Poll: Guy with the most time on his hands goes to?

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobretti Millenium Falcon Fluff Cup

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Race to a Millenium! Doulos vs Pengwin

It's all for good fun regardless of the fluff. It's the dog days of summer and any activity is better than none. The quality is still there when it's needed but this at least helps time pass by faster while we all wait for the season.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Way to crash the party Debbie Downer! I've read most of their comments over the past week+ and have seen nothing but solid responses. You might disagree or find otherwise, but that's fine. You're entitled to your thoughts.
    They were tied a second ago. Love it.
    If that's what you value then knock yourself out.
    From my perspective I've been reading these forums for years and the one thing I've noted is the decline in quality and the increase in fluff posts. I see this kind of thing as contributing to that so I wanted to voice my opinion.

Carry on

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

You two are absolute studs around here!! Good for you guys to go through with this agreement..

Prediction: I think a really great guy is going to finish first, and an equally solid dude will finish 2nd..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti View Post
    Maybe someone can explain to me why this is supposed to be a good thing?
    All that happens is that when quantity goes way up, quality goes way down, so rather than making 100 valuable and helpful posts in a month all you're doing is making 1000 poor quality posts just to hit some magic number that has no reward and no real world value.

Seems childish and foolish to me but don't let me stop you!

A fair enough perspective. I'll give you mine.

I was super active on these forums for a few years, and then the past couple not as much. My interest in fantasy hockey waned a bit. However, I have responded to more fantasy hockey queries, and done more research this past month, than I can remember doing in a long, long time. I'm having a lot of fun with it all again, and I've even seen an increase in my fantasy hockey transactions and interest the past 6 months as well. This posting thing has certainly contributed a few extra "fluff" posts, there's no denying that. On the flip side, I've contributed WAY more to actual fantasy hockey questions and discussions overall. It's a net push in the fantasy hockey direction overall for me personally - I can't speak for anyone else.

You're right, there is a danger of this becoming some sort of infantile 'Write a line about nothing, rinse, and repeat 1000 times' type scenario, but that's not at all what it has been so far from what I can tell.

The truth is none of what we do in this universe has any actual real reward or value, but what we give it. We're all going to be rotting at some point and eventually it'll all end in some sort of heat death where the entire universe will cease to exist as we know it. So each of us plugs along in whatever we see fit to contribute to this world. Hopefully along the way we can enjoy each other's company, have a little fun, watch some hockey, spend time with the people we want to spend time with, and feel like we've created our own meaning and purpose in a universe that ultimately has none. I know I'm enjoying this process, whether there are 1000 posts, or 10. Hopefully you can too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    A fair enough perspective. I'll give you mine.

I was super active on these forums for a few years, and then the past couple not as much. My interest in fantasy hockey waned a bit. However, I have responded to more fantasy hockey queries, and done more research this past month, than I can remember doing in a long, long time. I'm having a lot of fun with it all again, and I've even seen an increase in my fantasy hockey transactions and interest the past 6 months as well. This posting thing has certainly contributed a few extra "fluff" posts, there's no denying that. On the flip side, I've contributed WAY more to actual fantasy hockey questions and discussions overall. It's a net push in the fantasy hockey direction overall for me personally - I can't speak for anyone else.

You're right, there is a danger of this becoming some sort of infantile 'Write a line about nothing, rinse, and repeat 1000 times' type scenario, but that's not at all what it has been so far from what I can tell.

The truth is none of what we do in this universe has any actual real reward or value, but what we give it. We're all going to be rotting at some point and eventually it'll all end in some sort of heat death where the entire universe will cease to exist as we know it. So each of us plugs along in whatever we see fit to contribute to this world. Hopefully along the way we can enjoy each other's company, have a little fun, watch some hockey, spend time with the people we want to spend time with, and feel like we've created our own meaning and purpose in a universe that ultimately has none. I know I'm enjoying this process, whether there are 1000 posts, or 10. Hopefully you can too.
    Well said! And I wasn't directing my comments specifically at you or anything, I agree you usually have some good advice to offer, it's just an overall pattern I noticed in the last couple years, more fluff than substance. Keep up the quality and I'm a happy boy

I...am your father.

Maybe someone can explain to me why this is supposed to be a good thing?
    All that happens is that when quantity goes way up, quality goes way down, so rather than making 100 valuable and helpful posts in a month all you're doing is making 1000 poor quality posts just to hit some magic number that has no reward and no real world value.

Seems childish and foolish to me but don't let me stop you!

I'll explain.

If it's in the lounge, then that is what the lounge is for. If you define quality by hockey advice, then I invite you to go to the hockey advice areas (Keeper League Forward Discussion, Defensemen, Goalie, etc.) or the General Hockey Chat or the Prospect area. But in the Lounge, come on. The Lounge is our online pretend pub. Lots of chatter with no minimum word limits. Padding the post count is fine here, because we're all friends just talking over a beer. In the lounge we try to create a friendly environment. If one of a person's 1000 posts is just 'fluff' in the lounge, let's not hold it against the person.

Now let's hold hands and sing.

The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I'll explain.

If it's in the lounge, then that is what the lounge is for. If you define quality by hockey advice, then I invite you to go to the hockey advice areas (Keeper League Forward Discussion, Defensemen, Goalie, etc.) or the General Hockey Chat or the Prospect area. But in the Lounge, come on. The Lounge is our online pretend pub. Lots of chatter with no minimum word limits. Padding the post count is fine here, because we're all friends just talking over a beer. In the lounge we try to create a friendly environment. If one of a person's 1000 posts is just 'fluff' in the lounge, let's not hold it against the person.
    Ironic actually because the other thread was asking "How people use the forums". Did you note the majority of responses? Lots of people click the "New Posts" button to see what is trending. How do you think that appears when 90% of it is "Yayyyyyy look at me get 1000 posts in a week!" or "Congrats on another 1K of fluff, yayyyy to us all" or even "Here's 10 straight links straight from today's TSN site"?

Why don't you have 2 buttons at the top:

Button 1: New Hockey-Related Posts
    Button 2: New Circlejerk Posts

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Ironic actually because the other thread was asking "How people use the forums". Did you note the majority of responses? Lots of people click the "New Posts" button to see what is trending. How do you think that appears when 90% of it is "Yayyyyyy look at me get 1000 posts in a week!" or "Congrats on another 1K of fluff, yayyyy to us all" or even "Here's 10 straight links straight from today's TSN site"?

I believe you can click ignore on specific sections? No? Dobber help me on this? I think the majority of posters don't mind seeing the lounge stuff, so maybe you can just ignore the Lounge section and that can ease your over-stressed little soul?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Yes, the site has some great features for streamlining what you want to see.
    People can ignore other users (such as me, which I'd understand) if they want.
    (Posted for honest-to-goodness advice so that some users don't have to read comments they don't wish to read.)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Yup, you can tailor the website to suit you.
    People can ignore other users, such as me, if they want.
    (Posted for honest-to-goodness advice so that some users don't have to read my stuff if they don't care for it.)
    ERRONEUS FLUFF. CURSES YOU PENGWIN AND YOUR HEAL-RUNNING STYLE

Dobber Sports Star

I think members are enjoying this or they don't mind it at all. It's all for fun, what it's suppose to be.

I...am your father.

This is true, you make a good point. But a post like this would only sit on Page 1 of New Posts for about 2 or 3 hours. It depends on if anyone begins a discussion about the uselessness of the thread or not, in which case it could extend the presence on the first page of New Posts by another 3 or 4 hours.

However, you can go to your profile settings and hide the Lounge from the New Posts option. Then it would just leave you with hockey, baseball, etc.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I believe you can click ignore on specific sections? No? Dobber help me on this? I think the majority of posters don't mind seeing the lounge stuff, so maybe you can just ignore the Lounge section and that can ease your over-stressed little soul?
    I use this feature as I don't want to see baseball nor football.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I know, you called me dumb and provided me with a negative reputation. But how about reading until the end of a line in the "New Posts" section? There you'll find the corresponding area. But I guess that is too profane for you, the last knowledgeable man standing.

Dobber Sports Deity

I hope this one wasn't directed at me for sharing updated hockey news on here. I rarely use TSN. I prefer twitter.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."