Thread: Help me choose my keepers

The Great One

Default Help me choose my keepers

So I entered a "funsy" league with my buddy last year and ended up crapping the bed (after talking a pretty big game too- lol!). At about the halfway point I realized it was a lost cause and traded veteran talent for some nice youth and kind of stopped paying attention. I was a little bit scared to open my team page this year thinking it would be an absolute shit show- but was surprised to see i actually had more than my fair share of solid keeper options. Its for bragging rights so definitely going for the win this year. Also as an added bonus I finished 13th out of 14th- so Im pretty solid in drafting order.

Goalie Cats: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shorthanded Points (SHP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Faceoffs Won (FW), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)

Scoring Cats: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

Weekly lineups- Active: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4d, 1g, 10 bench- 4 IR slots

So in any case- I can use a hand- especially in terms of Faceoffs Won, Hits, and Blocks- which I have some experience with- but are not my forte per se.

I need to KEEP 10. Rules stipulate at least 1 goalie and 3 D-men must be kept. Im leaning towards keeping 2 goalies in a 14 team format- but am open to suggestions, especially with only one weekly starting goalie:

Nicklas Backstrom- C
    Nathan MacKinnon- C,RW
    Jeff Skinner- LW,RW
    Jordan Eberle- RW
    Evander Kane- LW
    Ryan Johansen- C,RW
    Mikael Granlund- C
    Radim Vrbata- RW
    Brent Burns- RW,D
    Jacob Trouba- D
    Justin Schultz- D
    Radko Gudas- D
    Tuuka Rask- G
    Kari Lehtonen- G

Yuck- gonna have at least one really unfortunate cut here :P

Would love some opinions!!!

The Great One

Default Re: Help me choose my keepers

Hmm- this never showed up in the "new posts" search filter. Wondering if I should re-post? Dont want to spam the boards but would love some feedback on this- and 27 views seems low- just wondering if something glitched out when I posted...

EDIT: Now its showing up on the "new posts" feed.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

First of all, you need to weigh, who are the most easiest to redraft, because they are all very good fantasy players.

My 10 keepers would be based on your stat categories:

C: Backstrom
    RW: MacKinnon, Johansen, Eberle - you can shift MacK and Johansen to wing, and you will guaranteed to win the FO cat
    LW: Kane, Skinner
    D: Trouba, Burns, Gudas - this is a bit of wildcard, but i like it. Trouba/Burns has very good potential for a 40/50 point seasons with good periferial stats, and Gudas is a key to win a league like this. (you can shift Burns to RW, then you will win the blocks)
    G: Rask

drop: Schultz (weak periferials, baaad +/-), Vrbata (age), Granlund (don't shoot enough, don't HIT, don't win enough FOs because of Koivu, but he can improve!) Lehtonen - I think you will be fine with only Rask in G. You can easily draft in later rounds Svedberg who is insurance policy for Rask, or another starter. If you can trade away them for picks or some upgrade, do it asap.

This was hard...
    Team:

--------------------20 team, weekly H2H, multicat--------------------
    C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Bergeron, Toews, W.Karlsson, Lundell (start 4)
    LW: Guentzel, Giroux, Landeskog, Ehlers, Benn (4)
    RW: Kucherov, Tarasenko, Rantanen, Teravainen, Palmieri (4)
    D: Klingberg, Rielly, Hamilton, Trouba, Sergachev, Gudas, McNabb, Hakanpaa (6)
    G: Lehner, Fleury, Petersen, Swayman (2)
    Prospects: Turcotte, J.Quinn, L.Hughes

Dobber Sports Ace

Nicklas Backstrom- C
    Nathan MacKinnon- C,RW
    Jeff Skinner- LW,RW
    Jordan Eberle- RW
    Evander Kane- LW
    Ryan Johansen- C,RW
    Mikael Granlund- C
    Radim Vrbata- RW
    Brent Burns- RW,D
    Jacob Trouba- D
    Justin Schultz- D
    Radko Gudas- D
    Tuuka Rask- G
    Kari Lehtonen- G

The Great One

These are GREAT opinions- rep coming for you guys and any more comin down the pipeline...

The Great One

Skinner with both eligibilitiies and breakout potential over lehtonen- is a no brainer?? Just askin...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
    First of all, you need to weigh, who are the most easiest to redraft, because they are all very good fantasy players.

RW: MacKinnon, Johansen, Eberle - you can shift MacK and Johansen to wing, and you will guaranteed to win the FO cat
    D: Trouba, Burns, Gudas - this is a bit of wildcard, but i like it. Trouba/Burns has very good potential for a 40/50 point seasons with good periferial stats, and Gudas is a key to win a league like this. (you can shift Burns to RW, then you will win the blocks)

drop: Schultz (weak periferials, baaad +/-), Vrbata (age), Granlund (don't shoot enough, don't HIT, don't win enough FOs because of Koivu, but he can improve!) Lehtonen - I think you will be fine with only Rask in G. You can easily draft in later rounds Svedberg who is insurance policy for Rask, or another starter. If you can trade away them for picks or some upgrade, do it asap.

This was hard...
    So far going with this- Gudas over Schultz hurts but his multi cat contributions are golden. Skinner over Lehtonen is also painful- but with 1 active G- Rask should be enough and Skinner is a G and SOG machine. L or R doesnt burt either...

Dobber Sports Veteran

This is tough, I can't say you must do what I say... But with starting I goalie, I'm only keeping rask as a goalie... So I add in Schultz.. I think this is the year he starts looking as a great fantasy option... So then if the draft you need 1 goalie and forwards to fill cats... Dubinsky? Types..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    So far going with this- Gudas over Schultz hurts but his multi cat contributions are golden. Skinner over Lehtonen is also painful- but with 1 active G- Rask should be enough and Skinner is a G and SOG machine. L or R doesnt burt either...
    Your right, this list is good. I hadn't noticed you only started 1 goalie, go with skinner over Lehtonen.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post

This was hard...
    Very solid breakdown right here, and +1 rep coming.

With just one goalie active each week, definitely go Skinner over Lehtonen.

Cheers.

The Great One

Thanks guys- really put things in perspective. I ended up going with Captain Cally's suggestion. Dropping Schultz/Lehtonen was painful though :P