Thread: Marvel Comic Books - Where to start?!

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Marvel Comic Books - Where to start?!

Hey guys, I was thinking.

If someone wanted to start getting into Marvel comics, where would you start? I've been thinking about starting with Spiderman (one of my favorites) but which series do I start? There are so many different branch or timelines. I was thinking the Amazing Spiderman would be a great place to start since the movies are out and I really liked both of them. If not spiderman, where else would I start? Avengers? Iron Man? Thor?

I've read the death and life of superman and Knightfall (two books based off of the comics) and I really enjoyed them. I am not interested in DC comics though, I want to get into Marvel. THoughts?
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Marvel Comic Books - Where to start?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    Hey guys, I was thinking.

If someone wanted to start getting into Marvel comics, where would you start? I've been thinking about starting with Spiderman (one of my favorites) but which series do I start? There are so many different branch or timelines. I was thinking the Amazing Spiderman would be a great place to start since the movies are out and I really liked both of them. If not spiderman, where else would I start? Avengers? Iron Man? Thor?

I've read the death and life of superman and Knightfall (two books based off of the comics) and I really enjoyed them. I am not interested in DC comics though, I want to get into Marvel. THoughts?
    Personally I'd suggest reading Ultimate Spider-Man. Fantastic run for Spiderman. Really hits the tone, and brings him back into what I think makes Spidey great. It's a younger Peter Parker, as in high school Parker, but I think that's the better version of him. But Amazing Spiderman wouldn't be a bad place to start.

If you want to stick to one Universe to start, the Ultimate Universe is pretty good. It's the primary basis for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and has a ton of great stories. Funny little story, Sam Jackson's Nick Fury is based on the Nick Fury from the Ultimate universe. However back in 2000 or 2001, Marvel went to Sam Jackson and asked them if they could use his likeness for a new Marvel run of comics, where his likeness would be the basis for Nick Fury. He obviously said yes and now years later, he's finished the circle haha. Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-Men, and the Ultimates have some fantastic stories in them.

Some other suggestions for runs to look at in the Marvel universe.

Planet Hulk and World War Hulk are two great Hulk stories, dealing with Avengers decision to slingshot the Hulk into the outer reaches of space because of the overall danger he poses to humanity. Not much back story is needed for them which is nice.

Secret Invasion and Civil War are great stories. Might need some back story for them but it's not entirely necessary. You could wikipedia the back story and be fine.

Old Man Logan is a pretty cool story. Deals with what happens when Wolverine loses his healing factor and grows old.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars is awesome. It's old school Marvel, but it's wicked. Basically all the Heroes and Villains on Earth are transported to another world and they take part in a massive battle royale. It has a sequel, and a 2004 re-imagining by Bendis. I'm pretty sure it's the first time the Spiderman Symbiote is seen too.

Of course the Infinity Gauntlet series is a cool read. It's speculated that this is what the Marvel movies will be about in the long run, so if you don't wnat that spoiled, don't read it.

The Astonishing Xmen series is sick too. Another Xmen run, Age of Apocalypse, is unreal.

And House of M is really cool. Basically the world somehow turns from being a mutant hating reality into a Mutant dominant reality where humans are the minority. It's got a little mystery as to what happened too.

if you want more detail, I'd love to give more, but I don't want to post spoilers or anything.

Here's a nice little link too.

http://marvel.com/comics/getting_started_comics

I know you said you didn't want DC, but Superman: Red Son (what would happen if Superman landed in Soviet Russia instead of the US) and All Star Superman (Superman finds out he's dying and the story is about how he deals with it) are amazing stories.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

I...am your father.

I was a big collector in the late 80s. I collected Avengers, Thor, Spidey, X-Men, Excalibur and Punisher. But I see the comics now when I pop into the odd comic store and I get completely lost. I have no idea what they did or are doing, or how one series/era fits into another
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I was a big collector in the late 80s. I collected Avengers, Thor, Spidey, X-Men, Excalibur and Punisher. But I see the comics now when I pop into the odd comic store and I get completely lost. I have no idea what they did or are doing, or how one series/era fits into another
    It's honestly pretty confusing at times. It can be a little frustrating, even as a regular reader. Their site can be somewhat helpful.

As an aside, for anyone not wanting to buy each individual story, check out Marvel Unlimited. It's like 8 bucks a month and it gives COMPLETE access to the Marvel comics vault. The only real limitation is that they are about 4-6 months behind current runs, but that's likely because they don't want to lose out on selling those issues individually. The desktop app is awful but the iPad, or Android tablet apps are awesome.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson