Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NHL 15

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default NHL 15

I wrote a review on NHL 15. Check it out let me know if you concur. Thanks

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-15-review/

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: NHL 15

Ummm, the biggest fail of any THW article posted here.

You obviously missed the part where NHL 15 IS AN EXACT COPY OF NHL 14, aside from the new announcers and updated rosters. It's the exact same game. Same engine, same textures, same models, same physics. Sold for 60 bucks as if it's a completely new game. It's not. There is LITERALLY NO WORTHWHILE CHANGE BETWEEN NHL 14 AND NHL 15!!!

You call it a masterpiece. Fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail. You should have your writing platform taken away. Seriously. You fail at critical thinking.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Ummm, the biggest fail of any THW article posted here.

You obviously missed the part where NHL 15 IS AN EXACT COPY OF NHL 14, aside from the new announcers and updated rosters. It's the exact same game. Same engine, same textures, same models, same physics. Sold for 60 bucks as if it's a completely new game. It's not. There is LITERALLY NO WORTHWHILE CHANGE BETWEEN NHL 14 AND NHL 15!!!

You call it a masterpiece. Fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail. You should have your writing platform taken away. Seriously. You fail at critical thinking.

Hey thanks for the constructive criticism!

I am not sure why you're so mad though. I clearly state that you should not buy the game if you own NHL 14 and for this exact reason I state that that makes NHL games hard to review - do you review it based on last year, or just as a stand alone?

Considering I was upfront enough to mention both these caveats, I think you're being a little harsh. However, I stand by my assessment that the game is a masterpiece, as the only real thing you could say is wrong with it is that it doesn't change enough from last year. Yes, it's a rip off if you shell out 70 bucks for last years game, but I mention this several times. If, however, you just review it as a hockey game -it is amazing. Credit to EA even for not changing things for the sake of it. The graphics for a PS3 title couldn't be better and neither could the gameplay. Serious question: if it isn't a nearly perfect game, what would change or improve?

I've been playing these games for 20 years and this is the best of a series that has basically perfected itself on each new platform throughout the years. I 100% agree with you that it's only a slight upgrade over last year's title, but ultimately, that's not the way I chose to review the game.

Still, thanks for reading and interacting. Even if you would fire me, it's all good.

-Jimmy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The whole point of releasing yearly version of a game series is iteration. Making the game better step by step. That doesn't happen here - at all (no, new announcers don't count as "slight upgrade", because that's not gameplay). Why? Because EA spent all their energy on the Xbone and PS4 version, which is an incomplete mess.

So if the whole point of the game is moot, how does it warrant 1. money and 2. a review? We can go out and read the old reviews of NHL 14 instead. And if you trump it as a masterpiece, that's fine ONLY if it's done in a vacuum. But it's not, right? It's done in a world where a ton of people have already spent full price on NHL 14, most of whom I'd wager make up the biggest part of potential NHL 15 buyers. To all of them, NHL 15 is a waste of time and money, and you touting the game as a masterpiece, regardless of caveats, is dishonest or just plain stupid bullshit. If NHL 15 got released a year ago, you'd be right to proclaim it as a masterpiece, but now it's one year later and no iteration AT ALL has taken place. No updates, no improvement. Nothing. So the game deserves nothing but crap.

And I'm harsh on THW because several writers on that site AND Bruce Hollingsdrake have been, shall we say, arrogant when it comes to taking constructive criticism. It's a clickbait site at best, with a small percentage of the articles offering anything useful that isn't full of factual errors or shoddy writing/editing.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Claiming that the game cannot be improved upon is just about the most ignorant thing I've ever read about video games. They are constantly improved upon and there are plenty of things that can be improved upon in NHL 14. The physics are a joke a lot of the time. The controls, especially the passing, isn't tight enough. The dman AI is a joke, especially on the offensive blueline. The interface could use a lot of improvements. Not being able to play couch co-op in HUT is bad. As for the graphics, there are texture pop-ins and a lot of the face modeling could use some work. The dump-ins still look like nothing from an actual hockey rink.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Sage

The gameplay and graphics are beautiful on the PS4 - I think it's pretty obvious that this game was made for the PS4 and Xbone. The subtle changes and the fact that it's the first NHL for the PS4 make it's a lot different than NHL 14 on my PS3. I think it's the best NHL yet - gameplay wise.

I must disagree with you when it comes to the music - I think it's the best soundtrack in a long time - I much prefer the hockey songs in this game than the punk rock in previous games. But if you compare the soundtrack to the those in the NFL, NBA, or MLB games... well then maybe I'd agree that it could be better.

The only thing I really don't like is the screen interface setup. I understand they tried to transform the look to get a "next gen feel" but... It's really watered down compared to MLB 14. I hate not being able to sign players during the regular season. I hate not being able to draft my own players. I hate the fact that they took out real player names out of the draft. I hate how I can't play for my AHL team more so the fact that AHL players don't get any stats. I hate how long it takes me to change my lines if there is an injury. The "I hate" list can go on and on...

All that being said, the graphics and the gameplay are incredible. But I think I will enjoy this game a lot more in November when the rest of the game is added via updates/patches.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I've yet to play the game since I'm waiting to buy the Xbox One. But from what I've seen, minimal changes in game play is a good thing in my opinion. The game is, and has been, brilliant. So if it's broke, why fix it? Granted, there are subtle improvements to be made. But overall, if they made minor tweaks, but kept the game pretty much the same, I'm fine with that. But that's just me, obviously.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    And I'm harsh on THW because several writers on that site AND Bruce Hollingsdrake have been, shall we say, arrogant when it comes to taking constructive criticism. It's a clickbait site at best, with a small percentage of the articles offering anything useful that isn't full of factual errors or shoddy writing/editing.
    While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and may be somewhat right in regard to me, I will testify to ANYONE that Bruce is the upmost professional. Seeing his name in the same sentence as the word "arrogant" couldn't be any further from the truth. So while I may have handled criticism in the early going poorly, Bruce has been very professional and polite.

I can say with confidence that we all are so very grateful for Dobber allowing us the platform on his site to share our work. I can't stress that enough. Even if we hurt your eyes.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by James_tanner123 View Post
    Hey thanks for the constructive criticism!

I am not sure why you're so mad though. I clearly state that you should not buy the game if you own NHL 14 and for this exact reason I state that that makes NHL games hard to review - do you review it based on last year, or just as a stand alone?

Considering I was upfront enough to mention both these caveats, I think you're being a little harsh. However, I stand by my assessment that the game is a masterpiece, as the only real thing you could say is wrong with it is that it doesn't change enough from last year. Yes, it's a rip off if you shell out 70 bucks for last years game, but I mention this several times. If, however, you just review it as a hockey game -it is amazing. Credit to EA even for not changing things for the sake of it. The graphics for a PS3 title couldn't be better and neither could the gameplay. Serious question: if it isn't a nearly perfect game, what would change or improve?

I've been playing these games for 20 years and this is the best of a series that has basically perfected itself on each new platform throughout the years. I 100% agree with you that it's only a slight upgrade over last year's title, but ultimately, that's not the way I chose to review the game.

Still, thanks for reading and interacting. Even if you would fire me, it's all good.

-Jimmy

nhl 15 is far from a masterpiece, i've owned every game since 94' and this has been by far the worst one yet. sure the graphics have improved but that is pretty much expected since it's being released on a nex gen console...come on man, have you even played the game? there are several glitches forcing you to reset the game, the game freezes and gives application errors randomly, the user interface is terrible and laggy, there are so many key features like online team play that aren't even available yet...i can go on and on. i'm not hating on you or your article, i just completely disagree with it. EA ****ed up big time by releasing an unfinished product just to meet their deadline. i literally bought a ps4 just so i can play this game and it's been such a disappointment.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Another disappointed customer here. Short of playing with up to date rosters... "Flusshhhhh" is the sound constantly resonating in my head.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    nhl 15 is far from a masterpiece, i've owned every game since 94' and this has been by far the worst one yet. sure the graphics have improved but that is pretty much expected since it's being released on a nex gen console...come on man, have you even played the game? there are several glitches forcing you to reset the game, the game freezes and gives application errors randomly, the user interface is terrible and laggy, there are so many key features like online team play that aren't even available yet...i can go on and on. i'm not hating on you or your article, i just completely disagree with it. EA ****ed up big time by releasing an unfinished product just to meet their deadline. i literally bought a ps4 just so i can play this game and it's been such a disappointment.
    Same here, although I haven't played the game yet so am yet to feel the overwhelming disappointment... should make for a fun couple of days in my immediate future!!

It's not like the PS4 you bought is now useless though, unless you don't play any other games at all...
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    The gameplay and graphics are beautiful on the PS4 - I think it's pretty obvious that this game was made for the PS4 and Xbone. The subtle changes and the fact that it's the first NHL for the PS4 make it's a lot different than NHL 14 on my PS3. I think it's the best NHL yet - gameplay wise.

I must disagree with you when it comes to the music - I think it's the best soundtrack in a long time - I much prefer the hockey songs in this game than the punk rock in previous games. But if you compare the soundtrack to the those in the NFL, NBA, or MLB games... well then maybe I'd agree that it could be better.

The only thing I really don't like is the screen interface setup. I understand they tried to transform the look to get a "next gen feel" but... It's really watered down compared to MLB 14. I hate not being able to sign players during the regular season. I hate not being able to draft my own players. I hate the fact that they took out real player names out of the draft. I hate how I can't play for my AHL team more so the fact that AHL players don't get any stats. I hate how long it takes me to change my lines if there is an injury. The "I hate" list can go on and on...

All that being said, the graphics and the gameplay are incredible. But I think I will enjoy this game a lot more in November when the rest of the game is added via updates/patches.
    This review isn't applicable to your version of the game. The 360/PS3 version that this guy has played is completely different from the Xbone/PS4 version. It's an exact copy of NHL 14, down to the identical menu system. At the same time the version for newer consoles is missing countless features.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and may be somewhat right in regard to me, I will testify to ANYONE that Bruce is the upmost professional. Seeing his name in the same sentence as the word "arrogant" couldn't be any further from the truth. So while I may have handled criticism in the early going poorly, Bruce has been very professional and polite.

I can say with confidence that we all are so very grateful for Dobber allowing us the platform on his site to share our work. I can't stress that enough. Even if we hurt your eyes.
    Your testimony means exactly **** all because Bruce has been pretty arrogant about THW on twitter. I don't care if he's sucking up to his writers and "nice" to you that way, but he's very adamant to defend the mediocrity of his site.

And it's utmost, not upmost.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    His review is for the last gen version.

Dobber Sports Pro

So I haven't bought it yet, and I don't read reviews.

From what I've heard though.

PS3 version is basically a CC of NHL14
    PS4 version has improved engines, graphics, etc.

If I'm EA I do the same thing. I want to encourage/sucker fans into upgrading the console. This way I make more money. goodatbusiness

Sure the PS3 version is a ripoff, but so is bottled water.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop