Page 278 of 309 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 288 ... LastLast
Results 4,156 to 4,170 of 4632

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

I'm fine with the Jays not chasing Soto. They didn't need to go that big. They got depth pieces where their competitors got improvements. If you're going to put pieces like Chapman and Gausman into your lineup, then compliment them with upgrades in in other areas too. It just feels like Atkins wasn't prepared to push his chips in and go for it, even though the offseason improvements say they are going for it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I heard he said he'll get the shot now.

I think the Jays did well. They have an awesome team, just needed to solidify pitching and then cover off Springer. I think they achieved that and kept their organizational depth
    Really bizarre to make a trade for a guy if you're not sure he can play home games. This is the equivalent of trading for a guy with a nagging injury and not getting an updated physical.
    Also, not sure, does he need to have 2 shots, 6 weeks apart to be considered "vaccinated"?? Or perhaps since has has been traded, and presumably will be establishing residence in Toronto he can get a work visa?

No idea, hopefully the Jays figured these details out before trading for him.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Really bizarre to make a trade for a guy if you're not sure he can play home games. This is the equivalent of trading for a guy with a nagging injury and not getting an updated physical.
    Also, not sure, does he need to have 2 shots, 6 weeks apart to be considered "vaccinated"?? Or perhaps since has has been traded, and presumably will be establishing residence in Toronto he can get a work visa?

No idea, hopefully the Jays figured these details out before trading for him.
    I believe the Sportsnet crew said he could get the J&J vaccine and be good after a 1.5-2 week period.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

I get not going nuts on Montas, Syndergaard or Skubal. Jays need a 4th/5th starter that just help reduce the strain on your 3 guys for the playoffs. Getting White could be an amazing piece, but he's unproven. That's a winter move to me to have more runway with him to see what he's about. The biggest whiff for me is not getting a strikeout reliever. The Jays could have easily gotten Soto, but it likely would have been centered around Bichette and that's a huge move mid season and could mess the locker room up. They also didn't have anyone behind Bichette really in terms of depth. If Bichette is moved for Soto it would be a winter move to me. More time to figure out your lineup with the OF they have too.

Atkins/Shapiro whiffed on the real need (K RPers). Then panic traded for Merrifield for CF/INF depth last minute. My fear is Judge at the plate in the 8th inning with Bass/Pop/Cimber at the plate in a do-or-die playoff game in New York.
    I don't feel like the Yankees went nuts for Montas though. He's like a top 20 SP. Castillo was VERY expensive so that I get. But did the Yanks even lose a top 5 prospect?

As for Whit. RH bat who is on the decline. I don't understand it. I felt like there were so many players available and either they whiffed or just didn't offer enough. Sure the Jays are better, but most teams around them made more improvements. Minnesota gets Lopez AND Fulmer. Yanks are better. Mariners are better. It was frustrating to watch.

At least we get a $300 million balcony?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    I believe the Sportsnet crew said he could get the J&J vaccine and be good after a 1.5-2 week period.
    You need 14 days post "final shot" to be eligible. So if he got the J&J one yesterday, he's eligible for August 17th. But if he decides to get the Moderna/Pfizer shot, he needs to wait 14 days post 2nd shot. Which I think you need 10 days between the shots, so 3-4weeks.

Here's Toronto's schedule:
    @Minny August 4-7 (4)
    @Baltimore August 8-10 (3)
    vs Cleveland August 12-14 (3)
    vs Baltimore August 15-17 (3)
    @ New York August 18-21 (4)
    @ Boston August 23-25 (3)
    vs LAA August 26-28 (3)

It doesn't really matter which one he does end up getting I think. If he gets J&J, he can play max 1-2 games vs Baltimore August 16/17 if he got his vaccination on deadline day. If it's 10days between 1st and 2nd Pfizer shots, he's then back for that August 26-28 series vs LAA. He's addressing the media today today about his vaccination status, and the way the Jays were addressing it very cautiously in the media, I wonder if legally (HIPAA?) they could say anything other than "it's up to him"
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I don't feel like the Yankees went nuts for Montas though. He's like a top 20 SP. Castillo was VERY expensive so that I get. But did the Yanks even lose a top 5 prospect?

As for Whit. RH bat who is on the decline. I don't understand it. I felt like there were so many players available and either they whiffed or just didn't offer enough. Sure the Jays are better, but most teams around them made more improvements. Minnesota gets Lopez AND Fulmer. Yanks are better. Mariners are better. It was frustrating to watch.

At least we get a $300 million balcony?
    Exactly where my head is too. I'd rather have overpaid a bit for Ian Happ than paying for Merrifield.

And the way I understand it, Merrifield has to be fully vaccinated before he can play in Canada, meaning two shots.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Exactly where my head is too. I'd rather have overpaid a bit for Ian Happ than paying for Merrifield.

And the way I understand it, Merrifield has to be fully vaccinated before he can play in Canada, meaning two shots.
    Or 1 shot of the J&J.

I wonder if the Cubs weren't willing to move Happ and Contrease(?) unless it was insane overpayment. It's not like the Jays missed him, the Cubs didn't even move either. They might have just wanted to keep him around for 'the feels'

I'm not in agreement of the Merrifield deal, but since May 1st, he's hit 0.266/0.316/0.397 (0.663OPS) and since July 1st 0.284/0.341/0.506 (0.790OPS) and he's been doing it playing in Kansas City (huge ballpark). I'm open to it, but again I think it was a panic move once they couldn't get Happ.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

What a headache this whole Merrifield situation is.

Was it really worth it?

Hoping he turns into the Whit from a couple years past!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

I do like that he's only $2.75 million next year. But ya... What does that matter if he can't play at home haha.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Can't wait to watch Fulmer and Lopez shut down the Jays tonight.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Woohoo Teoscar!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

So I'm sure people heard this but, Merrifield said he got vaccinated prior to the trade deadline and will be in Toronto their next homestand which would be August 12th vs Boston. Which would have him vaccinated with the J&J vaccine sometime last week (July 24-30)

So Jays knew he was vaccinated without "knowing". There's legal issues wrapped around vaccinations and jobs in the USA and I'm sure there was a tight line they were walking trying to avoid saying "we acquired him knowing he's vaccinated". Which could push the MLBPA to saying, "did you just not give someone who's unvaccinated a chance? You can't do that"

Dobber Sports Immortal

This has been beyond frustrating to watch. Almost no change since Montoyo was canned.

Even a decent run here would have them back in the division race with the Yankees finally slumping.

Dobber Sports Deity

What I find intersting is Pete Walker is considered a wizard with his pitchers but when the pitching has been terrible (which it has been outside of Manoah and Gausman, and even Gausman's been meh most of the season), you never hear any criticism of Walker. Kikuchi, who I thought was going to be a good 5th starter, has been a disaster and to add to the fun, he's got two more years at $12M after this one. Listening to Bob McCown's podcast yesterday, he thinks the only reason he keeps getting run out there is because of his contract. Atkins inability to shore up the rotation could very well be the downfall of the Jays playoff hopes. I wonder why the wizard Walker can't get Kikuchi and other starters turned around? It will be interesting to see if Schneider keeps running him out there. At this point, I'd rather see someone like Mitch White or Ross Stripling start over Kikuchi. Sad part is, you cant even trust Kikuchi coming out of the bullpen to keep the ball in the park.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    What I find intersting is Pete Walker is considered a wizard with his pitchers but when the pitching has been terrible (which it has been outside of Manoah and Gausman, and even Gausman's been meh most of the season), you never hear any criticism of Walker. Kikuchi, who I thought was going to be a good 5th starter, has been a disaster and to add to the fun, he's got two more years at $12M after this one. Listening to Bob McCown's podcast yesterday, he thinks the only reason he keeps getting run out there is because of his contract. Atkins inability to shore up the rotation could very well be the downfall of the Jays playoff hopes. I wonder why the wizard Walker can't get Kikuchi and other starters turned around? It will be interesting to see if Schneider keeps running him out there. At this point, I'd rather see someone like Mitch White or Ross Stripling start over Kikuchi. Sad part is, you cant even trust Kikuchi coming out of the bullpen to keep the ball in the park.
    Kikuchi and Berrios are now the two worst pitchers in the League by ERA, with a min 80 IP. And they're both signed long term.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Torontoblue...orst_pitchers/

Scary stuff guys. Like Axe said, once again they didn't shore up the rotation and they must have the worst SP depth in the League. Why does it seem every other team can call up a random SP and get a solid start? The Jays have no one to call. It's embarrassing.