Thread: Who Will Steve Mason's Backup Be? Flyers Have Options

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Who Will Steve Mason's Backup Be? Flyers Have Options

With Ray Emery's contract up, should the Flyers re-sign Emery, or look elsewhere for Steve Mason's understudy?

http://thehockeywriters.com/who-will...-have-options/

I...am your father.

Default Re: Who Will Steve Mason's Backup Be? Flyers Have Options

Nice analysis on Emery, Dubnyk and Peters. Didn't read the JSG part because last I heard, he was retiring - and if he isn't, he should. Stalock is the best available backup out there, but he's too good - may challenge Mason. So I wouldn't go there. Next up is Chad Johnson. If they can land him, he'd be a great No.2.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like the idea of Dubnyk, due to upside, experience, and ability to push Mason a little. That said, they both have a history of epic collapses. It would be scary to see them both fall apart at the same time.

Dobber Sports Ace

Why not go internal with Cal Heeter, he had an alright season with the Phantoms... Agree with Dobber though, Johnson would be a better fit
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Nice analysis on Emery, Dubnyk and Peters. Didn't read the JSG part because last I heard, he was retiring - and if he isn't, he should. Stalock is the best available backup out there, but he's too good - may challenge Mason. So I wouldn't go there. Next up is Chad Johnson. If they can land him, he'd be a great No.2.
    I appreciate the props, Dobber.

With rumors out of San Jose that the Sharks will be looking to trade Niemi, all signs point to Stalock not only being re-signed, but named the starter. Also, with no other viable option behind Tuukka Rask, I would be stunned if the Bruins didn't re-up with Chad Johnson. Those are the reasons why those 2 weren't included, but I definitely agree with your opinion..... outside of Giguere, of course

I...am your father.

JSG skated around with Selanne during the big retirement skate. How much more of a hint do we need? He's done!

All signs point to status quo. That's always the safe play. Never bank on 'he will get traded'. That's for Sharks. In saying that, I follow my own advice re: Bruins and agree that Johnson will re-up (i.e. status quo).

I own Stalock and would love him to be SJ's starter. Wouldn't bet a dime on it.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Why not go internal with Cal Heeter, he had an alright season with the Phantoms... Agree with Dobber though, Johnson would be a better fit

Heeter is poop, that's why.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Banned

They seem to be hitching their horse to Mason so I would guess they;d re-sign Emery?

Dobber Sports Deity

I think they sign the guy they can get at the best price with the highest skill. My guess is Emery.

From the looks of the musical chairs situation that is the NHL goaltending today, Emery would be smart to sign back on before he ends up on the outside looking in (more then likely the KHL again).
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think they sign the guy they can get at the best price with the highest skill. My guess is Emery.

From the looks of the musical chairs situation that is the NHL goaltending today, Emery would be smart to sign back on before he ends up on the outside looking in (more then likely the KHL again).
    While I agree with the consensus that Emery is one of, if not their best option, I have a hard time seeing him go to the KHL should the Flyers not bring him back. I've read that Toronto would show interest. With a handful of other teams in need of a backup, or anyone in general, I would imagine Emery would garner interest from a few teams other than Philly and Toronto.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    While I agree with the consensus that Emery is one of, if not their best option, I have a hard time seeing him go to the KHL should the Flyers not bring him back. I've read that Toronto would show interest. With a handful of other teams in need of a backup, or anyone in general, I would imagine Emery would garner interest from a few teams other than Philly and Toronto.
    There are plenty of backups looking for contracts this off-season too, not just starters. My point was he shouldn't be too choosy or he will find himself on the outside looking for a deal. He's not a starter and sometimes these guys tend to forget that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."