Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who gets voted off the Island - and who gets PP1 time

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Who gets voted off the Island - and who gets PP1 time

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I only asked because there had been some (unreliable) buzz regarding Edmonton showing interest. They absolutely could use a guy like him for their second line but I don't know what assets they could move to get the deal done/ A guy like Petry perhaps, but I don't see him as good enough to warrantthe Islanders moving Nielsen, who is really solid at everything.
    nielsen is weak at faceoffs - he had a knack for winning some by cheating a certain way but they implemented some rules that prevent him from using that strategy.

otherwise he's the islanders swiss army knife guy

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    As for about Hamonic, I agree he'll be on PP2 most of the time next year, but I still think he has the potential to be a solid multicat guy with some good offensive upside. Given your scoring stats, I think he's worth keeping.
    100% agree. In evaluating Hamonic, people are focusing way too much on whether his PP TOI will be eaten away by the 4-fwd thing and other dmen (DeHaan,Visno, etc.). But look at those categories, hits, blocked shots and PIMs are there, so Hamonic's value increases, and of the other scoring categories you have it heavily weighted in favor of ES points (G, A, Pts and THEN PP pts). And I'm of the mind that with the ice time Hamonic will get (top pairing), he will put up solid even strength numbers, I think he is a candidate to finally hit 40+ pts this year. And I'm not so sure Hamonic won't be relied upon for PP duty, he's got a bomb of a point shot after all and not afraid to shoot the puck. So with all that in mind, I'd favor keeping Hamonic big time in your format. The only risk is the concussion history.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    100% agree. In evaluating Hamonic, people are focusing way too much on whether his PP TOI will be eaten away by the 4-fwd thing and other dmen (DeHaan,Visno, etc.). But look at those categories, hits, blocked shots and PIMs are there, so Hamonic's value increases, and of the other scoring categories you have it heavily weighted in favor of ES points (G, A, Pts and THEN PP pts). And I'm of the mind that with the ice time Hamonic will get (top pairing), he will put up solid even strength numbers, I think he is a candidate to finally hit 40+ pts this year. And I'm not so sure Hamonic won't be relied upon for PP duty, he's got a bomb of a point shot after all and not afraid to shoot the puck. So with all that in mind, I'd favor keeping Hamonic big time in your format. The only risk is the concussion history.
    he cant hit the net with his one timers - he shoots it into the shot blocking pk'ers shin pads or misses the net entirely .

agree with you that he'll put up up some 5 on 5 points but not in the 40 point + range --likely 28 -32 'ish

knowing the isles , they'll try and milk Brennans shot on the PP

Banned

I see 30 points as a more realistic goal for Hamonic too. I don't think he will ever sniff 40, he just doesn't have a lot of vision/offense in his game. I hope Brennan isn't on the team... it really doesn't make a lot of sense. He belongs in the AhL, with Conacher... meaning they will probably both be given important roles with the Isles.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    I see 30 points as a more realistic goal for Hamonic too. I don't think he will ever sniff 40, he just doesn't have a lot of vision/offense in his game. I hope Brennan isn't on the team... it really doesn't make a lot of sense. He belongs in the AhL, with Conacher... meaning they will probably both be given important roles with the Isles.
    they both have one way deals so my guess is they are islanders on opening night , not sound tigers.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    he cant hit the net with his one timers - he shoots it into the shot blocking pk'ers shin pads or misses the net entirely .

agree with you that he'll put up up some 5 on 5 points but not in the 40 point + range --likely 28 -32 'ish

knowing the isles , they'll try and milk Brennans shot on the PP

He definitely needs to improve his shot accuracy. Remember the same was said of Letang - he missed both one timers and static slappers from the point often, worked on that consistently that one summer, and blammo he beats out Goligoski for the PP1 shooter spot and the rest is history. I'm not comparing Hamonic to Letang, don't get me wrong, Hamonic doesn't have nearly the elite offensive capability - but I still firmly believe he has what it takes to hit 40+ as soon as this year. We'll come back to this thread in April!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    He definitely needs to improve his shot accuracy. Remember the same was said of Letang - he missed both one timers and static slappers from the point often, worked on that consistently that one summer, and blammo he beats out Goligoski for the PP1 shooter spot and the rest is history. I'm not comparing Hamonic to Letang, don't get me wrong, Hamonic doesn't have nearly the elite offensive capability - but I still firmly believe he has what it takes to hit 40+ as soon as this year. We'll come back to this thread in April!
    I liked his passing during his sophmore season when given some offensive moments and he does have the right hand shot .

trust me , I'd love to be proven wrong

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    they both have one way deals so my guess is they are islanders on opening night , not sound tigers.
    i don't think it is certain, especially with conacher. The Isles have too many cpntracts right now and these two signings seem like a step backwards.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I feel next season(2015/16) we are going are going to be able to start this thread all over again..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    i don't think it is certain, especially with conacher. The Isles have too many cpntracts right now and these two signings seem like a step backwards.
    conacher might beat someone like colin mcdonald out for a roster spot and of course theres the rumour snow is shopping Bailey/Grabner

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I feel next season(2015/16) we are going are going to be able to start this thread all over again..
    God I hope not. If one of the kids don't step up or if Snow doesn't get his trade, it's going to be a long season.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    God I hope not. If one of the kids don't step up or if Snow doesn't get his trade, it's going to be a long season.
    Replace Snow with Lowe and you've just summed up the past half decade as an Oiler fan (and still counting). I feel your pain!