Page 104 of 310 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 114 154 204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 4641

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

Administrator

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

I've got no qualms losing both EE and Jose. They are hugely impactful guys but you would rather get out too early than too late on this sort of talent. Assuming they get some really good compensatory picks if they ride out the season and then lose both in free agency. There's no replacing those guys right away unless the talent is already waiting in the minors but that's the case whether EE and Jose leave or simply see their skills erode over time.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm ok with not signing both of them but I'm not sure if I'm ok with not signing either of them.

I think as their careers progress you're looking at two guys that are going to need to DH, and having both long term just doesn't really make sense. But I don't know if management can afford to not sign both of them - perception-wise it would be catastrophic imo. You already have a salty fan base upset that AA wasn't brought back (even though it was already a foregone conclusion before the season ended), and the fanbase already sees new management as Rogers puppets brought in to save the company $.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think the same type of money they are looking for can be spent on younger guys who can bring something similar to what they'd be losing in EE and Bautista. Better bang for the buck and a better investment. I have no issue losing one, or if need be, both of them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I'm ok with not signing both of them but I'm not sure if I'm ok with not signing either of them.

I think as their careers progress you're looking at two guys that are going to need to DH, and having both long term just doesn't really make sense. But I don't know if management can afford to not sign both of them - perception-wise it would be catastrophic imo. You already have a salty fan base upset that AA wasn't brought back (even though it was already a foregone conclusion before the season ended), and the fanbase already sees new management as Rogers puppets brought in to save the company $.
    Yeah but so often perception is way off. People just love big splashy names. Remember the Dickey trade? Or all the Marlins the Jays brought in? Didn't make them any better. Lost some real keepers in those deals. My goodness if they had Syndergaard instead of Dickey right now. Sticking to the long term process is the way to go. Win enough with that strategy and the people will come around. Winning the winter doesn't mean shit to the bottom line if the team has a losing record by the time June hits. People aren't going to turn up to the ball park just because you kept EE and Joey if the team isn't winning.

Dobber Sports Deity

There's no doubt that Syndergaard would look great for the Jays right now, but it seems like most of the big name prospects they traded away haven't really amounted to much over the years. It's the odd one you see now that you can say you regret dealing away. That's the chance you take to acquire proven talent.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Yeah but so often perception is way off. People just love big splashy names. Remember the Dickey trade? Or all the Marlins the Jays brought in? Didn't make them any better. Lost some real keepers in those deals. My goodness if they had Syndergaard instead of Dickey right now. Sticking to the long term process is the way to go. Win enough with that strategy and the people will come around. Winning the winter doesn't mean shit to the bottom line if the team has a losing record by the time June hits. People aren't going to turn up to the ball park just because you kept EE and Joey if the team isn't winning.
    I get that but at the same time I think perception does play a role.

I mean ideally, you have management develop a strong long-term plan that is sustainable and doesn't leave the team prone to peaks and valleys. The issue here is that this management group was already coming into a situation where they were perceived to be the bad guys, and if they don't follow it up with another strong season and regress badly for the sake of long-term success, all the progress that was made in this organization last year is going to be lost.

Not to mention it looks like this team's window is right now.

Administrator

I get that but at the same time I think perception does play a role.

I mean ideally, you have management develop a strong long-term plan that is sustainable and doesn't leave the team prone to peaks and valleys. The issue here is that this management group was already coming into a situation where they were perceived to be the bad guys, and if they don't follow it up with another strong season and regress badly for the sake of long-term success, all the progress that was made in this organization last year is going to be lost.

Not to mention it looks like this team's window is right now.
    They can still win this season with these guys unsigned for next season. You can have the best of both worlds.

Dobber Sports Titan

If the Jays don’t sign them, they’ll get a compensatory pick. I think people forget that, or don’t take into account it when dealing with these guys. And worse comes to worse, Jays are in the Tigers situation last yr, you trade them and get a massive haul. Plus the Jays scouting seems to be pretty solid, so a compensation pick could end up great. Trout was a compensation pick for Teixeira going to the Yankees.

I’d sign JB, Pompey to RF next yr, JB to DH or 1B. You have to plan for some point Tulo is going to get too slow to play SS, and he fits into a DH role too. Maybe you can shift him to 2B, and have Goins/Travis as SS, but Tulo will be hitting DH sometime in the next few yrs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

And so it begins...

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/...54203186167808

Tulo day to day per #BlueJays. X-ray negative. Bone bruise to right hand on knuckles of first and second fingers.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Better than it could have been i guess

Dobber Sports Deity

Better than it could have been i guess
    True, and at least it wasn't as freaky as stepping on a water sprinkler head or fielding bunt drills.

Dobber Sports Titan

From what Sportsnet said last night it isn’t anything bad.

Lets be more positive. Sanchez, in his pre-season has put up solid numbers. 3ER in 20IP (1.35ERA). 19Ks, 3Walks, and 15hits.He’s worked mostly against ½ teams, but his stuff apparently has looked really good.

And Stroman is the Opening Day Starter, and projected to be the home opener vs the dreaded Red Sox.

Dobber Sports Titan

Hutch to AAA, Sanchez in the rotation.

Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, Dickey. Not bad.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Hutch to AAA, Sanchez in the rotation.

Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, Dickey. Not bad.
    That's serviceable... they'll be competitive as long as the bats continue their trajectory from last season.

Dobber Sports Titan

If Sanchez doesn’t do well, they have Floyd, Chavez and Hutch are there to start.

I’m just excited to see if Sanchez finally gets to throw 100+ innings. He’s looked really good.