but with advanced stats becoming more and more commonplace then I think the writers / hockey gurus who vote on who wins the Norris (and other awards) will be more likely to look at some of these new stats, and consider them when deciding to vote. Guys like Keith, Pietrangelo and Weber will score points, but also tally up on the hits, BS, and other "new" peripheral measuring sticks. Karlsson will fall behind on some of these other categories.
    advanced stas would favour karlsson actually, because he takes a ton of shots. Hits and blocked shots aren't a part of advanced stats. The blocks is actually negative. The only area he would fail in is shot attempts against but he plays so much that is misleading anyway.

anyway this was a poor week for him with a -5. He will move on from it. He has been fantastic otherwise.

Dobber Sports Ace

Blocked shots isn't a good defensive stats. The Sens actually don't block shots on purpose as a strategy.
    Maybe they should exclude their goalies from this strategy.

Dobber Sports Icon

Sigh, BigEv, it's statements like this that cause everyone to take your posts with a giant grain of salt. Karlsson has a chance to win the Norris this year, and frankly every year, but to guarantee he'll win it, come on. Jack Edwards is an ass-clown, no need to respond to that rant. Accept Karlsson for what he is, one of the world's premier offensive defensemen (in my opinion, the very best), but with lots of competition when it comes to ALL-AROUND defensive contributions. I'd be surprised if he wins another Norris any time soon, there are so many other incredibly well-rounded Dmen who have never won (Weber, top of the list).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by distantyeti58 View Post
    yes exactly like karllson, but karllson has been more consistent offensively ( less injuries) which shadows his defense to average hockey fans, im not saying hes amazing at defense, hes not even good at defense hes brutal in his own zone, he shows flashes but only for a few shifts, but his play in the offensive zone is in a tier of its own when it comes to d-men

You cannot compare Mike Green defensively to Erik Karlsson, they're not even close, Karlsson is much better at positioning and stick work, which makes up for his lack of size / physicality. You can't go by the last few games to judge Karlsson's D play, it's too small a sample size and doing that you'd say he's terrible defensively - he is not, people forget he put up a +16 in 2012 and was +8 after 17 games before the Achilles injury, in both cases on subpar teams.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Sigh, BigEv, it's statements like this that cause everyone to take your posts with a giant grain of salt. Karlsson has a chance to win the Norris this year, and frankly every year, but to guarantee he'll win it, come on. Jack Edwards is an ass-clown, no need to respond to that rant. Accept Karlsson for what he is, one of the world's premier offensive defensemen (in my opinion, the very best), but with lots of competition when it comes to ALL-AROUND defensive contributions. I'd be surprised if he wins another Norris any time soon, there are so many other incredibly well-rounded Dmen who have never won (Weber, top of the list).
    Agreed.
    Brent Burns might actually win the Norris trophy if we are eliminating Defensive hockey.
    I don't remember seeing much of Karlsson before his injury but I've seen him a few times this year and he just looks awful defensively.
    He looks like that skinny ankle biter who looks out of place in peewee tryouts. (yes, Versteeg contributed to that!)
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Banned

trade him right now. His -50 is gonna kill you this year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Anyone thinks this guy is a good responsible defenceman is nuts. He's a great player but he's a forward and should be moved off the D. He kills his team far more then he benefits them playing D. There is no way anyone can possibly dispute this. True star D-men put up good points and play amazing D like Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo for example. Karlsson is a disaster because he wants to score like Brian Leetch and back check like Ovechkin. How about he plays like a responsible Dman first then lets see if the points come. If they don;t then so be it at least he's not a liability to his team. What a disaster.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ds760 View Post
    Anyone thinks this guy is a good responsible defenceman is nuts. He's a great player but he's a forward and should be moved off the D. He kills his team far more then he benefits them playing D. There is no way anyone can possibly dispute this. True star D-men put up good points and play amazing D like Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo for example. Karlsson is a disaster because he wants to score like Brian Leetch and back check like Ovechkin. How about he plays like a responsible Dman first then lets see if the points come. If they don;t then so be it at least he's not a liability to his team. What a disaster.
    anyone who agrees with this and calls him a forward is truly a moron. He's a defenceman. Period. If you think he's a liability to his team, your opinion is worthless. There's not much else to say. Give me Neg rep or whatever if you want, but moronic opinions from ignorant fans like this one are way too common.

the fact that you're implying he isn't a star dmen whereas a guy lik Shattenkirk is is hilarious. Try watching Karlsson for a long period before insulting him like that.

Banned

Guy wins norris. Let's move him to forward. Just classic.