Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How The Flyers Stack Up Against The Pens

Banned

Default Re: How The Flyers Stack Up Against The Pens

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I've never totally understood the whole left handed player playing on the left side thing. I'm obviously not an NHL caliber defenseman, but I'm right handed and prefer playing on the left. I look at it this way. As a more offensive guy, my stick is in the middle of the ice in the offensive zone. If anything, this should be an advantage for a guy like Letang. In terms of playing actual defense, if a guy tries to go wide on me, my stick is on the outside (top hand is my left hand, to the outside) and if the guy gets around me, it is easier to pivot and reach and cut off his lane to the net. If he tries to get to the inside, my free hand (and stronger hand) is available to give them a push back to the outside. Clearing the puck, I am on my forehand shot to put it off the closest glass. Anyways, clearly I'm wrong, but I heavily prefer playing on my off side.
    easier and more efficient to control puck along the boards on your forehand than to have to switch to backhand. Gonchar does this well though.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I've never totally understood the whole left handed player playing on the left side thing. I'm obviously not an NHL caliber defenseman, but I'm right handed and prefer playing on the left. I look at it this way. As a more offensive guy, my stick is in the middle of the ice in the offensive zone. If anything, this should be an advantage for a guy like Letang. In terms of playing actual defense, if a guy tries to go wide on me, my stick is on the outside (top hand is my left hand, to the outside) and if the guy gets around me, it is easier to pivot and reach and cut off his lane to the net. If he tries to get to the inside, my free hand (and stronger hand) is available to give them a push back to the outside. Clearing the puck, I am on my forehand shot to put it off the closest glass. Anyways, clearly I'm wrong, but I heavily prefer playing on my off side.
    I've played defense most of my life.
    It is typically strength of having your stick-blade on the wall (boards), looking up ice.

In the defensive zone, if you get the puck on your blade as a Rightie, in the Right end, your body protects any approaching opponent.
    In the offensive zone, again, your blade is on the wall... so any puck cleared on the ice up the boards is onto the stick blade.
    (Actually, if you imagine a "Leftie", playing the right side... imagine him trying to keep a hardshot puck in the offensive zone on his backhand. Very difficult and his eyes would NOT be able to see players, he'd be looking directly into the boards.)

Defenseman are most vulnerable where there is no help (the boards).
    They have help to the middle-ice.

These are the main reasons why lefties play the left and righties play the right.

[Note: This does not apply to wingers... but some people do believe that RH shooters should play the right-wing. Nope.]

A good article from last summer about Weber, Seth Jones, and stickside:
    http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/9...-defense-pairs

Banned

it may not apply but i'd say more the majority of wingers play the same side they shoot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    it may not apply but i'd say more the majority of wingers play the same side they shoot
    True.
    That's how most minor hockey coaches start kids off.
    They do put the RH players on the right side.
    This is mostly for two reasons:
    1) So that a kid can carry the puck up ice and protect it along the wall (boards).
    2) Wingers are supposed to return defensively on the boards (where the opposing defense would be) and then "curl" back up ice once their D gains control.

This puts their vision & stickside to open ice to receive a pass.

Then... over time, that becomes the players' natural side.

But, in the NHL, there is some value in playing the off-wing, because the shooting lanes are better for a LH player on the right side.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I've played defense most of my life.
    It is typically strength of having your stick-blade on the wall (boards), looking up ice.

In the defensive zone, if you get the puck on your blade as a Rightie, in the Right end, your body protects any approaching opponent.
    In the offensive zone, again, your blade is on the wall... so any puck cleared on the ice up the boards is onto the stick blade.
    (Actually, if you imagine a "Leftie", playing the right side... imagine him trying to keep a hardshot puck in the offensive zone on his backhand. Very difficult and his eyes would NOT be able to see players, he'd be looking directly into the boards.)

Defenseman are most vulnerable where there is no help (the boards).
    They have help to the middle-ice.

These are the main reasons why lefties play the left and righties play the right.

[Note: This does not apply to wingers... but some people do believe that RH shooters should play the right-wing. Nope.]

A good article from last summer about Weber, Seth Jones, and stickside:
    http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/9...-defense-pairs
    I've always wondered this too - fantastic explanation!
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!