Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for books suggestion

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Looking for books suggestion

Hi,

I just started Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I'm at page 100 and I'm loving what I'm reading so far. Very insightful stuff.

But I'm already looking ahead at my next books. I'm not really into novels (except Games of Thrones).

Last two books I read was David & Goliath by Malcom Gladwell, really loved it but I haven't read anything else he wrote. The other one is 10% Happier by Dan Harris which I found entertaining and has me changing a bit the way I react when "drama" happens in my life. I haven't tried meditation though...

Any suggestions out there?
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Looking for books suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Hi,

I just started Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I'm at page 100 and I'm loving what I'm reading so far. Very insightful stuff.

But I'm already looking ahead at my next books. I'm not really into novels (except Games of Thrones).

Last two books I read was David & Goliath by Malcom Gladwell, really loved it but I haven't read anything else he wrote. The other one is 10% Happier by Dan Harris which I found entertaining and has me changing a bit the way I react when "drama" happens in my life. I haven't tried meditation though...

Any suggestions out there?
    Outliers was my favorite by Gladwell, if you enjoy his writing you'll enjoy that one. Have you read any Chuck Pahlniuk (Fight Club author)? I really like his stuff

Dobber Sports Guru

I can suggest a shit load of books but you are gonna have to give us more to go on. From the sounds of the above you like GRRM and Gladwell but that is a pretty wide range. If you like non-fiction with a stoary teller aspect I suggest Wade Davis ' books "One River", "into the Silence" and "The Serpent and the Rainbow" all are very interesting. Jared Diamond is very good for evolutionary biology that is easy to grasp. I've got other recco's. It need to know more about your tastes. Are you a fan of historical fiction? If so, Conn Iggulden and Bernard Cornwell are both great authors to explore.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    I can suggest a shit load of books but you are gonna have to give us more to go on. From the sounds of the above you like GRRM and Gladwell but that is a pretty wide range. If you like non-fiction with a stoary teller aspect I suggest Wade Davis ' books "One River", "into the Silence" and "The Serpent and the Rainbow" all are very interesting. Jared Diamond is very good for evolutionary biology that is easy to grasp. I've got other recco's. It need to know more about your tastes. Are you a fan of historical fiction? If so, Conn Iggulden and Bernard Cornwell are both great authors to explore.
    I'm very into biology-psychology-sociology-behavior type of books lately. I will take a look into Jared Diamond. I also started "The Future of the Mind" by Michio Kaku but it was a bit too heavy for me, very interesting stuff but I'm not the sharpest in english (being french canadian) and these books are hard to find in french.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    Outliers was my favorite by Gladwell, if you enjoy his writing you'll enjoy that one. Have you read any Chuck Pahlniuk (Fight Club author)? I really like his stuff
    I have not read any Chuck Pahlniuk, not even Fight Club. I definitely should read Fight Club as the movie was just absolutely good (and the book is always better than the movie).

Dobber Sports Ace

I recommend
    "Where Good Ideas Come From" by Steven Johnson.
    "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge.
    "Sleep Thieves" by Stanley Coren.

And if you want to try some fiction, "Don Quixote", by Miquel de Cervantes, is long but easier to read than expected.

Dobber Sports Expert

All time favorite. DBC Pierre - Vernon God Little.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Ace

I have not read any Chuck Pahlniuk, not even Fight Club. I definitely should read Fight Club as the movie was just absolutely good (and the book is always better than the movie).
    It is really good but the funny part is that Chuck Pahlniuk has actually gone on record saying he prefers the movie to the book! I guess he's a big fan of how they did it and the acting, etc.

Dobber Sports Icon

With the 100th anniversary of the start of WW1 upon us, I've stocked up on histories of the Great War. Recommend the following:

- entire war: Keegan's WW1, passages on the Somme battle are tragically beautiful

- soldier's account: Junger's Storm of Steel (Der Sturm)

- cause for the war: Guns of August, Pulitzer winner

- aftermath and treaty of Versailles: Macmillan's Paris 1919, brilliant rundown of the difficulties involved in settling the victor's position for each region of the world post-war - she is a Canadian prof

- the Canadian epic victory at Vimy: Pierre Berton's Vimy or Barris Victory at Vimy (much prefer Berton)

- fiction: Faulks' Birdsong, gorgeous

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Master

I am not sure if you like a good police procedural novel, but for anyone who does, author Michael Connelly is the best. His Harry Bosch series is fantastic. It follows LAPD detective Bosch, and it crosses over into other series he has written including the Lincoln Lawyer series made famous by the film starring Matthew McConaughey. Great books!

For fantasy or SF fans, GRRM's "A Song of Ice and Fire" (aka A Game of Thrones) is hugely popular, and deservedly so. I also really like Canadian writer Robert Sawyer who has won several SF awards for his books "Mindscan" and "Rollback".

I agree completely with wendelclark17 that Conn Iggulden and Bernard Cornwell are masters of the historical fiction yarn, but I would add Jack Whyte's name to the list. Whyte's "A Dream of Eagles" series about King Arthur is phenomenal. He also has a series about the Knights Templar and another about great Scottish leaders like Robert the Bruce and William Wallace.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mojavedesert View Post
    I recommend
    "Where Good Ideas Come From" by Steven Johnson.
    I second that!

I read A LOT so this is definitely my kind of thread.

A few I read this summer that I think would be down your alley:

The Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg
    Brain on Fire - Susannah Cahalan (for the biology side of you)
    Blink - Malcolm Gladwell (just cause you said you like him )

This ones a classic so you may have already read it, cause, well, everyone needs to read it:

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie

The Great One

I'm very into biology-psychology-sociology-behavior type of books lately. I will take a look into Jared Diamond. I also started "The Future of the Mind" by Michio Kaku but it was a bit too heavy for me, very interesting stuff but I'm not the sharpest in english (being french canadian) and these books are hard to find in french.
    If you like Malcolm Gladwell, I'd recommend Predictably Irrational (Dan Ariely), Nudge (Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein), or Freakonomics (Levitt and Dubner). All three are a mix of economics and psychology (i.e., pointing out all the odd behaviours people have that makes no sense from a rational stand point.)

Dobber Sports Icon

By the way, with the Ebola virus once again having its tragic way in Africa, I recently re-read The Hot Zone, an excellent account of how it all started back in the late 80s/early 90s. I also bought my wife Spillover by David Quammen which is supposed to be great, but haven't read it yet.

Side story relating to Amazon pricing - the copy of The Hot Zone that I was re-readoing was an old copy bought way back, but before I had finished it we accidentally left it in St Andrews by the Sea where we were vacationing. So I considered buying a new copy on Amazon, and saw that it was something like $5.50 for the paperback. Didn't buy it for whatever reason. This is back in July, before the news hit about this latest Ebola epidemic. Recently went back to Amazon to buy it and did so, but the price had gone up to $7.19. Now just checked and it's back down to $5.49.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    With the 100th anniversary of the start of WW1 upon us, I've stocked up on histories of the Great War. Recommend the following:

- entire war: Keegan's WW1, passages on the Somme battle are tragically beautiful

- soldier's account: Junger's Storm of Steel (Der Sturm)

- cause for the war: Guns of August, Pulitzer winner

- aftermath and treaty of Versailles: Macmillan's Paris 1919, brilliant rundown of the difficulties involved in settling the victor's position for each region of the world post-war - she is a Canadian prof

- the Canadian epic victory at Vimy: Pierre Berton's Vimy or Barris Victory at Vimy (much prefer Berton)

- fiction: Faulks' Birdsong, gorgeous
    If you're into Podcasts you should check out Hardcore History. It's very well done and he's currently in the middle of a Series on WWI - 3 parts so far. I've only listened to the first one, but it's an excellent listen.

Banned

I was gonna open a thread about what personal development books everyone is into, so I'll join this one

Currently reading The Power of Focus by Jack Canfield

and I am really into Simon Sinek lately

It all starts with a why, and leaders eat last are great books to read