Thread: A Flyers Norris Candidate? Damn Streit!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default A Flyers Norris Candidate? Damn Streit!

For all the criticism Philadelphia's blue line has received, how on earth can it produce an actual Norris Trophy Candidate?

http://goo.gl/4VKZvI

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: A Flyers Norris Candidate? Damn Streit!

Shenanigans... Streit is a great dman I'll grant you but a season ending injury bug would have to hit a couple dozen defensemen around the league for this to happen.

It was a fun read but man o man you guys must really be bored to come up with some of the stuff you write... Any more farfetched and I'd mistake it as a writeup from The Onion.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    Shenanigans... Streit is a great dman I'll grant you but a season ending injury bug would have to hit a couple dozen defensemen around the league for this to happen.

It was a fun read but man o man you guys must really be bored to come up with some of the stuff you write... Any more farfetched and I'd mistake it as a writeup from The Onion.
    I'll admit it's farfetched in the aspect that these awards have turned into a popularity contest. Look at last season's winner, for example. Nothing against Duncan Keith, but there's NO WAY he was the "best defenseman" in the league last year. No way.

Banned

Jesus Christ

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    I'll admit it's farfetched in the aspect that these awards have turned into a popularity contest. Look at last season's winner, for example. Nothing against Duncan Keith, but there's NO WAY he was the "best defenseman" in the league last year. No way.
    It's farfetched in the aspect that Streit just isn't nearly a good enough defenseman to do it. Plain and simple. Not a top 30 dman.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's farfetched in the aspect that Streit just isn't nearly a good enough defenseman to do it. Plain and simple. Not a top 30 dman.
    Points wise, he is. And let's face it, that trophy is more offense oriented than actually playing the position masterfully.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    Points wise, he is. And let's face it, that trophy is more offense oriented than actually playing the position masterfully.
    Tell that to Big Z. Or Duncan Keith. Or Drew Doughty. They are all-stars in all three ends of the ice.

I think what we're trying to say is that Streit would be the best ALL AROUND dman (i.e the #1 Dman) on maybe one or two NHL teams. Streit's strengths lie in his offensive prowess more so than his defensive and even then I could name off two dozen defensemen that play the game better in all three zones of the rink. For example, and let's not even talk about offense for a second, Streit would not be taken over Chara, Weber, Keith, Doughty, Hedman, Suter, Ekman-Larsson, McDonagh, etc... (I could probably name 15-20 more #1 Dmen who I'd take over him in all 3 zones) in a shutdown role.

And to defend Karlsson's trophy - the swede has played 180 games (missed 31 games in the shortened season) in the past 3 seasons and has produced 166 points (33 more points than Keith (2nd on that list) who played 28 more games) - for whatever weaknesses he still may possess in his own end (though he has gotten much better - especially last season) he does more than enough in the O-zone to be considered a masterful blue liner. He can do what no other defenseman in the league can - is that not the definition of "playing the position masterfully"?
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko