Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NHL Draft Q & A [Dean Youngblood]

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: 2014 NHL Draft Q & A [Dean Youngblood]

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Fantasy wise, how would you compare the top 5 this year to the past few years? How about the top 10?
    The 2014 crop lacks the MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov so the top 5 isn't nearly as strong. It's lacking the "superstar" potential players but with Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie and Kapanen, I think there's potential for stars to emerge. Everything isn't quite as certain with this draft class' long-term projections.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by joee View Post
    If the top 5-10 players which do you think will make their club right away?
    Aaron Ekblad for sure. Nick Ritchie may have an opportunity depending on where he lands because he's already been in the OHL for quite some time. Bennett, Draisaitl and Dal Colle would surprise me if they stuck with their clubs this season. Probably better served playing another year. Sam Reinhart could likely play as a 3rd line player but one more season of CHL hockey would truly help his development.

I don't expect as many to step directly into NHL lineups as the past few years but Ekblad and Ritchie are two that have a good chance.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Of the first round guys, who's going to be the surprise steal of this draft?
    Eight months ago I was pushing hard for Robby Fabbri and Nikolay Goldobin when few weren't. Everyone is on the Fabbri now that he's emerged. I

The term "steal" is a bit misleading since it usually refers to late round players but this draft is full of smaller skilled forwards and if teams are looking to get a "steal" then it's the year to swing for the fences. Goldobin is still one of, if not the most, skilled forwards in this draft. I don't think he gets enough credit from mainstream media for how good he actually was on a bad Sting team. I would say he has steal potential. Ditto if Fabbri falls due tohis small size (which is conceivable).

Players with red flags attached to them could end up as steals too - Josh Ho-Sang and Anthony DeAngelo, as both are extremely talented.

Kevin Fiala is a bit of a wild card but watch for him.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    hey dean thanks for doing this.

in my UHL league i have 5th overall pick, i know who i am targeting but you know these guys better than most.

i'm assuming bennet, reinhart and ekblad will be gone top 3. who are the next two best guys i should go after?

Skater Categories: G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, PIM, +/, SOG, Hits, Blks, FOW
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4 IR

Centers are generally valued higher than wingers because we count FOW. That being said I'm looking for the best available player offensively.
    It's not a year for defenseman at the top of the draft so stay away from them.

Valueing centers more, I would say:

1. Sam Bennett
    2. Sam Reinhart
    3. Leon Draisaitl
    4. William Nylander (W)
    5. Nick Ritchie (W)

Ehlers, Dal Colle and Kapanen are fairly interchangeable with Ritchie for me. You will land someone skilled

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Hey Dean, I've got the 8th overall selection in a keeper points only league. Am I wrong to target Fiala instead of Virtanen, Ritchie, Kapanen, Fabbri... ?

Thanks for your help!
    I wouldn't say your "wrong" but based on general consensus, Fiala is expected to probably go after those guys so you may want to trade down if you want Fiala (I like him quite a bit too but not above those skaters).

Perceived value from your league members should always be considered

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    For fantasy purposes only...

1. Sam Bennett
    2. William Nylander
    3. Nikolaj Ehlers
    4. Leon Draisaitl
    5. Sam Reinhart
    6. Kasperi Kapanen
    7. Michael Dal Colle

It's not the order I would take them if I was behind an NHL GM desk but based on offensive potential, it's how I would rank them in our little fantasy world.

Notice, I gave you seven instead of six You're welcome.
    Thanks bud! Where do Laughton and Gaudreau fit in this group?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Veteran

Do any goalies in this years draft class stand out?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    Hey Dean, I have 4 of the top 7 picks in this years draft (3 top 6 lottery picks and 7th overall) and will be looking to use all of them on prospects as I am rebuilding and will be activating Nyquist, Yakupov, Coyle and Lehner this year. I was wondering who would be your top 10 players (forwards or D) from this years draft for a keeper league with the following stats: G, A, Pts, +/-, STP, SOG, PIMs. Also if Johnny Gaudreau was available would you draft him in the top 7 and if so where would he rank.

I appreciate the help.

Wow, 4 of the top 7 picks? For real? Have you thought about dealing those for the 2015 1st overall pick? Ahem, Connor McDavid Kidding aside, I would recommend the same top 7 picks as I did earlier for the above poster.

1. Sam Bennett
    2. William Nylander
    3. Nikolaj Ehlers
    4. Leon Draisaitl
    5. Sam Reinhart
    6. Kasperi Kapanen
    7. Michael Dal Colle

If you need a defenseman and Ekblad is there, you can always add a stellar dman as one of the four picks.

I do like Johnny Gaudreau but I think I would rank the above players slightly above him at this point.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rookien View Post
    I am from Denmark and was wondering how Nikolaj Ehlers is valued compared to other Danish prospects like Nicklas Jensen and Oliver Bjorkstrand. Is Ehlers the top dog of those to own ?

And where should he be picked in a fantasy draft top 5,10, 15?

Yes. Ehlers is the top dog among those three (all of which have promising futures).

At this point, I am confident to say he's a top 10 pick in the actual draft with an outside chance of sliding into the top 5. In fantasy circles, he's definitely in my top 5. Big fan of his offensive game.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Hey Dean, always love it when you open these up. many thanks.

I am curious about the goalies in this years draft. Who are the ones to keep an eye on and how late do you think they last on the draft board before we see some of them start to go?
    Thatcher Demko is the top goaltender and likely the only one to be considered in the opening round (just a guess though).

I am guessing goaltenders like Alex Nedeljkovic, Mason McDonald, Ville Husso and Kaapo Kahkonen will be targeted through the second/third rounds. Jonas Johansson is the next goalender on my list (similar landing spot as the trio above) while tenders like Brent Moran, Brandon Halverson, Edwin Minney and Linus Soderstrom could draw attention through the middle rounds (4-6th).

It's hard to predict draft slots with goaltenders because once one gets picked, a goaltender run usually starts.

I'm not overly confident analyzing goaltenders [they're a weird breed ] but from scouts I have talked to, the 2014 draft crop is a strong one for goaltenders.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Thanks bud! Where do Laughton and Gaudreau fit in this group?

1. Sam Bennett
    2. William Nylander
    3. Nikolaj Ehlers
    4. Leon Draisaitl
    5. Sam Reinhart
    6. Kasperi Kapanen
    7. Michael Dal Colle
    8. Scott Laughton - thinking he eventually gets assigned tough defensive minutes (like Couturier) so I worry about that
    9. Johnny Gaudreau - II want to see him at the pro level. Like his upside but its not above the upsides of these other prospects.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wow, 4 of the top 7 picks? For real? Have you thought about dealing those for the 2015 1st overall pick? Ahem, Connor McDavid Kidding aside, I would recommend the same top 7 picks as I did earlier for the above poster.

Thanks Dean. I already have 3 first rounders for the 2015 draft (including the pick for the team that finished last place this past year) and may try to move a vet like E. Staal for another pick but since there is a lottery to determine the draft order for the top 6 picks it would be a gamble to make a trade before the order is determined.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Do any goalies in this years draft class stand out?
    Love Demko. Liked Husso for last year's draft and he's getting the attention the second time around. Few goaltenders battle like Nedljkovic and his resume speaks for itself (but he is smaller). Mason McDonald is another one I like.

Scroll up a few posts as I talk about the tenders a bit there.

Dobber Sports Stud

1. Sam Bennett
    2. William Nylander
    3. Nikolaj Ehlers
    4. Leon Draisaitl
    5. Sam Reinhart
    6. Kasperi Kapanen
    7. Michael Dal Colle
    I like the order of this list in the top 5, but I'm curious, why Kapanen > Dal Colle?

I have the 6th pick in my league in my signature, would it be silly to take Virtanen or Ritchie at 6 over Kapanen or Dal Colle? Hits and Pims are my teams biggest need while i feel comfortable with my scoring going forward.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for doing this. Also, thanks to Pengwin for asking the question I ask in this thread every year, thus freeing me up to ask a different one!

In a multicat salary league I have four picks between 68 and 82. Any thoughts on guys worth picking in that range? Longshot offensive guys are good, but a good hit/block/PIM d-man would be fine too. Thanks!