Thread: Crawford vs Fleury - how far apart?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Crawford vs Fleury - how far apart?

What goalie would you prefer to own? How big of a gap do you see between them? Are you worried about Fleury's future with the Pens, or about Crawford losing time to Raanta? Just trying to get some thoughts here to shape my valuation.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Crawford vs Fleury - how far apart?

Funny enough I actually see the two of them as the same player. Average goalies that are stuck behind great offences and shaky defences. Until Fleury signs an extension in PIT, I prefer the security of Crawford's big contract in CHI going forward. Not too worried about Raanta cause he's not that good himself. Pretty sure everyone feels the same way about those two right now.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Ace

I am worried about Fleury because I don't think he's a very good goalie. If he were to go to a weak team his value would plummet, that's what worries me.
    Crawford isn't an elite talent either but he's better than Fleury and he's locked up on Chicago for 6 more years with an excellent defense in front of him, so for me that gap is pretty big.
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Funny enough I actually see the two of them as the same player.
    Haha same here, and I feel either could outperform the other in any given year. Thanks for the input though, I was sort of thinking the same given Pittsburgh's lack of willingness to sign him before the season.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Funny enough I actually see the two of them as the same player. Average goalies that are stuck behind great offences and shaky defences. Until Fleury signs an extension in PIT, I prefer the security of Crawford's big contract in CHI going forward. Not too worried about Raanta cause he's not that good himself. Pretty sure everyone feels the same way about those two right now.
    And there you have it. If MAF doesn't extend his stay in Pittsburgh, he could end up anywhere. And anywhere could mean Winnipeg...LOL. Sorry Jets fans.

In all seriousness though, both guys rely on the potent offences in front of them for "Wins", and I like the stability Crawford has.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Padawan

Everyone craps on Fleury, he's actually an incredibly skilled goalie with a fantastic pedigree. His game has mental issues, which is obviously fixable. He played much better last year. I think he is one of the most athletic goalies in the league. If he has a good playoffs this year I can see Pitt signing him to a decent length contract. I don't think people watch him play much and just take the bad that they've seen in a few playoff games and what they hear. (Not being bias because he's a keeper of mine lol, I was a fan before and went out and got him last year for cheap cause his owner was thinking pitt might trade him)
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    Everyone craps on Fleury, he's actually an incredibly skilled goalie with a fantastic pedigree. His game has mental issues, which is obviously fixable. He played much better last year. I think he is one of the most athletic goalies in the league. If he has a good playoffs this year I can see Pitt signing him to a decent length contract. I don't think people watch him play much and just take the bad that they've seen in a few playoff games and what they hear. (Not being bias because he's a keeper of mine lol, I was a fan before and went out and got him last year for cheap cause his owner was thinking pitt might trade him)
    I agree. But at the same time, that doesn't change the fact that this year is essentially serving as a "tryout" - his future is unknown which is concerning.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    He's an average goalie on a great team, that's as far as I'll go with that.
    Incredibly skilled? Sure, I think just to get a chance to make an NHL team you have to be that, never mind becoming the starter, but compared to the elite goalies of the league he's not what I would call "incredible" at anything.
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Both are only as good as the team in front of them. I would say Crawford gets the edge based on more certainty he stays with Chicago. A 1-year outlook it could go either way though.
    [SIZE=1]
    Vancouver Millionaires
    12 team Dynasty - H2H

C: Bergeron, E. Staal, Bonino, Vermette, Neilsen, Horvat
    LW: Hall, E. Kane, Lucic, Sharp, Marleau
    RW: Nash, Ryan, Vrbata, Stafford, Frolik, Connolly
    D: Karlsson, Doughty, Hamonic, Seabrook, Ristolainen, Girardi, Ceci, C. Murphy
    G: Lundqvist, Luongo, Lehtonen, Niemi

Scoring Categories:
    G, A, Pts, PIMs, Shots, Hits, Blocks, Takeaways, FOW, TOI
    W, Sv%, Saves, GAA

2014-15 "The League" Champion

Dobber Sports Wizard

I prefer Bobrovsky here

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

Crawford via contract but I think Fleury still has a bit more upside on pure talent. Even though he has a decent amount of miles, i wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't peaked yet and figures out a few more things in the crease to make life easier for himself rather than relying on his athleticism (and of course irons out his confidence issues).
    I also think Pittsburgh has some great defensive prospects which could pan out and make life a lot easier on Fleury (if he stays there).
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Padawan

another thing people forget is how weak Pitt's D is. I still think skill wise he is among the elite. Obviously everyone has different opinions on the matter haha
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Monster

I prefer Crawford by a wide margin. Despite all of the questions he's faced over the years he's established himself as an above average goalie on an elite team. So, he's an elite option. I see him as the 5th best goalie to own in fantasy behind Rask, Lundqvist, Price and Quick.

Fleury is an above average option on an above average/borderline elite team (because the East is weak).

Something just makes me nervous about Fleury. When Pittsburgh signed Vokoun to support Fluery, and ended up going with him in the playoffs, it was clear the franchise lost faith in him. Thomas Greiss is a solid backup as well for this year. I know Fleury is great during the regular season, but he makes me uncomfortable and who knows if he's back in Pitt next year.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry