Thread: Do the Leafs need to get rid of Phaneuf to be successful?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Do the Leafs need to get rid of Phaneuf to be successful?

I was in a pretty good conversation with friends last night, and one particular friend (who has been completely fed up with Phaneuf for over 2 years now) is convinced that in order for the Leafs to ever be successful again, they need to trade him.. Or at the very least strip him of the "C" and limit his playing time more (which really they cant do considering what he's getting paid)
    He even goes as far as being willing to include Kessel in a package just to get rid of Dion (he's alone on that stance as i dont think thats a good idea at all)

These epic collapses that have occured during the last 3 seasons for Toronto he suggests all stem from Phaneuf.. not him individually, but what he exudes as the captain and leader of the Leafs. The way in which he acts (sometimes embellishing hits/contact towards him), how he gets punked off and doesnt stand up for himself like he used to. More or less, it seems as though he isnt respected around the league as captains of a team should be. (Something else to note: He's never captained a team before dating as far back as his peewee years).. he doesnt seem like a player who's a quality change room character, or someone that can change a game's momentum on the ice when needed like a captain should (maybe we're wrong about the last one.. but you get the point)

Now, we dont have a problem with him as a player alone.. however, he shouldn't be used the way in which he currently is..
    but considering his contract and the fact that he has the captaincy, its most likely not going to change.
    He seems too stiff at times (maybe he should downgrade on those enormous shoulder pads), and way too slow as he nears the end of his shifts (needs to shorten them up).. but hes getting thrown out there constantly..

All these factors combined lead to a negative trickle down affect on the team, leaving the Leafs without the makeup for a solid character team. Even Shanahan continues to say he's waiting for the team to find an identity for itself. Don't you think a team whose main core has been together for a few years now should have an identity already?? Seems to us that its a lack of quality leadership from Phaneuf thats the main key to this.

Anyways, thats what we were talking about yesterday and i thought i would share it with you guys?

What say you? agree, disagree?
    are we just acting like bitter Leaf fans?
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Administrator

Default Re: Do the Leafs need to get rid of Phaneuf to be successful?

I don't think it NEEDS to happen but I do think there are better ways to spend $7 million a year that would ultimately make them a better team.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports All-Star

I don't think Phaneuf alone will do it. The entire team lacks initiative and leadership, not to mention a star center. They get a guy like Shea Weber or Chara on that roster and the entire dynamic of the team would completely change, kind of like what Pronger did with EDM.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I don't think it NEEDS to happen but I do think there are better ways to spend $7 million a year that would ultimately make them a better team.
    Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    I don't think Phaneuf alone will do it. The entire team lacks initiative and leadership, not to mention a star center. They get a guy like Shea Weber or Chara on that roster and the entire dynamic of the team would completely change, kind of like what Pronger did with EDM.
    Agreed.. a lot of work needs to be done to get this team to the next level, but without getting rid of Phaneuf to clear up a spot for a Weber or Chara type (because with his salary there isn't room for both) it can't start happening.. It just seems like the team is complacent with how things are working at the moment and I'm scared that no part of the management will spearhead the initiative to improve the team by making a big move thats needed.. Especially in this Toronto market and with all the backlash that the Kessel/Seguin trade got (even though it didnt turn out so bad).. and with the financial success of the franchise, there's never going to be any sense of desperation to make these types of moves..

Shouldnt these points be clear to see for the management? im just hoping at some point winning becomes the priority
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports All-Star

Management and Ownership is the biggest drivers for any type of change. The problem with old Toronto ownership was that making money was the priority and less attention was pushed on winning. As long as the franchise keeps making ridiculous amounts of revenue in Toronto, I don't think you will hear too much complaining from ownership about those close ones that they should've won.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Management and Ownership is the biggest drivers for any type of change. The problem with old Toronto ownership was that making money was the priority and less attention was pushed on winning. As long as the franchise keeps making ridiculous amounts of revenue in Toronto, I don't think you will hear too much complaining from ownership about those close ones that they should've won.
    i agree with you, but i think if they are focused on revenue wouldn't that make them want to be a contending team even more, i mean playoffs games are all profit and just increase it, the players salaries are based on the regular season so the players dont really get paid more to be in the playoffs, so if they are focused on revenue then they should be focused on building a winning team.
    Multi-Cat League G,A,P, PIMS,HITS,BLKS, SOG, PPP, GAA, Sv%, Wins
    15 Team Dynasty Salary cap league using AAV
    Active: 12 FWDS 6 Defence 2 Goalies
    Bench: 5
    Farm: 10

F: Larkin, Zibanejad, Gaudreau, Tavares, Laine, Lafreniere, Suzuki, Dach, Comtois, Glass, Zadina, Villardi, Mittlestadt, Virtanen, Saad
    D: Chychrun, Sergachev, Dumba, Ty Smith, OEL, Dermott, Brodie
    G:Rittich, Quick, Cal Petersen, Desmith

Farm: Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Podkolzin, Gunler, Drysdale, Byram, Askarov, Ukko-pekka Lukkonen, Dustin Wolf

2021 rookie Draft:: 4 1st rd picks

2022 draft: 6 1st rd picks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

That 49 million extension was just about the most ludicrous contract I've seen in the new CBA NHL.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Getting rid of Phaneuf isn't going to magically propel the Leafs into success. I'd agree that ownership and the endless flow of revenue have a factor in the Leafs' woes for the last long while, but management (Burke and Nonis) needs to take a large share of the responsibility as well.

As "flawed" as Phaneuf may be in terms of his character, no one put a gun to Burke's head when the decision was made to name Phaneuf captain. Looking back, the trade was a good once since Hagman and Mayers have since departed and Stajan has become a bottom-six centreman with limited offensive upside. But part of being a good GM is effectively evaluating player traits on and off the ice. I have no idea if the rumours about Phaneuf's behavior in Calgary are true or not (heard one that he and Iginla got into a fistfight at one point, another that he was shunned from his teammates), but he doesn't seem to have the ability to focus the team and lead by example. The league's best captains like Toews, Zetterberg, Crosby, Weber, etc have obviously earned the respect of their teammates and their respective organizations. Can the same be said of Phaneuf? I highly doubt it.

The core that Burke/Nonis have settled on isn't going to get the Leafs to the Cup. Kessel is a fine offensive player and has one of the best shots in the league, but he's the furthest thing from a leader and he's easily intimidated. Lupul is chronically-injured. Clarkson's upside is limited and its unlikely that he'll score 30 goals in a season again. The Leafs' "depth" at centre isn't nearly as impressive as other teams that actually contend. Rielly and Gardiner look good, but there are still serious problems up front with depth and consistency.

I can see how Phaneuf bears the brunt of fan angst because of his evident mistakes at times, but I think fans need to look at the bigger picture when wondering why the Leafs aren't successful.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I agree with Steve, they don't need to get rid of him to win but I honestly think Phaneuf is the worst captain in the NHL. I mean he's just so incredibly lazy and uncaring. When you watch him play he just looks like he's lumbering around, his skating itself is just so half assed. He looks like someone who hates their job and doesn't want to be there but knows they have to be so they just do the bare minimum and try to slide under the radar. I don't think he cares if they win or lose, if he scores or gets scored on. He's just.. there. He is the epitome of the Leafs as a whole right now I think, as mentioned. Unfortunately for Leaf fans his play combined with his ridiculous contract pretty much guarantees he's a Leaf until the end. Their only move I think is to find a true #1 defenseman - like they grow on trees right? haha - to take the load off and find a way to shelter Phaneuf. A lot.

Dion when he actually cared.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tyler Bozak is the #1 C, but Dion is the problem? There are gaping holes on this roster, and Dion eats piles of tough minutes.......Leaf fans love to make him the scapegoat, but you're even worse off without him.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon