Page 6 of 310 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

I...am your father.

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Kind of surprised Smoak, Dirks and the other guy weren't qualified and now become FAs. Aren't the Jays kind of in need of some depth?? I know it cleared $6.2 mill or whatever so they could be prepping for something bigger.....
    Smoak really surprised me. I thought he'd be a great backup guy

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I'm a pretty big fan of AA's offseason so far, but let's not kid ourselves. This team is not a contender until they upgrade their pitching.
    And they still have depth issues, as another poster said.
    Plus big holes elsewhere in their lineup (2nd base and LF especially). I'm also not sold on a Pompey/Pillar platoon in center. Seriously... THAT is our center field strategy? Neither of them is as good as Gose defensively and neither has proven anything with the stick yet either.
    Oh, and NO CLOSER in the pen.
    Yikes.

Lots of work to do.

Love the Donaldson and Martin moves though. Contenders have stud catchers. Simple as that.
    Even if you have to overpay for him, I support it. The only downside is that Navarro actually had a solid year last year, and they've now pissed him off. Hopefully they can flip him for a 2nd baseman!
    I think he's getting someone in the pen. And while I like the pitching staff, yes he needs about two more starters. We learned that lesson two years ago - as soon as Morrow and Johnson went down and Hutchinson never made it back, they were exposed badly. I'm not sold on Pompey either, I'm still really hoping for Melkey
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Okay so they did sign Smoak. That makes more sense. I like him coming off the bench.

So Saunders as the Melky replacement? Ugh. I guess at best he 'could' do okay. I remember when they got Devon White 20-odd years ago White was coming off a tough year as well...

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Okay so they did sign Smoak. That makes more sense. I like him coming off the bench.

So Saunders as the Melky replacement? Ugh. I guess at best he 'could' do okay. I remember when they got Devon White 20-odd years ago White was coming off a tough year as well...
    When has Saunders had a good year?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

I...am your father.

2012 he batted .247, 19 HR, 21 SB just two seasons ago and he's in his prime. Stick his 2014 avg of .273 with the 2012 power and speed and you have something.

With Devon White - he was coming off a .217 season and was four years removed from anything over 12 HR. But then he joined the Jays and hit .282 and became a steady 17 HR guy. That's all I was saying. Just trying to provide some hope

Dobber Sports Padawan

Saunders is supposedly a better defender than Melky in LF. If true, this will help their young CF platoon (which offensively can't be worse than last years duo).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    Saunders is supposedly a better defender than Melky in LF. If true, this will help their young CF platoon (which offensively can't be worse than last years duo).
    I've heard the same. Don't think he'll blow the offensive doors off in Melky fashion but a sound defender with a bit of Pop and potential to hit between .255 and .275. Could be worse. Oh yeah... younger and not 1 year removed from serious back surgery!

Dobber Sports Deity

I think its a big gamble to roll with the kids in the rotation. It's not like JA Happ was a super star or anything, but he was pretty steady for the Jays. How many times have you heard, you can never have too much starting pitching? For the Jays, this has been an issue of theirs for some time.

Sure they saved a few bucks comparing Happ to Saunders, and even more when you compare Saunders to Melky, but did this move really improve them or set them back? If they use the extra money to fill other holes then the deal doesn't look as bad, but right now I don't like it. Their LF position just got worse compared to last year and their rotation is now filled with less experience. Not really a recipe for a so-called "win now" team.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think its a big gamble to roll with the kids in the rotation. It's not like JA Happ was a super star or anything, but he was pretty steady for the Jays. How many times have you heard, you can never have too much starting pitching? For the Jays, this has been an issue of theirs for some time.

Sure they saved a few bucks comparing Happ to Saunders, and even more when you compare Saunders to Melky, but did this move really improve them or set them back? If they use the extra money to fill other holes then the deal doesn't look as bad, but right now I don't like it. Their LF position just got worse compared to last year and their rotation is now filled with less experience. Not really a recipe for a so-called "win now" team.
    All Good Points, and if AA is finished then I think this offseason may prove to be a terrible one. Just gotta think he has another card or two to play to make this all make sense in the end.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    All Good Points, and if AA is finished then I think this offseason may prove to be a terrible one. Just gotta think he has another card or two to play to make this all make sense in the end.
    No McGowan and Morrow too. Thats a lot saved isnt it?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    No McGowan and Morrow too. Thats a lot saved isnt it?
    From a talented Roster stand poing, neither played enough to warrant any attention in their departure... but yes... Considerable dollars freed up. Hope they didn't just spend those dollars on a decent upgrade behind the plate and think "that's it". there has to be some more moves coming.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Their LF position just got worse compared to last year and their rotation is now filled with less experience. Not really a recipe for a so-called "win now" team.
    I don't think they had a choice - Melky seems to be gone, and quality OF don't grow on trees.

He'll add another three pitchers to the bullpen, don't worry. Including a closer

Dobber Sports Deity

McGowan wasn't costing them a lot (I think his salary was 1.5M) but Morrow was a decent hit to their payroll ( somewhere around 8M) so yes, that helps a bit too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I don't think they had a choice - Melky seems to be gone, and quality OF don't grow on trees.

He'll add another three pitchers to the bullpen, don't worry. Including a closer
    You think he's going to bring in a Closer rather than promote from within?

Who do you think that Closer is? And will it be acquiring an existing closer or acquiring a relief pitcher he hopes can Close? Big difference IMO.

I agree with Axe in that landing an Ace is what the rotation needs. Even if that still includes Buehrle and Dickie and then bring along Strallman and one of Norris or Sanchez with the other landing inthe bull pen to start.

But I love the idea of starting to role the kids...but would like to see only 2 of th 3 in the starting rotation.

Dobber Sports Titan

Sanchez and Cecil will be closers if the Jays don’t get one from outside. A kid who can throw 100m/hr can be one of the best closers in the league. However, I think a cool experiment would be Dickey as a reliever/closer. He does well for about 5 innings, and then everything falls apart anyways. Just make sure he pitches 3-4innings. Imagine trying to hit a knuckleball after facing Stroman or Sanchez (if they make him a SP). But at Dickeys pay rate, they’ll never try it, and it could seriously piss him off lol.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Sanchez and Cecil will be closers if the Jays don’t get one from outside. A kid who can throw 100m/hr can be one of the best closers in the league. However, I think a cool experiment would be Dickey as a reliever/closer. He does well for about 5 innings, and then everything falls apart anyways. Just make sure he pitches 3-4innings. Imagine trying to hit a knuckleball after facing Stroman or Sanchez (if they make him a SP). But at Dickeys pay rate, they’ll never try it, and it could seriously piss him off lol.
    Not a bad idea. IF the science behind the Knuckle ball suggests he messes up the batters during the game he pithes as well as the game that follows for a fire baller... imagine him coming in to throw off timing in the 6th and 7th only to be followed by a Sanchez or Cecil?

The only scarey part is that Dickey and his Knuckleball (while it can be GREAT) is fairly inconsistent... and when he's off... he's REALLY off. You never quite know until you get him into a game. Atleast when he starts, you can take appropriate action quickly when he falters or ride him out if he's on. But I think there would be a LOT of pissed off starters who are relieved by Dickie which result in no decisions.

Bold but extremely Risky