Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Letang has lost his lustre?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Letang has lost his lustre?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    True, but Gaborik is now 32. Letang is 27, pretty much prime age for a D.
    how many defensemen hit 60 for the first time at 27

I don't think people should dump Letang for nothing but I would trade him for decent value any chance I got, I have and I would again

I think comparing him to Crosby just doens't work because he has never even come close to doing what Crosby has done, this thread isn't asking Letang to return to form but rather to beat his career best season by 10 points, that is a far cry from holding Crosby knowing when healthy he absolutely can put up 100 points

as for the Gaborik comparison I didn't mean just now, Gaborik has carried a depressed value through most of the prime of his career because of the injury concerns, Gaborik didn't all of a sudden become considered a BAB that has been going on for over half a decade now

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Deity

I was originally trying to point out that so many were dumping Crosby way before his prime because of serious, career threatening injury. I am sure you remember the thread after thread about Crosby trades back when everyone was thinking his career was over.

Many are down on Letang for the same thing. Injuries are a funny thing. They can happen to anyone at any time. Some guys can go their entire career and never suffer anything major. Others seem to have crappy luck. So far Letang has had crappy lucky, and has suffered a career threatening injury, much like Crosby seemed to have a couple years ago. Does that mean he will get injured again this year? Who knows? What we do know is the kid is one of the better fantasy Dmen to own when he is healthy.

Thats the whole purpose of this thread. My point is to say, if people are writing him off and saying he's lost his lustre due to injuries, then trade him. I personally think they are foolish.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Health is the biggest concern when it comes to Letang. He's suffered through a stroke, multiple concussions, elbow problems, and a severe case of food poisining. Over the last three seasons he's put up 102 points in 123 games. That in it's self makes him an excellent buy low candidate, or someone you would want to role the dice on.

Dobber Sports Wizard

writing someone off and saying they have lost their lustre are two entirely different things though aren't they

there are miles and miles and miles in between the two

I absolutely do think he has lost his lustre and I think it is foolish to treat him as a 60+ point player as was asked in the initial thread

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Initiate

Agreed Lucifer in many ways. Depends on the type of league for me though as to whether I'd own him or not. If I can make quick roster changes i.e. daily I do view him as a 55-60 point dman. Sure he may only play 60 games but he will put up 45 points. If I can find a guy on my bench to sub in and play those other 22 games and put up say 10 points then that's a win. His issue is health obviously but when he does play he produces. This year was his biggest "off-year" and he was still about .6ppg. Model of consistency...when he isn't hurt (if that's possible). Back to the original question, yes he has lost the lustre, everyone does after receiving boatloads of hype for a few years if they A) can't stay healthy and B) don't produce at a high rate when playing.
    14th year-12 team-Keep 10 + 5 farm
    C-Larkin, Trochek, Pavelski, Hayes, R Strome
    LW-Huberdeau, Meier, Kreider
    RW-Gaudreau, Rantanen, Radulov, Kyrou
    D-Letang, Hamilton, Carlson, Burns, Giordano
    G-Andersen, Lehner, Jones

IR-Tarasenko

Farm - Vilardi, Newhook, McMichael, Gusev, Holtz

The Great One

Sure lost his lustre as a top 3 dman maybe but his slide down draft lists has been criminal. The problem with not treating him as a 60+ point player is that he actually is a 60+ point player- 68 points pro-rated over the last three seasons.

So when you say he has an injury history- thats fair- more than fair- but at the end of the day its impossible to predict an injury. Im looking at a guy whose missed time with things like a stroke and food poisoning- thats more "bad luck" than a propensity to be injured. Hes also known to be a freak in the gym and an over the top health nut which bodes well for his future games played totals. As a last point he only actually missed like 6 games in the lockout shortened season and played all 82 in 2010-2011 (sure its 3 tyears ago but hes shown he can do it).

So anyways if he is an injury risk- thats fair- but you give him whatever %- lets call it 50% based on the fact that hes missed significant time in 2 of the last 4 seasons. Thats a coin toss that could result in a goal/sog heavy 65+ points from the backend. That's not quite Karlsson territory but its getting up there. When you get into gut feeling perspectives- I actually think the odds are much better than 50/50 based on some of the freak type of injuries hes sustained before and his commitment to fitness/nutrition- thats just my take though- Im personally calling it like 30%. I also play in head to head leagues- usually with an injury reserve so his value is exponentially greater than a roto league where I need to bank on 82 games out of a roster player.

I think "foolish" is a little harsh. I mean even if you knock 12 games off and put him as a 70gp guy- that still equates to 58 based on his 3 year average. I would not draft him ahead of the top tier guys but its pretty easy to see him getting there again this season. Essentially I would say hes the riskiest tier 1 d-man out there- so the last of the top guys Id draft- with the potential to be one of the best. That being said in rankings and mocks- he is going much, much lower than that- so I think there is a ton of value to be had. I kind of agree with axeman- crosby might not be the "perfect" comparison- but the idea has merit and he gets the point accross. Theres a very good chance you'll have as much luck trying to get Letang next year as you would a Subban this year.

If you've washed your hands with him i get that- just did it with Green- but Im actually of the mind that he is one of the best guys to be targetting right now. Of course if he is injured you look brilliant- if he stays healthy I do- thats the way it goes :P

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tybiggs View Post
    Agreed Lucifer in many ways. Depends on the type of league for me though as to whether I'd own him or not. If I can make quick roster changes i.e. daily I do view him as a 55-60 point dman. Sure he may only play 60 games but he will put up 45 points. If I can find a guy on my bench to sub in and play those other 22 games and put up say 10 points then that's a win. His issue is health obviously but when he does play he produces. This year was his biggest "off-year" and he was still about .6ppg. Model of consistency...when he isn't hurt (if that's possible). Back to the original question, yes he has lost the lustre, everyone does after receiving boatloads of hype for a few years if they A) can't stay healthy and B) don't produce at a high rate when playing.
    Thats a solid point even 60 games out of Letang and a decent waiver plug here or there is a net gain off 55 points on your team- tied for 4th in the league. Even if you're not confident you can find a 0.5 ppg guy off waivers and you want to add 5-8 hypothetical points- you're still in good company- with a net gain equivalent to names like Subban and Pietrangelo.

My whole criticism is that he'll be drafted about 20 spots behind those guys...

EDIT: Lol- 60 games out of Letang actually pro-rates to 50- on his own- not 45- lol! So there you have it

Dobber Sports Veteran

I get the concern on this guy but depending on the league he could be a great buy low.
    Only played 58% of games the last three seasons. I feel like he is overdue for a 75 gp season sooner or later...
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by deantime419 View Post
    I get the concern on this guy but depending on the league he could be a great buy low.
    Only played 58% of games the last three seasons. I feel like he is overdue for a 75 gp season sooner or later...
    No one of those was lockout shortened so he played closer to 80-90%. Only point it out cause I made the same mistake when checking his stats...

Dobber Sports Veteran

(51+35+37)/(82+48+82)=123/212=58%.
    i just meant in total it was 58% - but yes in the lockout shortened season he played in a much higher percent than that.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by deantime419 View Post
    (51+35+37)/(82+48+82)=123/212=58%.
    i just meant in total it was 58% - but yes in the lockout shortened season he played in a much higher percent than that.
    Oh ok gotcha- makes sense...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    Crosby had 4 100 point seasons when people were talking of trading him which was ridiculous

Letang has yet to eclipse 50 points

I think there is a huge difference when comparing the two players

Crosby had proven multiple times at that point to be one of the best if not best players in the league, Letang one time tied for 6th in defenseman scoring

Well said. Comparing him to Crosby is beyond foolish, aside from playing on the same team they have zero in common.

Letang has only ever hinted at greatness, in 7 seasons in the league he has numbers of: 17, 33, 27, 50, 42, 38, 22. You might as well have owned Matt Carle over the same period, you could have drafted him 10 rounds later and got the same production Crosby has been top 5 in scoring in the NHL six times over that same period! Missing time due to a bad concussion is a lot different than missing time every season due to some new injury. You want to talk about lustre? You can polish that turd all you want, I sure ain't buying it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As a Letang owner I have been through the ups and downs with injuries - but yet I still hold onto him. Every year I expect better things and they never happen, but I will try my luck with him again this year. Good luck?
    8 Team Keeper League
    Points Only League. 10F, 4D, 1G active.
    Keep 15 end of year - any position & re-draft 5 + 3 IR.
    Scoring Cats - Goals (1), Assists (1)

Goalie Cats - Win (2), SO (3)

F - Crosby, Giroux, Iginla, Ovechkin, Parise, Nugent-Hopkins, Seguin, Johansen, Nash, Yakupov, Semin

D - Barrie, Letang, Shultz

G - Fleury

Dobber Sports Giant

To add some context to the Letang conversation w/ re: injuries ... Guess who's the only player to appear in every Penguins playoff game since their Cup win in 2009? That's right. Kris Letang. He's been remarkably healthy when it counts, and he does have the ability to turn in a fully healthy season. As an owner, I would expect at least 10-15 games missed, but that risk is also dampened significantly in H2H formats. Even if he misses those games, if he's healthy at the right time -- which he's shown an ability to do -- then his per-game production more than justifies a high ranking. Similar argument used for Malkin all the time.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yes he has lost some lustre thanks to all those injuries, though many were freak type injuries, but multiple concussions have me a little worried (but only a little). I went and traded for him last year in one of my leagues (just before his stroke!) and will be keeping him hoping for a fullish season (70+ games). He has the potential to put up some elite numbers from the back end. Also, I'll be making a move on Mike Green before he is dealt this season (if I can) because I think he's going to end up in a great place, wherever that is (come on Anaheim, reunited with BB).