Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Next Captain For Columbus: 5 Concrete Choices

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default The Next Captain For Columbus: 5 Concrete Choices

In search of a new captain since trading Rick Nash, here are 5 candidates that will certainly warrant consideration. Do you agree? If not, who do you feel should be named the Jackets' new captain?

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next...crete-choices/

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: The Next Captain For Columbus: 5 Concrete Choices

I like Johansen. A lot of young captains in the league, who have done well for themselves. Also I wonder how much a letter helps in contract negotiations. I just think of JT, and whether being the captain and hoping for better teammates with freed up money.

Also like Dubinsky. He seems like a good character to have in the locker room and the ice.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Administrator

My pick is Dubinsky. He brings a lot to the table and sets a good example. Johansen is good but I think I would prefer protecting him from the 'C' and let someone else take that responsibility.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

We can all assume who it may be, but none of us really know what goes on in the dressing room and who the real leaders are on this team.

This is an up and coming team who needs someone who is experienced and not afraid to show his true colors when the team needs to hear it the most. Just because they score a lot of points doesn't always equate to being a true leader.

I love RyJo just as much as the next guy, but I don't think he needs the added pressure of being the Captain of this team. Plus he really just started showing his on ice abilities this year. No where near the experience needed to be a Captain.

Thats also why I think when guys like Landeskog being named Captain over more experienced guys in that locker room is crazy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    We can all assume who it may be, but none of us really know what goes on in the dressing room and who the real leaders are on this team.

This is an up and coming team who needs someone who is experienced and not afraid to show his true colors when the team needs to hear it the most. Just because they score a lot of points doesn't always equate to being a true leader.

I love RyJo just as much as the next guy, but I don't think he needs the added pressure of being the Captain of this team. Plus he really just started showing his on ice abilities this year. No where near the experience needed to be a Captain.

Thats also why I think when guys like Landeskog being named Captain over more experienced guys in that locker room is crazy.
    I lean in the direction with agreeing with you, Axeman. Unfortunately, giving the "C" to green studs is becoming the trend in the league. I say "unfortunately" for the sole reason that I personally believe it should be an earned role, not one that comes with projections. The results, however, have been surprisingly positive for teams who are doing this. Crosby & Toews were handed the reigns before they could earn enough points at the 5-star hotels the teams stay in. And in the case of Landeskog, the Avs are obviously heading in the right direction.

I think Johansen is a touch different, though. Yes, he's really young. But he's also entering his 4th season. He's the best of both worlds for the Jackets.

Dobber Sports Monster

Ryan Johansen is still learning the NHL game himself, not sure that he can be a captain at the same time he's learning how to be a pro " on the job"

The "C" in Columbus should belong to Brandon Dubinsky or James Wisniewski. both leaders, have experience, been through the grinds, etc. and I'd be willing to bet they have a strong voice in that young locker room.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

dubisnky for sure. no need to put unnecessary pressure on johansen.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Here's an editor's tip for you: Learn when to use hyphens and, more importantly, when not to.

Career-high, nope. Career high.

This is something that I see here on Dobberhockey and in many other places as well: Hyphens being used close to every time age is mentioned. It drives me absolutely nuts.

"After all, Dubinsky thrived on America’s biggest stage for six-years" Nope, for six years.

"At just 21-years of age, Ryan Johansen" Nope, at 21 years of age.

Those are not used as adjectives and should therefore not be hyphenated.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Here's an editor's tip for you: Learn when to use hyphens and, more importantly, when not to.

This is something that I see here on Dobberhockey and in many other places as well: Hyphens being used close to every time age is mentioned. It drives me absolutely nuts.

"After all, Dubinsky thrived on America’s biggest stage for six-years" Nope, for six years.

Thank you. So many of THW articles are painful to read. I don't know if they are ever edited.

As for the captain discussion, they should use 3 A's for another year or two, at which time I think Boone Jenner would make a perfect captain.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post

Very much appreciated. I'm always looking to improve. You can't improve without criticism.

Dobber Sports Ace

Dubinsky sounds good. But what about Nathan Horton. Most senior member i believe. And has won a cup.

I'm sure Ryan Johansen gets it though.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Thank you. So many of THW articles are painful to read. I don't know if they are ever edited.

As for the captain discussion, they should use 3 A's for another year or two, at which time I think Boone Jenner would make a perfect captain.
    Painful to read? LOL I don't think I comb through the articles I read online with a fine grammar brush.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Master

I would be afraid to give it to Johansen as he may regress due to the pressure of being the official leader in the locker room. I do believe he will get the honour though.
    I personally like Jack Johnson as captain as he is signed through until 2018, needn't worry about the added pressure hurting his offensive output as he isn't counted on to add that much scoring to the team, and he seems to be well respected and liked by Columbus fans. At 27 years old, he certainly has the maturity too.
    I kind of Horton as captain too, but he has only been in Clb for one season. Yes, he is slated to spend several more there, but he hasn't done the time there yet.
    I would still choose Johnson as captain.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I would be afraid to give it to Johansen as he may regress due to the pressure of being the official leader in the locker room. I do believe he will get the honour though.
    I personally like Jack Johnson as captain as he is signed through until 2018, needn't worry about the added pressure hurting his offensive output as he isn't counted on to add that much scoring to the team, and he seems to be well respected and liked by Columbus fans. At 27 years old, he certainly has the maturity too.
    I kind of Horton as captain too, but he has only been in Clb for one season. Yes, he is slated to spend several more there, but he hasn't done the time there yet.
    I would still choose Johnson as captain.
    Very good points, although I didn't include Jack Johnson because Wisniewski stands as the better candidate (IMO). Taking the gamble on Johansen would be less of a gamble, per se, than the Blackhawks took with Jonathan Toews. Johansen has more experience than most 3-year veterans.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Scott hartnell