Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: An Axe To Grind!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: An Axe To Grind!

I did consider some others for the D position but no one really stood out like Trouba when it came to crazy evaluations.

As I say, this is what I have seen this summer on these forums when it came to people asking for advice on trades for these players. I see them all as simply being overvalued in trade talks. Lets be honest, every time you saw MacKinnon vs anyone, your initial thought was MacKinnon without even looking at the league setup or really who the other player even was.

And I am sorry but he is not a generational player. This is the problem with MacKinnon and his evaluation on these forums. If he's a generational talent then so is Patty Kane, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Claude Giroux, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, and every other player with PPG potential or "top 10 point producer". Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player but he is not generational. When he starts scoring at a 1.3 or 1.5 PPG rate like Crosby, then we can start to consider him that way. Until then, lets just call him a good young player and evaluating him that way. A generational talent shouldn't be questioned if he is going to be the 1st overall in his draft year. Wasn't Seth Jones expected to be drafted ahead of him???
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Nice debut, Chris, and I love the creative theme. Potential, especially potential superstars, always has more mystique than the known value of proven players. It really depends on the context of the league rules. One important factor to consider is the value of ELCs in a capped league. This is where these so-called over-valued players can become very valuable. It also depends on at what stage a given owner is in the development of his team. Using the hypothetical Weber for Drouin trade, for example, this may not help the team giving up Drouin if they're in the early stages of a rebuild. Weber would also cost 10 times as much in a capped league.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great piece Axe.
    Now... ya just need a cool logo... like a Viking with a hockey-stick shaped like an Axe.
    Oh yes.

(Did Vikings have axes? Who knows? Let's say they did.)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Nice debut, Chris, and I love the creative theme. Potential, especially potential superstars, always has more mystique than the known value of proven players. It really depends on the context of the league rules. One important factor to consider is the value of ELCs in a capped league. This is where these so-called over-valued players can become very valuable. It also depends on at what stage a given owner is in the development of his team. Using the hypothetical Weber for Drouin trade, for example, this may not help the team giving up Drouin if they're in the early stages of a rebuild. Weber would also cost 10 times as much in a capped league.
    I hear ya on the salary aspect of it. As I said in the comments section of the article, it was simply an observation that I have seen on the forums this summer on the players who have been overvalued on a regular basis. It was a generalized opinion and not so much directed at any one type of league or setup.

Thanks for reading it and giving me your opinion. I was hoping it would create disucssion.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."