Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Star Wars quest - milestone!

I...am your father.

Default My Star Wars quest - milestone!

The 111th book (about 40 or 50 novels, 65 or so novellas). I started this quest to read all of the Star Wars books in order of the canon 20 months ago. And today I start the 111th book - A New Hope

I finally get to the movie that started it all.

I'm enjoying this. Learning a lot about the universe. I liked many books from the Old Republic (Darth Bane), but so far I think the best era is between the second and third movies (i.e. The Clone Wars). I've even been watching the Clone Wars series, and that's actually a pretty good series.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: My Star Wars quest - milestone!

Dedicated you are. Mmhmm.

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's cool Dobber, didn't know that you were that into Star Wars. I'm also really into the Star Wars novels ....just wait until you get past the timeline of Return of the Jedi....there are a lot of amazing storylines. I haven't read the series yet but I've heard the Yuuzhan Vong war saga was just insane.

I really recommend the Rogue Squadron series. I still need to pick up that new one they released a couple of years ago. Legacy of the Force was pretty awesome too. I started the Fate of the Jedi series but lost interest while waiting for the new books to become published.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    That's cool Dobber, didn't know that you were that into Star Wars. I'm also really into the Star Wars novels ....just wait until you get past the timeline of Return of the Jedi....there are a lot of amazing storylines. I haven't read the series yet but I've heard the Yuuzhan Vong war saga was just insane.

I really recommend the Rogue Squadron series. I still need to pick up that new one they released a couple of years ago. Legacy of the Force was pretty awesome too. I started the Fate of the Jedi series but lost interest while waiting for the new books to become published.
    The Vong War saga is insane. It's pretty awesome actually. I'm currently rereading it for the 3rd time (it's like 20ish books or more by itself). It's a fun read. Definitely suggest it. If you liked Legacy of the Force, the Yuuzhan Vong War series speaks to it a lot. A few books from it really lead directly into it and inform you of a certain character's journey (you'll know who I'm talking about, I don't want to say anything that might ruin it for dobber). It's very interesting.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Banned

have you watched Star Wars Rebels yet Dobbs? Pretty well done considering it's Disney, hopefully it gives us cause for cautious optimism that the new movies won't completely suck like the last 3.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'll hump to that!!
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    have you watched Star Wars Rebels yet Dobbs? Pretty well done considering it's Disney, hopefully it gives us cause for cautious optimism that the new movies won't completely suck like the last 3.
    It's been ok IMO. It's a little too focused on capturing that classic Star Wars feel for me to really love it personally. But I like it. I'll definitely keep watching it. Maybe I'm just bitter that they didn't want to continue with the edgier tone that Clone Wars had, and I'm definitely a little bitter that they canned a lot of fantastic stories as officially canon, Legacy of the Force, Yuuzhan Vong War, Thrawn trilogy (definitely this one...)
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I'm still working my way through clone wars series, but I plan to watch the Rebels pilot/movie with my daughters within the next week or two before watching New Hope again with them (now that I've read New Hope - I like watching the SW movies after I read it, gives a new perspective)

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    It's been ok IMO. It's a little too focused on capturing that classic Star Wars feel for me to really love it personally. But I like it. I'll definitely keep watching it. Maybe I'm just bitter that they didn't want to continue with the edgier tone that Clone Wars had, and I'm definitely a little bitter that they canned a lot of fantastic stories as officially canon, Legacy of the Force, Yuuzhan Vong War, Thrawn trilogy (definitely this one...)
    What, Vong War and Thrawn won't be canon? Or did they leave it open-ended and some could be canon, but some may deviate? Can't wait to get to those books

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Didn't we already have a thread a while ago about how NOTHING in the extended universe canon after Disney revealed their plans? Pretty surr we already talked about that. They won't let anything get in the way of their plans. So no Thrawn canon, no Rogue Squadron canon, etc. It's a pity but at the same time I understand how JJ Abrams wants creative freedom.

Edit: Yep, we did, in your original book project thread. http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?164850-Big-fantasy-book-endeavor&highlight=Star%3B+wars%3B+canon

Dobber Sports Master

Dobber, you are a man after my own heart. I am also a huge Star Wars fan, and started reading the novels / novellas in order back in 2005 shortly after the release of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Of course at that time, many of the new Old Republic novels hadn't yet been published, so I started with, what was at the time, the earliest novella (chronologically speaking as per the Star Wars timeline) Darth Maul: Saboteur. I have since read at least 98 pieces (counting mostly the novels, but have read a number of Dark Horse Comics from the same eras ) and find myself staring at the cover of the next one on my list: Troy Denning's Invincible; the conclusion to the Legacy of the Force series.
    As I said before, I haven't read many of the Old Republic stories, but do plan on reading them once I have finished with "Legacy". I won't spoil things for you, but if I may suggest two things: 1) skip "The Crystal Star" as it is absolutely terrible (one of the worst novels I have ever read) and does nothing to add to the EU at all, and 2) don't be surprised if you find you have to force yourself to read through some of the more tedious part of The New Jedi Order (the Vong) and any of these later, longer series. Personally, I liked it better when the writers stuck to the formulaic trilogy to tell a shorter, but stronger story.
    I am curious, who is your favorite Star Wars author? My two faves are Timothy Zahn and Matthew Stover.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    What, Vong War and Thrawn won't be canon? Or did they leave it open-ended and some could be canon, but some may deviate? Can't wait to get to those books
    They made the decision to keep only the movies, and the Clone Wars tv show as canon. I suspect they'll use elements from the extended universe as they see fit but they won't let it limit them. Speculation for the new movies has Han and Leia's children Jacen and Jaina, both who are major extended canon characters, which if true shows a willingness to use canon but not get bogged down by it. I'll be severely pissed if they don't use the Vong or Thrawn at some point. The two are such awesome stories...

I suspect they'll use the extended universe as..."old canon" and kind of go with a weird A canon/B canon type stuff. It's canon until it's not, and anything from them is prime canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Didn't we already have a thread a while ago about how NOTHING in the extended universe canon after Disney revealed their plans? Pretty surr we already talked about that. They won't let anything get in the way of their plans. So no Thrawn canon, no Rogue Squadron canon, etc. It's a pity but at the same time I understand how JJ Abrams wants creative freedom.

Edit: Yep, we did, in your original book project thread. http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...+wars%3B+canon
    Creative freedom but they'll probably use elements from it.

G - Murray, Grubauer

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I am curious, who is your favorite Star Wars author? My two faves are Timothy Zahn and Matthew Stover.
    Add Drew Karpyshyn to this list. Awesome Darth Bane and Darth Revan stuff

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    They made the decision to keep only the movies, and the Clone Wars tv show as canon. I suspect they'll use elements from the extended universe as they see fit but they won't let it limit them. Speculation for the new movies has Han and Leia's children Jacen and Jaina, both who are major extended canon characters, which if true shows a willingness to use canon but not get bogged down by it. I'll be severely pissed if they don't use the Vong or Thrawn at some point. The two are such awesome stories...

I suspect they'll use the extended universe as..."old canon" and kind of go with a weird A canon/B canon type stuff. It's canon until it's not, and anything from them is prime canon. .
    This is what I'm hoping for. Take the characters in a different direction, but at least use them. And use whatever great storylines fit into the new canon.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is what I'm hoping for. Take the characters in a different direction, but at least use them. And use whatever great storylines fit into the new canon.
    Yeah this would be ideal IMO. Keeps service to some of the better storylines and characters from the Extended Universe but allows them to write new stories or change certain things about it.

Like the Jacen Solo story is wayyyyyy too good to just not include it (I'm not going into specifics so as to not ruin things for you haha).

G - Murray, Grubauer