Thread: 5 Predictions for the Leafs this season

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 5 Predictions for the Leafs this season

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: 5 Predictions for the Leafs this season

Wow... those are bold predictions.
    Splitting up JVR / Bozak / Kessel... super bold.
    Especially since I think Bozak is a good fit on that line, allowing JVR/Kessel to do their offensive thing while Bozak watches the back-end.

Funny... I went researching Kadri stuff just now and found this:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-d...7887--nhl.html

I never liked Kadri.
    And this makes it all the better.
    Sid likes to cuss! My dear!

Dobber Sports Deity

I can see Phil hitting 50 and I can see Clarkson bouncing back (could he really get any worse??). I am not as confident on your other predictions but not enough to say they wouldn't happen. Kadri as an All-star is the biggest reach in there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

#1 Hope so!

#2 WHY?

#3 I guess - but still nowhere near to 30 goals

#4 NOPE!

#5 Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Ace

#1. Phil Kessel will score 50 goals

Nope

#2. Kessel and JVR will be split up

Sure, maybe.

#3. Clarkson rebounds

He had 11 pts last year, are you going to count it as a "win" if he scores 12? This is like predicting that the Hawks will make the playoffs, duh

#4. Kadri will be an All-Star

No

#5. They will make the Playoffs

Maybe, but they were 10pts out last year and it's the same team. I doubt it.
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm stunned at how most are treating the idea of the Leafs in the playoffs as absurd. It's really not that outlandish. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Dobber Sports Ace

I actually think there is a lot more truth to those predictions than many people think.

I can't see the leafs keeping there best possession forward (Kadri) stuck in a second line role anymore. He was a top 10 pick and he has to get the opportunity at some point. He's actually been very productive the last 2 seasons.

94 points in 126 games. And those numbers would have been much better if he wasn't stuck on a line with Clarkson.

In the 54 games Clarkson has played last season, Kadri had 22 pts(0.4 p/g). In the 19 games Clarkson missed Kadri had 26 points(1.36p/g)

If he plays with Kessel and JVR and top PP. I could see a huge year.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

#1. "This year, I believe the Leafs will have enough offense up and down the lineup to free up Kessel a little..."

I don't see how the Leafs' offence improved since last season. They added some depth, but adding guys like Booth, Winnik, Santorelli, Frattin, Komorov, Polak and Robidas isn't likely to increase goal-production. Kessel and JVR will almost certainly put up 30-35 goals respectively, but Kadri is still a question mark in terms of consistency. I can't see him getting 30 goals this season. Lupul has more trouble staying healthy than being consistent on the ice. If he misses substantial time (which is VERY likely), then it means secondary scoring takes a big hit. It's because the Leafs have very questionable depth in the bottom-nine that Kessel is relied on so much. I can see him hitting 35-40 goals, but 50? No way. In fact, I think Kessel is an extremely predictable player and a lot of teams have caught onto his habits.

#2. The only way that I see Kessel and JVR being split up is if there are extreme slumps experienced by one or both. Otherwise, what's the motivation between separating them? Keeping them together (outside of a disaster offensively) makes complete sense. I don't think the Leafs have the time to screw around with line experimentation. A Kessel-JVR combination works, so why tinker with it? I could see Bozak being demoted to 2C and Kadri moving up based on skill alone. Clarkson has no business being on the top line and I don't see him being able to keep up with Kessel.

#3. As eyemissgilmour states, there really isn't anywhere to go for Clarkson but UP. I can't see how it gets worse, other than him jumping the bench during two line brawls this season or being suspended three times instead of two. Some people probably are gunning for him to fail, but his signing was absolutely insane, so I don't think you can blame many Leafs fans for expecting him to flop.

#4. Disagree 100%. Don't think Kadri comes close to All-Star consideration. Will he surpass his 50 points from last year? Sure, I could see that. But 80+? No way. Basing this prediction on, "Kadri said this summer he wants to one of the best players in the NHL", is more than a little vague and provides no insight. What player doesn't communicate this mindset...?

#5. Disagree. I don't think the Leafs improved. Had they been able to acquire Moulson/Georges/Ehrhoff or another beneficial free agent or two, things might be different. I find the evaluation of the Leafs' goaltending tandem to be too optimistic. There are many teams I'd rank ahead of the Leafs in terms of best goaltending duos.

I respect the positive thinking, but I think these predictions are far too optimistic.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

That's funny, since Jimmy is the antithesis of optimistic, lol!

Dobber Sports Sage

Sweet, another Leafs thread. The Leafs are like the Knicks of hockey. Big city market, tons of money, should have a good team but nope.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Not really all that bold.

Kessel to hit 40 should,be the case if he continues the trend forward.
    Hate the idea of watering down the top line to balance the top 2 lines.
    Kadri is good...has potential...but he is not now, nor do I think he is close to being an all star.
    Clarkson better bounce back or rebound. Hard not to after his horrible season.

With the fringe talent they added... A bunch of fluffy filling... leafs are as much of a playoff team this year as they were last year. Not getting my hopes up any more with Booth and the Russians in that order.