Thread: Franchise Altering Trade

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Franchise Altering Trade

At a bit of a crossroads as to the direction to take my keeper team (see signature). There are a couple very strong teams in my league and i'm in somewhat of a rebuild after huge success. I've got a couple decent keeper pieces and what look to be some pretty good prospects coming, but i'm not sure it will be enough to put a year-over-year contender together. The trade I could make is:

Trade Away: Getzlaf, Spezza, OEL, Kreider
    Receive: Teravainen, Monahan, Seth Jones, 4th and 6th overall prospect pick for 2014 (we haven't done our draft after most recent NHL draft), and a 2015 prospect pick that could be anywhere from 1-7.

I already have the 3rd overall prospect pick in 2014 as well as two prospect picks in 2015 (anywhere from picks 1-7).

If I pull off this deal I will have a 50-70% chance of 1st overall in 2015, with 2nd place as consolation (assuming I finish last).

I see the deal as being somewhat like this:

Kreider for Monahan
    OEL for Jones
    Spezza/Getzlaf for Teravainen and the 3 1st round prospect picks.

Take the deal and have a pile of assets all at once or continue on with what I have?

Thanks!
    7 Team Keeper. Total PTS.

14F 4D 2G
    Bench 6 (any position)
    Keep 20
    Max 20 Prospects (Under 21,keep until 23)

G/A=1, Plus/Minus = +0.5 or -0.5, W=2, SO=3, OTL/SOL=1
    F: Stamkos, Taraenko, Wheeler, Foligno, Dubi, Perreault, O'Reilly, Kesler, Kreider, Hoffman, Lee, Boedker, Nelson, Schenn
    D: Doughty, Giordano, Barrie, Hedman, Justin Schultz
    G: Price

Prospects: Barkov, Mantha, Domi, Zykov, Buchnevich, Khoklachev, Jankowski, Puempel, Bozon, Ho-Sang, Milano, Larsson, Dumba, DeAngelo, Niederreiter, Baertschi
    Prospect Picks 2015-1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9
    Prospects left from 13/14-Larkin, Fleury, Honka, Tuch, McCann, Scherbak, Ristolainen

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Franchise Altering Trade

I definitely would not do this. Teravainen and three unproven prospects for two very elite centers that will almost certainly get 70+pts each this coming year.

OEL is also one of the game's best young D and will see much more ice time than Jones, who be lower on the depth charts for a decent amount of time.

You can call Kreider and Monahan a push.

If you are looking to rebuild I would not do it in this fashion. You can very high level young guys for Getz and Spezza without worrying about taking on a few risky prospects. While the 2015 first overall possibility is nice I think you can do much better for the skill of your guys.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Bottom line: no. Way too much proven talent for unproven talent in my mind. with Barkov, Granlund, and OEL on
    the farm, you don't have much need for guys like teravainen, Monahan and Jones. unless you are guaranteed a guy like McDavid, there's no way I ship Getzlaf out. He's already as good as the highest upside of the guys you would be getting.. Why take a chance and wait to see if any of these prospects become his equal?
    10-Team, Custom Keeper. In this league GMs sign their own contracts at an auction for a specified price and term up to 4 years.

G(3) A(2.5) +/- (0.5) SOG(0.1) FOW/FOL (0.05) HTS(0.1) BKS (0.1)

2C - McDavid, Pettersson, Barkov, Kopitar,
    2RW - Lindholm, Perron, Reinhart, Killorn
    2LW - Draisaitl, Svechnikov, Schenn
    3FWD From above FWDs
    6D - Karlsson, Dahlin, Gustafsson, Theodore, Edler
    2G - Varlamov, Greisss, Murray, Mrazek

IR - Hamilton

6FARM - Kakko, Mittelstadt, Francouz, Borgstrom

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Where did you finish in this years season? Because I mean, i wouldnt really consider rebuilding. Your core is mainly below 27-28 years so you're in your prime. You got a few injured players (stamkos, tarasenko, bishop, and to some extent spezza, filppula) and underachievers (richards, anderson). I dont see this trade helping you in a 7 team. Its gonna hurt you sending sending all those assets for potential assets.

While spezza should thrive in Dallas, try sending him packing with his bandaid boy status...and specially benefit of his hype while its still going on. Kopitar could be a nice 70points +20 consistent target.

Keep oel getzlaf and kreider. Youre not getting a good ROI.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Horrible trade for you. You get a bunch of mediocre, unproven guys while giving away bonafide proven stars. This is the kind of trade I would be salivating for if I was the other guy. You are giving away a guy like Getzlaf for prospects who aren't even top of the line and then you're also giving away OEL, Spezza and Kreider who are all proper, quality NHLers.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for all the prompt feedback. So far, it looks decisive.

I finished 6th out of 7 last season. My results to date after 7 years are 2, 1, 1, 2, 5, 6, 6.

Due to the nature of our Keeper, the only assets that carry any value are bona fide studs, high-end prospects or young guys, or 1st round prospect picks.
    7 Team Keeper. Total PTS.

14F 4D 2G
    Bench 6 (any position)
    Keep 20
    Max 20 Prospects (Under 21,keep until 23)

G/A=1, Plus/Minus = +0.5 or -0.5, W=2, SO=3, OTL/SOL=1
    F: Stamkos, Taraenko, Wheeler, Foligno, Dubi, Perreault, O'Reilly, Kesler, Kreider, Hoffman, Lee, Boedker, Nelson, Schenn
    D: Doughty, Giordano, Barrie, Hedman, Justin Schultz
    G: Price

Prospects: Barkov, Mantha, Domi, Zykov, Buchnevich, Khoklachev, Jankowski, Puempel, Bozon, Ho-Sang, Milano, Larsson, Dumba, DeAngelo, Niederreiter, Baertschi
    Prospect Picks 2015-1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9
    Prospects left from 13/14-Larkin, Fleury, Honka, Tuch, McCann, Scherbak, Ristolainen

Dobber Sports Master

Yes, you want to try and avoid the perpetual rebuild. I think doing this would set you back way too far.

Dobber Sports Genius

Don't take this trade for reasons above and hope you don't finish 6th again this year (6-6-6 get it) That trade will set you back and you will be a bottom feeder for a few more years hoping that some of those kids will put up 70-80 points, which they won't. Kreider is a stud, OEL > Jones and wasn't Getz 3rd or 4th in scoring last year? Guys throwing a lot of quantity at you hoping you'll bite.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

NO! You can do much better than this deal. You can definitely get more for these guys in separate deals, but you do not need to basically "give away" Spezza and Getzlaf.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov

The Great One

You're forwards aren't very good in a 7 team league but your farm and up and comers are good. I like your forward depth but besides Stamkos you're missing another 2-3 studs.

I wouldn't accept that deal because of OEL. If he wasn't a part of it it would look more enticing.

Trade Spezza now for Teravainen and Monahan. You don't need him. Getzlaf too. Make sure the return is premium. Build your team to win in 3 years. You have the tools already and Getzlaf should help you a lot.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks again for the feedback. This is really good stuff!