Page 7 of 310 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I don't think they had a choice - Melky seems to be gone, and quality OF don't grow on trees.

He'll add another three pitchers to the bullpen, don't worry. Including a closer
    Maybe, but they are taking a gamble on a guy who has had issues staying healthy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Sanchez and Cecil will be closers if the Jays don’t get one from outside. A kid who can throw 100m/hr can be one of the best closers in the league. However, I think a cool experiment would be Dickey as a reliever/closer. He does well for about 5 innings, and then everything falls apart anyways. Just make sure he pitches 3-4innings. Imagine trying to hit a knuckleball after facing Stroman or Sanchez (if they make him a SP). But at Dickeys pay rate, they’ll never try it, and it could seriously piss him off lol.
    I can't see it. Dickey's best asset is being able to chew innings at a perfectly mediocre rate. If you can surround that with good defence you can get to 10 wins with this guy as a fifth starter who hopefully isn't taxing your bullpen too hard, too often. More importantly, I just don't see how his stuff translates to the bullpen. This isn't a guy who can be improved by using him in concentrated doses so that he can put everything into a small amount of pitches without worrying about being taxed for later innings. His stuff doesn't work that way.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Interesting idea, but too risky.
    Too many passed balls, even with Thole, to use Dickey as the closer.
    Too easy to steal bases on a knuckler too.
    And like you said... Dickey would never go for it. He already has a rep for being a bit of a baby.

Sanchez is in the rotation for sure, with Happ traded, unless AA has some other moves still coming. Dickey, Buhrle, Stroman, Sanchez and ???
    The stealing bases thing is a good point. It’s also not like Thole is a great guy at picking off players. Plus you’d have to (now) remove Martin from the game to put in Thole if Dickey closed/relieved.

Isn’t Hutchinson still a Jay? He’s only 23 and looked good last yr. If AA does bring in a SP, Sanchez would be a solid closer, but I think the jays will give him a chance to try and start. Just like what they did with Stroman last season.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Oh yeah, forgot about Hutchison!
    How could you forget about the Bull-Dog! You had me worried that the Jays let him go or something

I...am your father.

Gibbons said today on the FAN that Sanchez 99% will be in the rotation to start.

AA will get a closer from outside the organization, though he may have to get a setup man and turn him into a closer
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Titan

There goes my theory. And Toronto isn’t in the Miller running anymore. Maybe get a setup guy and change him into a closer or Cecil. Other than that the jays have no one I’d trust.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Gibbons said today on the FAN that Sanchez 99% will be in the rotation to start.

AA will get a closer from outside the organization, though he may have to get a setup man and turn him into a closer
    I just hope they shop at the bottom of the barrel. Never, ever, pay for bullpen help.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Titan

They need someone reliable, not old, and not looking for payday. None of this Colon BS. They need a closer, or a relief guy who wants to prove he can close

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    There goes my theory. And Toronto isn’t in the Miller running anymore. Maybe get a setup guy and change him into a closer or Cecil. Other than that the jays have no one I’d trust.
    I love Cecil as a setup guy. I hope that's where he stays and they get a top closer to follow him. That would shorten games up immensely and add 20 wins to this team

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

I'm just happy the reign of terror, otherwise known as Sergio Santos, is finally over. Man, what a trainwreck of a pitcher.
    I kinda take exception to this. Yes, it's true, but not really fair. He threw what, four pitches, and then was out for the season and came back a shell of what he was? What if he rested that day and his arm was spared? For all we know, he'd be the next Mariano Rivera

Dobber Sports Pro

Closer is the most overrated position in baseball. As much as I'd love to have a Kimbrel, Chapman, Holland, Street, etc. If you don't have one there's no point in acquiring one, I believe I saw somewheres, that the introduction of closers hasn't increased the teams chances of closing out a game in the 9th inning. Guys like to know their roles, and I get that but a "closer" by committee team would work.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Titan

A solid closer pretty much eliminates the last inning in a way. With the jays, they pile up runs via homeruns and doubles, which aren’t easy to come by. So if they were down by 1 at home going into the 9th, a solid closer would go 3up3down and give the jays a very easy chance to win. Or if they were up by 1, the solid closer would keep it that way. Closer by committee may work with a small ball team/even hitting team, but with the jays and top end loaded, if you give up 9th inning runs and go into the bottom of the 9th hitting and you have a bad string of hitters, it’s tough.

I hope you get what I’m saying.

- - - Updated - - -

A solid closer pretty much eliminates the last inning in a way. With the jays, they pile up runs via homeruns and doubles, which aren’t easy to come by. So if they were down by 1 at home going into the 9th, a solid closer would go 3up3down and give the jays a very easy chance to win. Or if they were up by 1, the solid closer would keep it that way. Closer by committee may work with a small ball team/even hitting team, but with the jays and top end loaded, if you give up 9th inning runs and go into the bottom of the 9th hitting and you have a bad string of hitters, it’s tough.

I hope you get what I’m saying.

Banned

Boston got a whole lot better this off-season. At least the Rays and yankees didn't. Jays are the third best team right now IMO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

What did the Orioles do that was so special?? I know they lost one of their heavy hitters to Seattle..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Sage

I fully expect Hector Olivera to be our starting 2nd baseman come opening day. His glove is a little limited but the bat is great. We are not considered to be one of the front runners for his service which means we have a chance. They have to be thinking about this him I would think.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.