Thread: The Leafs Front Office is a Horribly Awkward Mess

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default The Leafs Front Office is a Horribly Awkward Mess

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: The Leafs Front Office is a Horribly Awkward Mess

Agree wholeheartedly that Nonis' influence and role with the Leafs has diminished greatly. That usually happens when a new president/CEO/high-executive of a private company is hired on - he/she clean out the "old guard" and install their own staff whom they're familiar with and have found success with. It must be somewhat unnerving for Nonis to look around and see guys like Poulin and Loiselle get turfed and see Dubas and Hunter join the team. However, Nonis should still be considered one of Burke's guys and if Shanahan is truly going to have his people in place with his "stamp", that means Nonis will inevitably be fired.

At the end of the day, this is a business. Nonis isn't an idiot and likely understands what's forecasted for him, but he's a pro and I'm sure that when the time comes, he'll say all the right things and act accordingly. With that, I'd argue that Shanahan should only dismiss him if he believes it's the right time and if he has his own GM chosen and ready to take on that office. It would be a mistake to have Dubas in the role as interim GM, as it would be for any other newcomer to the organization. Nonis probably has a little bit of a shelf life left with the Leafs, but from a PR perspective, it would probably be very unwise from this angle to fire Nonis as the Leafs have proven to be inconsistent, but aren't nearly as bad as teams like the Sabres, Canes or other teams destined for a lottery pick.

IF by March the Leafs aren't close to making the playoffs, I could see Nonis and Carlyle being jettisoned. Neither are Shanahan's guys and this is probably the last kick at the can for Burke's vision of what a Cup-contender looks like in Toronto. I'd imagine that Shanahan will do his due diligence and ensure that he finds the right GM and coach before Nonis and Carlyle are relieved.