Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solar Freaking Roadways

Banned

Default Re: Solar Freaking Roadways

If we all left the middle east countries alone, and didn't have war. These roadways would be paid for in a matter of a few months - 5 or so years.

On the topic of alternative energy.

Wind & Solar energy is well and alive in Europe, but not so much in the oil countries of North America.

If you drove through Holland you would see a million of windmills.

Vehicles in Europe are much more fuel efficient than they are here. Sure gas is more expensive, but when you drive a 0.5 liter on the small side, or a 3.0 liter on the real big side you don't use 1 liter of fuel every 4-5 km of driving.
    There are MUCH more fuel efficient engines available, they just refuse to make vehicles here that are fuel efficient. Because its an oil revenue income stream for the government.

I sometimes feel the government wants us the remain "stupid",for lack of better word, about the possibilities in energy and preserving our planet.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    If we all left the middle east countries alone, and didn't have war. These roadways would be paid for in a matter of a few months - 5 or so years.

Wind & Solar energy is well and alive in Europe, but not so much in the oil countries of North America.

Vehicles in Europe are much more fuel efficient than they are here. Sure gas is more expensive, but when you drive a 0.5 liter on the small side, or a 3.0 liter on the real big side you don't use 1 liter of fuel every 4-5 km of driving.
    There are MUCH more fuel efficient engines available, they just refuse to make vehicles here that are fuel efficient. Because its an oil revenue income stream for the government.

I sometimes feel the government wants us the remain "stupid",for lack of better word, about the possibilities in energy and preserving our planet.
    We also don't have a collective hard-on for trucks here. Seriously, I will never ever understand why you North Americans are so goddamn obsessed with driving HUGE monster-like trucks.
    GO WINGS!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    We also don't have a collective hard-on for trucks here. Seriously, I will never ever understand why you North Americans are so goddamn obsessed with driving HUGE monster-like trucks.
    I don't get that either. The pickup trucks are in every driveway of small towns and farms, while the SUV's are in every city driveway. I have a mini-van myself, but we only use it for big trips with the kids..otherwise we wheel around in my cheap-on-gas little Yaris
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Wind energy is dying - it doesn't produce the electricity to make it worthwhile and not even windmill company propaganda can slow the negative press. I know in Germany, for example, they're shutting down/reversing policy. Canada is starting to change its stance as well.

Solar energy - now that's the way to go. And I think over time we'll be able to harness it even better

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Where I live they have built two huge wind farms up in Northern BC in the pas 10 years. It seems to be a good alternative way to generate electricity for specific geographical areas. So, I'm not entirely sure that wind energy is dying out, even in Canada. I do agree though, that it's not the long term answer.

There are lots of interesting ideas out there but until there is the public and political will to start really pushing money into developing those alternative ideas (which sadly won't be until the cost becomes way too high, or we've destroyed our own planet to such a degree that not even the delusional ones can ignore it any longer), we'll keep using fossil fuels.

As for the idea in the original post, while it might work on some small scale places, it's a complete no-go in a place like northern bc, where the roads get demolished by snow, ice, and frost heaves every single year. Sure, maybe it's an idea for grandma's housing complex in Phoenix.

These types of ideas are good though, because even if they don't work, they are the next step in something even better. Eventually we'll be riding in Google's driverless cars as well!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but the usefulness of vehicles like that in the place I live can't be understated. Hauling around materials, dragging trailers out to go camping, getting around on poor rural roads etc. They really are the best option for many many people. Not everyone lives in the middle of a big city where a little car or city transit will cut it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Ninja

I watched that yesterday as well. It's pretty clear it's not a viable idea in its current form, but maybe one day down the road it can be the basis for something else, perhaps in a different area.

Banned

This is ridiculous...pavement is where it's at.

I...am your father.

I really like that rebuttal video, but they didn't touch upon what if the solar glass was put in just where the parking lot lines are? Cars aren't covering them, or driving on them (minimizing repair)

I don't know, just thinking aloud

edit - the roof solar panel idea pretty much puts the kibosh on the usefullness of my musing...alrighty then

Dobber Sports Guru

if these two don't immediately realize their only market is rich people's driveways, then... i don't know.