Page 106 of 310 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 116 156 206 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 4641

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

Big Daddy

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

I didn't hear what John Gibbons had to say on the situation but I saw on twitter that he told The Fan 590 that an announcement will be made at the end of today regarding the closer's role. Seems like everyone believes it'll be Drew Storen but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is Roberto Osuna. Even if Storen is named closer today, I fully expect Osuna to steal the job early on.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Titan

Storen exploded as a setup man (not the good explode). Before the Papelbon trade, Storen had 29 saves, 1.73ERA, and finished the yr with like a 3.44ERA.

The second Paplebon came onto the team, Storen had an ERA in august of 8.49 (11.2IP), and in Sept/Oct had an ERA of 5.4 (5.0IP). He’s mental state is Closer. I can see a dual closer role, but come big time games, it’s Cecil in the 7th, Osuna in the 8th, Storen in the 9th.

I know a lot of people don’t believe there is such a thing as a “Closer”, but it’s the mental state of a person. Who can handle the pressure, and who thrives under pressure. Storen got messed up when he was set to be a setup guy, and he never recovered

I expect Storen to be the closer, and Osuna to get closing Opps, but he’s not the MAIN closer
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Storen exploded as a setup man (not the good explode). Before the Papelbon trade, Storen had 29 saves, 1.73ERA, and finished the yr with like a 3.44ERA.

The second Paplebon came onto the team, Storen had an ERA in august of 8.49 (11.2IP), and in Sept/Oct had an ERA of 5.4 (5.0IP). He’s mental state is Closer. I can see a dual closer role, but come big time games, it’s Cecil in the 7th, Osuna in the 8th, Storen in the 9th.

I know a lot of people don’t believe there is such a thing as a “Closer”, but it’s the mental state of a person. Who can handle the pressure, and who thrives under pressure. Storen got messed up when he was set to be a setup guy, and he never recovered

I expect Storen to be the closer, and Osuna to get closing Opps, but he’s not the MAIN closer
    A lot of Storens issues last year after they acquried Papelbon probably came to his whole anger around the situation. I can't say I blame him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    A lot of Storens issues last year after they acquried Papelbon probably came to his whole anger around the situation. I can't say I blame him.
    Ya, Storen, the club raised closer, who was having a monster yr for the team that was (I think) 1st in the division at the time (or close) should have had 100% job secuirity. They bring in a known hot head and clubhouse destroyer. I’d be unsettled for a position where I need ice in my veins too.

Dobber Sports Deity

Jays sticking with Osuna as the closer, for now.

http://www.tsn.ca/jays-stick-with-os...-role-1.461490

The Toronto Blue Jays are sticking with their youngest hurler to close out games to start the 2016 season.

The team announced Wednesday morning that 21-year-old Roberto Osuna would be the team’s Opening Day closer after a superb rookie campaign last year.

"Really, we like both (Osuna and Drew Storen) but I have a familiarity with Ousna; we all do," Jays manager John Gibbons said. "We have some flexibility if we decide to change some things the further along the season we go."

Osuna took over the closer role from left-hander Brett Cecil in late June and was magnificent over the following three months.

He posted a 1-6 record with 20 saves and 75 strikeouts over 69.2 innings (68 games) in 2015. Osuna also had a 2.58 ERA and a 0.919 WHIP. The Mexican threw 5.2 innings in the American League Division Series against the Texas Rangers, allowing no runs and no hits with six strikeouts. Osuna had a rough time against the Kansas City Royals, though, posting a 6.75 ERA over 2.2 innings in the American League Championship Series and was stuck with the Game 6 elimination loss.

"It's not too much about what I did last year, it's about the confidence Pete Walker and Gibby are giving to me right now. That means a lot to me and I'm, obviously, going to do my best," Osuna said.

Some believed the Jays would go with former Washington Nationals closer Storen in the closer's role after he was acquired by the organization over the winter via trade. But for now, the Toronto is going with the guy that was an integral part of their memorable 2015 ride to the playoffs.
    As I said to a friend after reading this, I dont hate the decision but I think I would have rather seen it go to Storen and let Osuna get more work than just an inning here and there. The Jays offense, if it's as good as we expect it to be, will probably not offer as many save opportunities as a lot of other teams will give. Also, he came up as a starter and if they want to work him into the rotation down the road, they need to get him stretching out his innings. I would have rather seen him getting used as a mid to long reliever to start working him towards the rotation. As a closer, he won't get these opportunities.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Well I was wrong haha, totally expected Storen as the closer.

If they had Osuna as a setup, he could be a 4/5 out set up guy too coming in the 7th. Stretch him out that way.

- - - Updated - - -

But we all remember how Cecil was the closer last yr, and that changed. I feel like they may play it loose with this role.

Big Daddy

For what ever reason, I had a feeling it'd be Osuna. Glad I grabbed him off waivers, this benefits my fantasy team anyway.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Immortal

Cannot wait for Sunday!!! GO JAYS GO

No reason to think that their offense won't continue where they left off last season. Aside from Colabello no one really had a breakout year.....I just think they're so stacked up top that pitchers have to throw competitive stuff to the rest of the order so they don't risk putting them on base for the big guys. It's a great set up.

Dobber Sports Titan

Pillar, Goins, Travis, Smoak, and Colly had breakout yrs. Donaldson arguably did too. He was expected to be a top hitter, but MVP was not on the radar. But I get your point, they’re a lock for top 3 offense in the league again.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Pillar, Goins, Travis, Smoak, and Colly had breakout yrs. Donaldson arguably did too. He was expected to be a top hitter, but MVP was not on the radar. But I get your point, they’re a lock for top 3 offense in the league again.
    Well I'm talking real breakouts like into a star where people might assume regression this year.......Smoak did not have a breakout year at all....Travis had a breakout month and a half which a ton of players have

Dobber Sports Padawan

Last year the Jays O was historically good. To assume there will be no real regression is setting yourself up for disappointment. Donaldson, EE and Jose will be hard pressed to match last years HR and RBI totals. And truth be told, they don't need to reach those totals to get back to where the team left off. A healthy Saunders and Tulo will pick up the slack. Pillar and Goins should improve on last years stats as well.

This team has a much improved defence and pitching staff which will keep the wins coming. If health is not an issue, this team will win 94-98 games.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Well I'm talking real breakouts like into a star where people might assume regression this year.......Smoak did not have a breakout year at all....Travis had a breakout month and a half which a ton of players have
    Smoak had the highest RBI, WAR, and OPS of his career. 5th on the TBJ in HR, but had 46% of the PA as Donaldson. I’d say Smoak had a breakout year.

Travis had a breakout year even if it lasted a month. There was nothing about Travis’s game that suggested it was a fluke, and what did he do the previous year? He came into the league and made his presence felt.

I don’t know what you mean by “where people might assume regression this year” and not mention Donaldson. I can’t see him doing what he did last yr again. Nothing against him, but anything less than an MVP, 40HR, 120RBI, 120Runs, and just south of a 300avg would be considered regression.

Dobber Sports Titan

Chavez’s movement was really good yesterday. He took a batter to find the zone, but after that he was hitting his spots great. Tampa is really good at hitting good pitches and the ones they got him on were right where they needed to be.

I can see him being used as a Starter at some point this yr.

Dobber Sports Deity

I normally think that Pillar unnecessarily leaves his feet to make the TV highlight catch, but that catch last night was absolutely awesome.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I normally think that Pillar unnecessarily leaves his feet to make the TV highlight catch, but that catch last night was absolutely awesome.
    He’s insane. I don’t know how he got up from that. His fielding is unworldly, if only he had a cannon of an arm, would be the best CF defensively by far.

I just pray he doesn’t become Brett Lawrie. He was reckless in his defense for his 1st season then got hurt and became the BAB. I know Pillar isn’t in his first yr, but man, 1 injury and he’ll start playing scared I think. He’ll not know where the wall is, he’ll be hesitant to make jump.

But he gets up every time like it’s nothing when he hits the wall/ground hard.