Thread: Short on Tier 1 centres

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Exclamation Short on Tier 1 centres

Hey guys,

Just submitted my keepers for the upcoming year. We keep 5 (see sig) and having managed to completely bury myself as a result of Lundqvist's early season troubles last year, I am sitting pretty with the 1st overall pick.

As I was handling my keepers and checking out what is available, something that stood out to me was the lack of elite centres out in upcoming draft. By elite centres, I mean those that would challenge 70+ points, offer above average faceoff stats like 700 FW, and general consistency.

For instance, my first round pick would come down to the following players:

Henrik Sedin (bounce back year, but terrible peripherals)
    Eric Staal (is he even a centre? Massive cap hit for "meh" production, but if he does reach 70+ combined with his SOG totals it could work out)
    *Nugent-Hopkins (terrible on the Faceoff dot, would also kill me on the +/- department, slight injury concern due to his size)
    Spezza (already have two of the top scorers on Dallas = would I be putting all the eggs in one basket?)
    Datsyuk (age is a major concern, including being injury prone)
    Statsny (Defensive blues team limits his ceiling, I would peg him close to 65 points)
    Krejci: (Bruins team defence might limit his offense, with the loss of Iggy, this might drop him back to a 60 point player at most)
    Evander Kane (I know he's not a centre, but his peripherals are awesome that I could draft like 3 second tiered centres to make up)

So as far as I can see, the picks don't look too great but I would like some input on this.

What do you guys think?
    Should I go for a centre with my first pick, and go for a bunch of second tiered centres?

Any thoughts or opinions would be highly appreciated.

Cheers!
    8 person H2H, 25 man rosters:

LW: JT Miller, B. Tkachuk, E. Kane, Pacioretty, N. Foligno,
    C: McDavid, Larkin, Monahan, Eriksson Ek, P. Suter,
    RW: Lindholm, Perron, J. Anderson, Hornqvist, Duchene, Necas

D: Josi, Poink, Chiarot, Larsson, OEL, Leddy

G: Varlamov, Reimer, Kakhonen
    IR: Parayko, Francouz

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FOW, HIT, BLK
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Short on Tier 1 centres

Who else will be available? When given the choice, I prefer to fill the more difficult positions first - so being determined to take a center #1 overall seems a bit backwards to me. It is far easier to find a plug center late in the draft than it is to find a comparable winger.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Other players that are available at this point would be

Parise (high sog, might push 70 points if it all works out) --> I'd look to draft Granlund if I go with this
    Vorachek (70 pts not out of reach, there's a lot of potential here, but weak peripherals)
    Okposo (very appealing here, I might prefer Okposo to Kane because of his cheaper cap hit and being able to play with Tavares)
    Daniel Sedin (Concussion issues?)
    Hornqvist (decent point production prior to being Malkin's replacement is intriguing but perhaps not worthy of a first overall...)
    Bobby Ryan (maybe this could be his year?)

Goalies seem to be even more worthy but I already have Lundqvist and the chance to draft Bobrovsky is high (my league seems to have a terrible dislike of him)

And defenceman are in abundance, I have no worries that I will be able to draft cheap 30 point defenceman + one superstar defenceman (like Weber, Piet, Doughty)
    8 person H2H, 25 man rosters:

LW: JT Miller, B. Tkachuk, E. Kane, Pacioretty, N. Foligno,
    C: McDavid, Larkin, Monahan, Eriksson Ek, P. Suter,
    RW: Lindholm, Perron, J. Anderson, Hornqvist, Duchene, Necas

D: Josi, Poink, Chiarot, Larsson, OEL, Leddy

G: Varlamov, Reimer, Kakhonen
    IR: Parayko, Francouz

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FOW, HIT, BLK
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Ace

Henrik is sure to bounce back nicely this year after that brutal down season, maybe grab him for the FOWs and pts and then get your peripherals elsewhere?
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Stud

To me this one is easy. You already have a elite centre if you really need one in Seguin. He's better on the right but he will do the job if needed.

You draft Parise. He's probably the best winger available and will give you top wingers on both sides. Your list of available centres is long. There should still be lots available for your next couple picks.

If not Parise, then move Seguin to centre and draft a right winger to replace him. Ryan, Okposo, Voracek... Are all great options.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Genius

I like Evander Kane in your set up as well. The way I see your team working out as in the moment I think you need to draft to your strengths for instance your keep Dubinskey already have a banger/point getter in Benn why not draft a couple vaule center who get hits/pims like Krieder, Jordan Staal? Redraft Weber and get some other vaule banger D like Gudas and this team will be strong across the board!
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Who else will be available? When given the choice, I prefer to fill the more difficult positions first - so being determined to take a center #1 overall seems a bit backwards to me. It is far easier to find a plug center late in the draft than it is to find a comparable winger.
    Usually I would agree with you, but I find this is not the case in FW leagues. Centers gain extra value and many of the bench spots are used on the second/third tier centers making them more difficult to come by.

Given your scoring categories and the players available, I would likely take Spezza 1st. Excellent point potential, high FW, but with an injury risk and low hit totals (easier to find cheaply). I think he will outperform Henrik and he is younger.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

When both FOW/HIT are in play, I like to set myself up to try to nab a hitting/FOW player like Martin Hanzal.
    I try to build that into my late draft strategy.

GWG is essentially a SECOND goal-scoring category, since about 15%-18% of all goals result in GWG.
    For that reason, you really have to focus on shooter/scorers.
    And I'd pass on Henrik Sedin, even if he rakes big time FOW.

For me, the choice is the multi-cat beast Evander Kane, slotted into your LW.
    He's got the peripherals and his focus on shooting/scoring will help in the GWG cat.
    If he ever finds his way out of Winnipeg, he's going to be a bonafide upper tier keeper in HIT multi-cat leagues.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Parise or Kane would be my choice, but I like RNH too.

Dobber Sports Padawan

If you are absolutely set on a C, I think Eric Staal is undervalued after last year. He's a guy that in any given year is good for 70 pts and does more than well on peripherals. It was a bad year for a good player. People are absoultely brutal drafting guys after a bad year; in 2012-2013 I wound up getting Getzlaf as the 31st pick in one league because one bad year drops a guy so far in their minds. Don't be one of those guys.

But yeah, otherwise Evander Kane and possibly Parise like everyone else says.