Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who Will Be Nashville's First Retired Number in the Rafters?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Who Will Be Nashville's First Retired Number in the Rafters?

One day they will have to move to 3 digit jersey numbers because of this silly tradition. How about 5-10 year mini-retirements instead of this charade? They can't stay retired forever, there are only so many to go around...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    One day they will have to move to 3 digit jersey numbers because of this silly tradition. How about 5-10 year mini-retirements instead of this charade? They can't stay retired forever, there are only so many to go around...
    Technically, there are 98 numbers to go around before triple digits (I believe 99 is retired "league-wide").

I have no issue with teams retiring numbers, but I get the point that if your team is good enough and has enough HHOF quality players, you'll eventually run out of respectable numbers, like #62 or the venerable #38.

Toronto has it right, "honour" the player, but still use the number.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

To answer the question, I don't think Rinne's done enough to be considered. Legwand, seriously? Give me a break. Maybe Weber if he continues to dominate and he would need to win at least one Norris trophy for me to consider retiring his number.

What they should do is retire one of Barry Trotz's suits. He deserves to be recognized for being able to consistently make something out of nothing.

Dobber Sports Stud

Mike Fisher now that he consummated officially with the Queen of Nashville. How could it be anyone else?
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Technically, there are 98 numbers to go around before triple digits (I believe 99 is retired "league-wide").

I have no issue with teams retiring numbers, but I get the point that if your team is good enough and has enough HHOF quality players, you'll eventually run out of respectable numbers, like #62 or the venerable #38.

Toronto has it right, "honour" the player, but still use the number.
    is 00 not allowed for a number? excuse my lack of knowledge on this one
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Star

The whole things a joke if you ask me.

"Retired Numbers", "Unofficially Retired Numbers", and "Honoured Numbers"...Retiring numbers was a nice thought at first, but it's not sustainable and is one of those things that should just die before it gets diluted to the point that there is no meaning left. A series of steadily weakened euphemisms will take us to some ridiculous land of number protection and empty public niceties. Puke.

Oh, but Weber.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    is 00 not allowed for a number? excuse my lack of knowledge on this one
    I have no idea! I have never seen 0 or 00 in all my years of watching NHL hockey.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Weber...no doubter to me. Rinne has not yet had the impact Weber has on that franchise.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I have no idea! I have never seen 0 or 00 in all my years of watching NHL hockey.
    The last player to wear a form of zero in the NHL was Martin Biron, who wore Number 00 with the Buffalo Sabres in three games in 1995–96. By the time he returned to the Sabres in 1998, the number zero, single digit or double digit, was not allowed anymore, forcing him to wear Number 43 (which he has worn since). Only three other NHL players have worn number 0 or 00: Paul Bibeault (0), John Davidson (00), and Neil Sheehy (0).
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_(sports)
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    Mike Fisher now that he consummated officially with the Queen of Nashville. How could it be anyone else?
    I know this is a joke, but his should be! I'm betting that having her and her country-singing friends in and around the arena sold as many tickets as the play on the ice initially.

Trotz should get a banner too.

But if I had to bet, I'd say Weber. Yes, Rinne will probably retire first, but considering this will be the FIRST number retired, they'll want the face of the franchise up there. I could see Rinne going up after Weber, even if it's a couple more years after his retirement. That's my thinking.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Those of you saying that it's not sustainable to retire numbers, that the league will run out of them... I'm VERY curious what kind of timeline you'd put on that, because it sounds too silly.
    GO WINGS!