Thread: #2 pick for #6 pick+

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default #2 pick for #6 pick+

Currently holding the #2 overall pick in our 2014 entry draft.

I can either hold onto the pick and draft the Sam that didn't get drafted at #1.

Or I could trade the pick down a few spots. Let's say I would trade down to #6, what extra compensation would I be looking for?

Our cats are G,A,STP,SOG,Tk and FOW.

Or would you simply not trade down at all...?

The Great One

Default Re: #2 pick for #6 pick+

With three categories related to points, one on shots, and one on FOW....it would be nice to have a potential 1C center to draft. Unfortunately, by the 6th pick, I'm not sure you'll find Draisaitl, Nylander or either Sam on the board. If I'm trading down, I generally don't think I'd want to go any lower than 4th overall.

It's hard to answer what compensation would be required to move down to 6th, due to the vagueness of your question. I have no idea if you are a competitive or rebuilding team, nor do I know if you can a minors system to protect players, etc.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    With three categories related to points, one on shots, and one on FOW....it would be nice to have a potential 1C center to draft. Unfortunately, by the 6th pick, I'm not sure you'll find Draisaitl, Nylander or either Sam on the board. If I'm trading down, I generally don't think I'd want to go any lower than 4th overall.

It's hard to answer what compensation would be required to move down to 6th, due to the vagueness of your question. I have no idea if you are a competitive or rebuilding team, nor do I know if you can a minors system to protect players, etc.
    Thanks for your reply. I have a competitive team and we do have a large minor squad in which we can stash players until they reach 160 games.

Let's say Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Nylander, Draisaitl are off the board. That means I could draft Dal Colle at 6.

How big is the difference between Dal Colle and let's say Bennett to consider a trade?

Should I really keep Bennett, or should I look at Dal Colle + 2014 #12th overall pick. Or a 2015 1st (let's say anywhere in the top 15)?
    Or maybe a top 10 prospect from Dobber's rankings?

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think i would keep the #2 pick, if I got 2 in the top 10 then I would look at pulling the trigger. Would rather have the higher pick, more value for future trade as the will probably be in the show sooner.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't think I would trade down in this year's draft, but I would consider moving the pick for a first rounder in next year's draft. That would give you two first round picks to move up with in a good draft year. But trading down from a top 3 pick is seldom a good move.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Batigol2k View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I have a competitive team and we do have a large minor squad in which we can stash players until they reach 160 games.

Let's say Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Nylander, Draisaitl are off the board. That means I could draft Dal Colle at 6.

How big is the difference between Dal Colle and let's say Bennett to consider a trade?

Should I really keep Bennett, or should I look at Dal Colle + 2014 #12th overall pick. Or a 2015 1st (let's say anywhere in the top 15)?
    Or maybe a top 10 prospect from Dobber's rankings?
    In your settings, I'm rather take a 1C with the 2nd overall pick than have Dal Colle and the 12th pick.

Re: 2015 draft...by anywhere, do you mean that you have a lottery that is totally random?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I don't think I would trade down in this year's draft, but I would consider moving the pick for a first rounder in next year's draft. That would give you two first round picks to move up with in a good draft year. But trading down from a top 3 pick is seldom a good move.
    He's back..........

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I will hang onto the #2 pick for now.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    In your settings, I'm rather take a 1C with the 2nd overall pick than have Dal Colle and the 12th pick.

Re: 2015 draft...by anywhere, do you mean that you have a lottery that is totally random?
    No it is not random, but looking at the guy's team I can see him finishing anywhere in the bottom 5-15 with a small chance to win the lottery for #1 overall.