Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: asoIaF/Game of Thrones Book Discussion: (Spoilers/Theories Welcome)

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: asoIaF/Game of Thrones Book Discussion: (Spoilers/Theories Welcome)

Let's not forget about Victarion and his dragon-horn. That has game breaking ability
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Immortal

Im not even sure theyre going to introduce the Greyjoys at all. Based on the casting rumours for season 5 it's a lot of people from the Martell storyline in Feast.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I thought I saw someone cast as Victarion in one of those casting rumor pages.

I'm really not sure how the Greyjoys are going to play into things....Victarion is at Meereen, but Daenerys has no reason to listen to him or go with him, and Euron has the dragon horn....which no one alive knows how to use anyway.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Genius

What was the deal with the Dragon Horn anyway?
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Star

Interesting that the show potentially offered a "spoiler" to the books this season with the Night King slip. It'll be a bit more common going forward with the producers knowing how GRRM intends to end the story even though the books haven't been written yet. Tough to know if this is the first of many times to come when the show advances as storyline more than the books have yet, or just a slip/error.

Given the importance of the Night King in the past and the stories around the NW, it sure makes for an interesting wrinkle... especially if he was a Stark.

Dobber Sports Guru

It will be interesting to see how the show and books diverge. I read the below the other day and it sheds some light on the issue. (from - http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/18...st-season-yet/ )

Benioss and Weiss admit that after finishing a season they start to get nervous about the next. After Season 3 it would seem hard to top the Red Wedding, but their nerves evaporated as they got further into the development of Season 4. They say that they’re experiencing the same feelings now, as they delve deeper into Season 5. “For season 5, again, the fear started to dissipate when we outlined it and realized how much story we had to tell. Now that we’re nearly finished with the first drafts of each episode, we see no reason why the coming season shouldn’t be the strongest yet.”
    With some characters on the television adaptation having already reached the end of their so-far published storyline, many are wondering how far the fifth season will extend into the two remaining books, and if the television series will continue to diverge from Martin’s written work.
    Benioff and Weiss reveal, “We have talked to George extensively about where he’s going with the books, and will continue to do so. His books are the blueprint for the world we’re building. Ultimately the show needs to work on its own terms, and keep on moving. Our job is to square that necessity with George’s work to the best of our ability.
    We’re not going in strict order because we can’t. We can’t adapt Feast and leave out half our characters. We’ll be drawing heavily from Feast and Dance in season 5.”
    So what exactly can we expect in Season 5?
    For one, Dorne. “There will be Dorne, and we’re excited about it. Who wouldn’t want to hang out in Dorne? They have admirable values and priorities. And have you seen Oberyn’s coat?”
    We’ll also find out what Varys’ next move will be, after the bells made for a change in plans. “Early in the season, when speaking with Tyrion, Varys claims to be concerned primarily with self preservation. At the end of the season, though, his actions prove otherwise. He throws away the entire life he’s built for himself in King’s Landing to save Tyrion’s life. Now what? … “Now what?” will become eminently clear in season 5.”
    And the fantasy aspect won’t be diminished any time soon. “The dragons aren’t getting any smaller. Melisandre’s still sorceressing, the giants are more pissed than ever, and Jaime’s almost done building his jetpack. So… yeah, the fantasy’s not going away. It is a fantasy show.”
    They confirm that 7 seasons is still the plan, and that the end to George’s saga is absolutely, 100 percent satisfying. Now that they have passed the halfway point in their storytelling, they’ve started looking towards that end. Benioff says, “I feel we have so many conversations about later seasons. And this year we’ve started talking about the very end… We want this to work.”

Dobber Sports Immortal

Read today that the actor who played Jaqen is returning for S5. Im totally prepared for everyone to ignore that he changed his face at the end of S2. The comments (and my initial thoughts) would be that maybe he replaces the book character of the Kindly Man in Bravos....but now the more I think about it...even thought I really don't want the show to pass the books...if the season opens with Jaqen killing Pate in Oldtown...that would mean him being there serves a major purpose

Here is the link

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/23...ones-season-5/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The show is going to start fizzling.
    Modern day TV shows with an end-game have a shelf-life of a maximum of 7 seasons.
    GRRM is churning out a maximum of one book in the next three years, unless he starts popping author-******.

This means that the TV show will have to have some alternate ending that is completely different from the show.
    I'll still watch... but it's going to be a great source of frustration if/when the story diverges strongly.

It would make me really sad if GRRM allows his ending to be portrayed in the shows prior to the books.

As for Jaqen, it IS very interesting.
    The one thing that TV shows can/must do that books can not is to give the viewer a verification of the "same person" playing two different roles.

i.e. Varys as Varys & Varys as jailer.
    He could exist in two roles, except that we as viewers would know the difference through TV show.

It would stink to have Jaqen verified at Oldtown.
    But, I believe... among the bookreaders... it is known (anyways).

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm not sure the Sam to Oldtown storyline is going to be anything major. At least, nothing the show couldn't use some maesters to tell the same story. So I wonder if Oldtown will be bypassed completely, not sure what happens with Sam at that point, though. The show is just running out of time to get that new storyline started, especially since they still have to elect Jon Snow as Lord Commander, as well as move the Stannis story forward a bit before Sam can leave.

I just don't see how they finish this show in 7 seasons. It's going to HAVE to be longer than that, or the last 4 books (from Feast to the end), which are supposed to be the meat of the story, are going to be rushed to the point of being meaningless. Capping things at 7 seasons is going to ruin the show. I understand staying relevant is hard beyond that length, but they'll have to find a way or they might as well just cancel the series now. AFFC and ADWD need at least one season each, you'd have to think the same of TWOW and ADOS....that brings it to 8 seasons right there. Now if you want a little more depth going into the penultimate books of the series, that's probably two seasons based on each of the last two books. There's 10 seasons. And realistically with everything that goes on in AFFC and ADWD, those should get two seasons each....there's 12 seasons.

Or maybe they expand the length of the seasons? Go from 10 episodes to 16 or even 20?
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This thread hasn't had much action in a while but I figured this question is best asked here ...

Are all the Dunc and egg novellas only available through graphic novel? Have been trying to find the set but the only things I can find are either the graphic novel version or the used novellas for $75 plus. Prefer the book style but not at that price ... Any info would be greatly appreciated

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    Are all the Dunc and egg novellas only available through graphic novel?
    Send me a PM with your mailing address.
    I have all three on "Kindle", if you know somebody with that type of reader.
    I can put them on a small flash drive and send to you.
    Perhaps the "file type" will work on other tablets/readers, I don't know.
    But my wife has book-club-ish friends that have/share an absolute ton of books issued between 2000-2010... and I've read all three of the Dunk & Egg novellas on her Kindle.

The first story in the Dunk & Egg is possibly the best.
    There is some connection to one main-storyline-character that can be extracted (if you are sharp).
    Also, the first story helps explains some of the separation in the Targaryen brothers back then, which set up for an internal rebellion later.
    Altogether, there is some good trickle-down from those past events to the current GoT/asoiaf Timelines... good for establishing character traits... perhaps/especially the dynamic between Rhaegar/olderTargs... if you are into that.

(I'm still plodding through book 5... Dance with Dragons. The 4th book, Feast for Crows, wore me down a bit. Definitely the worst of the five.)

Dobber Sports Wizard

The next book needs to hurry up and come out. I was messing around on sporcle yesterday and decided to do some GoT quizzes....I'm forgetting a lot of stuff. I used to know every little detail, and now I'm forgetting stuff I shouldn't be. I guess I need to go spend some time on the wiki.

Dobber Sports Stud

Huge fan and I have a lot of theories. ill share them sometime.

Just fed up with Waiting for GRRM to write. Reading his blog is disheartening given he has updates like "I wrote 2 pages today. Most I have written in 3 months. off to sign autographs"

I know GRRM is not my Biatch, but he fell in love with his own fame and spends more time enjoying his fame than anything since 2005
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G