Thread: Sportsnet does up a top 30 draft prospect list

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Sportsnet does up a top 30 draft prospect list

So Damien Cox is now a pro scout, or so he thinks he is at least. He does up a top 30 draft prospect list for Sportsnet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...hl-qmjhl-ncaa/
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Sportsnet does up a top 30 draft prospect list

I actually like that list a bit more than some I've been seeing recently. I do think Marner and White will rise though and Zacha fall slightly.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So Damien Cox is now a pro scout, or so he thinks he is at least. He does up a top 30 draft prospect list for Sportsnet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...hl-qmjhl-ncaa/
    It looks like it's more of a compilation list, sort of like Bobby Mac's list on TSN. In fact I'd bet that Sportsnet might actually be trying to get a thing like that going, to get their foot in that door.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Administrator

Do I even dare click?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

I flop back and forth between Damien Cox and Ken Campbell (THN) as my absolute least favorite hockey journalists to the point that I don't even usually read their articles anymore. Ryan Lambert (Puck Daddy) is quickly approaching that territory as well although he is much more knowledgeable than the other two twits.

I will trust Brendan Ross much further when it comes to prospects than anything that comes from Cox.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Deity

I am skeptical Cox did a lot of the research for these kids. Lets be honest, the top 3-4 were pretty much automatic anyway.

If there's one thing Damien Cox knows, it's tennis. He will be the first to tell you that is his first love. Trust me, if you follow him on twitter you will soon understand that.

I don't think I have ever read one tweet or snippet from him about an NHL prospect before. I have no idea why Sportnet is even referring to him for prospect reports.

I'll take Craig Button over him any day of the week.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

I am skeptical Cox did a lot of the research for these kids. Lets be honest, the top 3-4 were pretty much automatic anyway.

If there's one thing Damien Cox knows, it's tennis. He will be the first to tell you that is his first love. Trust me, if you follow him on twitter you will soon understand that.

I don't think I have ever read one tweet or snippet from him about an NHL prospect before. I have no idea why Sportnet is even referring to him for prospect reports.

I'll take Craig Button over him any day of the week.
    Did anyone even take the time to even half ass read the article?

Right before the ranking starts he writes this.

With contributions from NHL and CHL scouts and executives and CHL insiders Gare Joyce, Jeff Marek and Sam Cosentino, here’s Sportsnet’s Top 30 Prospects list:
    Doesn't claim it as is own ranking, doesn't mention he has any involvement and specifically says "Sportsnet's" ranking. It's not his ranking if you took even 5 seconds to brows the article. Sportsnet has decent coverage of CHL hockey (hence why the list is CHL heavy), it's only natural they'd make the next step and go into the Draft reporting. They're clearly just using Cox's name to get it started, similar to how Bobby Mac's ranking isn't actually his ranking but a collection of scouts he polls.

Cox is an idiot but he never claims to be a scout in the article.

The list isn't even half bad to be honest.
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Pro

I know I cannot stand him and wish they did not keep him. I do not trust him to have a list of anything hockey related, so I am hoping it is written by someone else and he just taks credit for it
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    Did anyone even take the time to even half ass read the article?

Right before the ranking starts he writes this.

Doesn't claim it as is own ranking, doesn't mention he has any involvement and specifically says "Sportsnet's" ranking. It's not his ranking if you took even 5 seconds to brows the article. Sportsnet has decent coverage of CHL hockey (hence why the list is CHL heavy), it's only natural they'd make the next step and go into the Draft reporting. They're clearly just using Cox's name to get it started, similar to how Bobby Mac's ranking isn't actually his ranking but a collection of scouts he polls.

Cox is an idiot but he never claims to be a scout in the article.

The list isn't even half bad to be honest.
    I half ass read it but the whole reason I read it half assed was due to the name I saw at the top of it. The "fine print" at the top wasn't a priority or the reason I went to the article.

Dobber Sports Ace

I half ass read it but the whole reason I read it half assed was due to the name I saw at the top of it. The "fine print" at the top wasn't a priority or the reason I went to the article.
    I apoligze for the unnecessarily harsh response. Just saying soemtimes a snap judgement shouldn't be made until all the fine print is read. It is there for a reason.

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I flop back and forth between Damien Cox and Ken Campbell (THN) as my absolute least favorite hockey journalists to the point that I don't even usually read their articles anymore. Ryan Lambert (Puck Daddy) is quickly approaching that territory as well although he is much more knowledgeable than the other two twits.

I will trust Brendan Ross much further when it comes to prospects than anything that comes from Cox.
    That's what so frustrating about Lambert. He knows his stuff pretty well, but chooses to be a douchebag instead.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Icon

I'm in the same boat. I skimmed it because of the name. IceWookie is right though, probably should reserve judgement if we aren't willing to read the whole thing... but I really can't stand reading anything hockey related published by Cox. I rarely unfollow anyone on Twitter but I made an exception for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    That's what so frustrating about Lambert. He knows his stuff pretty well, but chooses to be a douchebag instead.
    I can't get over his negativity. Even when he posts about something positive, he usually finds a way to put a negative spin on it.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I can't get over his negativity. Even when he posts about something positive, he usually finds a way to put a negative spin on it.
    Ya, it's tough too because he's responsible for most of the real interesting articles on Puck Daddy....Trending Topics and What We Learned. I want to read those articles because there's the potential for some good info in them, but I have to slog through his shitty comments and just off-the-wall stuff. Snap judgements galore, which is frustrating because sometimes he'll write something and you're like holy crap that makes so much sense.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Ya, it's tough too because he's responsible for most of the real interesting articles on Puck Daddy....Trending Topics and What We Learned. I want to read those articles because there's the potential for some good info in them, but I have to slog through his shitty comments and just off-the-wall stuff. Snap judgements galore, which is frustrating because sometimes he'll write something and you're like holy crap that makes so much sense.
    You gotta understand who his target audience is. It's not you or me, the more hardcore fans. It's the average US fan who likes to see those kid of snap judgements. It's resonates with that audience really well. As the blog gets bigger and more popular, it's unfortunately going to lead to that more and more I think.

Totally random tangent question on teh topic of Ryan Lambert, why is Nashville in his "What We Learned" artcile always referred to as "America's favorite team"?

G - Murray, Grubauer