Page 192 of 310 FirstFirst ... 92 142 182 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 202 242 292 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 4638

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

I don't think this needs its own thread but did anyone see the controversial review and call last night in the 5th inning? For those wondering I'll set the stage:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Batter hits a deep fly ball to Granderson in LF, Granderson is under it, runners all go back to tag. Granderson jumps at the wall, ball goes off his glove, runners take off. As Granderson is falling to the ground he catches the ball, runners then go back to tag up. Ump calls batter out. Runner on 3rd is most important, because he left the bag, then had to go back to tag 3rd, he did not have time to tag and score so he stays on 3rd. Granderson relays the ball into 3rd. Donaldson catches the ball while standing on 3rd.

Ruling on the field: Batter is called out, runners could have advanced on tag-up but due to leaving early they do not, no runners advance.

White Sox ask for a replay: Replay shows that the ball went off the top of the wall before Granderson caught it. Thus, the batter is not out. The umpires award all runners 1 base.

Here's my problem: All of the runners were returning to their bases before the ump made the "out" call in LF. The runners actions of leaving the bag and then returning were not affected by the call but by their base running instincts and assumptions that Granderson made a catch. Now the White Sox did not do anything wrong relying on the incorrect call of the ump, but the Jays did not do anything wrong either. If the ump had made the correct no-catch call then given the position of the ball and the runners I think it was likely the Jays make a force-out at either 2nd or 3rd base. You see this happen from time to time with a flair to shallow outfield, runner on 1st does not want to get doubled up and a CF traps the ball and gets a force at 2. Granderson was holding the ball on the warning track and both runners who were being forced had not left their bags, it likely takes a second or two for them to realize they need to advance.

I never heard a satisfactory explanation for the call. Presumably the umps thought that if no-catch was called all runners would have advanced one base or simply assumed they get a bag.

If I was reviewing the call I would have called the runner advancing to 3rd out on a force. I would likely have scored the runner from 3rd and advanced the runner from 1st to second and batter to 1st.

There is also an argument to be made that the runner advancing to 3rd is out via force and that the runner previously on 3rd stays on 3rd, because he would not have advanced to home on a no-catch call, he can now stay on 3rd as Donaldson eliminated his force by stepping on 3rd before tagging the runner. Then the runner on 1st goes to 2nd and batter safe at 1st. Result being: no run scores, bases loaded again, 2 outs.

Anyways, weird call that I think MLB got wrong. Once you start assuming what players would have done and where runners would have ended up had a correct call been made you need to consider the relationship of the ball and runners immediately prior to the incorrect call.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

@lawman

Tons of hypothetical happenings on this play. I don't know of a reasonable response other than the umps were caught in a tough place. It was "fair" for both teams. Who says the CWS couldn't have scored 2 if they knew it wasn't a catch.

I dunno, they weren't going to make a right call on the play, but to me this is the most correct call they could have done out of any call they could have made?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

It took the Jays 24 games in 2017 to get to 7 wins. Only took them 11 games this yr.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Great start to the year. Regardless of them facing easier teams so far, these are the games they have to win in order to compete. Win these series, go .500 or a bit worse vs the heavyweights and they should be in a great position.

Dobber Sports Titan

What a pitching performance by Sanchez last night.

Ump was pretty consistent except for about a 3" perimeter around the outside of the strike zone. Sometimes it was called a strike, sometimes it wasn't. But it was for both teams.

Yet to lose a series. Time to sweep tonight, and then head to Cleveland which is going to be a tough opponent.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    What a pitching performance by Sanchez last night.

Ump was pretty consistent except for about a 3" perimeter around the outside of the strike zone. Sometimes it was called a strike, sometimes it wasn't. But it was for both teams.

Yet to lose a series. Time to sweep tonight, and then head to Cleveland which is going to be a tough opponent.
    Sachez adding a changeup to his pitch selection is deadly!

Also- Osuna: Youngest pitcher ever to 100 Saves! That's an impressive and cool stat to have on your resume.

Final question: Has it been brutally cold in the North East the last week? Every highlite I see the players are all wearing the balaclava neck warmer things, you never see those come out in baseball.

Go Jays!
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Sachez adding a changeup to his pitch selection is deadly!

Also- Osuna: Youngest pitcher ever to 100 Saves! That's an impressive and cool stat to have on your resume.

Final question: Has it been brutally cold in the North East the last week? Every highlite I see the players are all wearing the balaclava neck warmer things, you never see those come out in baseball.

Go Jays!
    Temps been about 2C-10C. Explains the power droughts happening in the ALeast division. A lot of balls hanging up in the air right now. Pillar had 2 catches at the warning track last night that would have been gone in June/July.

Dobber Sports Titan

Donaldson on the DL. Teoscar Hernandez called up.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Nice comeback win for them last night. Clevinger was going early....was worried for a bit.

Hope that they can find room to keep Teoscar up

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Teoscar was a beauty last night too!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Are we going to get another PPD snow day??

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Are we going to get another PPD snow day??
    Yep cancelled again.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Yep cancelled again.
    Dome's are the answer. Simple really, but yeah, the game is better with all of the natural elements. Unfortunately, they can't play in most of those elements. Maybe some day.

A whole weekend without Jays baseball?? Thank goodness for the NHL playoffs!!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    A whole weekend without Jays baseball?? Thank goodness for the NHL playoffs!!
    Im in serious withdrawal. And really hate that my fantasy teams are taking such a hit. Jays, Yankees, Indians and Tigers have not played.