Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this the beginning of the end for the Bruins?

Banned

Default Is this the beginning of the end for the Bruins?

No, not because they lost, but because HOW they lost. When I look at the championship team from 3 years ago vs. today it's become a very different team IMO.

The team that won the cup was first and foremost a really good hockey team that played a style that was gritty, physical and often got under the opponent's skin (playing right on the edge).
    The team that lost this year chose to define itself by trying to get under the opponent's skin and play on the edge. So much so that they forgot to focus on playing good hockey.

I also really wonder how the behavior of Lucic and Marchand is going to affect the team dynamic in the future? There's a tipping point where their brand of shenanigans becomes so far over the line that they begin to lose the respect of their own teammates...not overtly even, but subconsciously it starts to seep in, who wants to play hard for a guy who can't even shake hands at the end? Or the guy who flops around the ice like a dead fish every game?

Finally, the importance of Chara cannot be underestimated. He's been an absolute rock to that blueline for so long that it's difficult to imagine how big the impact of his retirement would be. Even if he plays another 5 years, we're starting to see the paint chip away a bit with him, he's less mobile, less agile (never his strong suit anyway) and not as quick to recover when he gets out of position. The decline of Chara will have a huge impact on the Bruins for the next several years.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Is this the beginning of the end for the Bruins?

This Bruins team is a way more skilled team than they were in 2011. One of the best Bruins teams I've seen in my life time actually. I would argue that had Seidenberg and McQuaid been healthy, the series would have ended quite differently. That being said, Montreal got in their heads and managed to squeak out a victory. Don't forget the number of posts the Bruins hit. This series could have easily went the other way. Not saying Montreal didn't deserve to win in the end (they did), just saying it was very tight.

I can see Marchand getting moved this season (reunited in Dallas with Seguin maybe?). His antics hurt far more than they helped this year.

They do need to start reducing Chara's role. But with Krug emerging to take over some of the offense and good young guys like Miller/Bartkowski, I'm not too concerned about their overall defense. Don't get me wrong, Chara is irreplaceable. But overall, the Bruins still have one of the best D-corps in the league when healthy.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Star

The bruins cup window will be open for a little while, they were a few posts and/or a Carey price wall away from winning this series. They made the finals in 2 of the past 4 seasons and lost in game 7 in the other 2 years, under most circumstances that would be considered pretty good.

They will definitely have to tweak their team as something was amiss but I would not expect sweeping changes. Seidenberg getting hurt early on has been understated and Hamilton/krug/bartkowski/miller (4! rookie dmen) will have another year under their belts barring some sort of crazy sophomore slump.

This was a good fit for Iginla and it is important but not imperative that he stays.

Marchand is actually an important player as him and Bergeron have undeniable offensive chemistry. If they can reprogram the way he approaches the game they'll be back on track. Same goes for lucic. The non-hockey shenanigans was a distraction.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Boston is fine.
    Teams almost ALWAYS look weaker than their former "Cup" teams, because a Stanley Cup champion has players that overperformed their value (salary)... and they get paid for it.
    Then you end up with cap problems.
    It happens every year, to every cup champion... and this is why there is good turnover in the modern day NHL. (League contracts/UFA/RFA system)

Just like the Penguins not having Dupuis, Boston might have pulled this out with Seidenberg.
    Their defense did have a few brain-farts in the series.

If Montreal wins the cup, they'll have contract demands as well.
    Lars Eller was probably inline for a $2.5m salary after regular season.
    He seems to be pushing his worth into the $3m through the playoffs.
    Stuff like that.

Also - every round Subban pushes this team... money, money, money, money...

Dobber Sports Master

No Seidenberg was a huge impact if you ask me. Krejci also struggled a lot and that was kind of unexpected. This series had to go 7 and when that happens it's pretty much just a coin flip that Boston lost.. If they play 9 games instead of 7, I bet it ends 5-4 and it could have been Boston to win. It's just the way these teams match up. Rask played well but Price played ridiculous. Boston couldn't finish so it's hard to blame Rask. They missed the net a lot (as did MTL) so there were a lot of issues there. Chara just can't be the force he was at 32-33. He plays so much hockey and is always a target so eventually his effectiveness will wear off and we saw a bit of that.

Agreed that the Marchand antics (and the Thornton and Lucic ones) were not worth it this time around. Those kinds of players can only survive if they are contributing and if they are not, become a HUGE distraction for their team. Gallagher is a player in danger of this and I found myself yelling a lot at him last night to quit being a stupid best and play hard. Don't try and annoy players after the play, try and do it IN the play, by going to the hard areas and playing with a no quit motor (like Desharnais). I have no patience for the extra curricular BS. That distracted the Bruins this time and those agitators are gonna get a talking to for sure (but they probably won't listen). Marchand is the worst of them.. Is he supposed to feel proud of how he played this series? Because if I was his teammate I would not be happy with him right now.. Snow job in game 7? That's the penalty you want to take? Shows he thinks more about the name on the back of his jersey vs the logo on the front and I don't want guys like that on my team. MTL had one called Lapierre and eventually they had enough of him too.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Definitely don't see a fit of Marchand in Dallas. Wanted to address this one first. They're building a different culture on that team and undoubtedly want to keep Seguin away from that shit. Not to mention they already have Garbutt and Roussell who fill that role just fine.

Was really gonna ask. To Bruins fans, still think Seguin was the problem last year? Krejci was pretty bad all playoffs. Anyone gonna sit there and say they are glad they decided Krejci fit the team better and they traded Seguin instead of Krejci? That wasn't the only reason, but part of the reason for the trade is they were "set" at center. Gotta think management would have loved to have Seguin for that series.

Bruins aren't done, but each year Chara gets more wear and yes that does make them worse. Hamilton/Krug are going to have to develop quickly to take some of the pressure off him (along with Seidenberg/Boychuk having to step up more).

Dobber Sports Master

The smartest thing they do is keep everything in place. Just spend the summer teaching your team how to play hard but limit distractions. If the agitators buy-in, I think you have a Cup team. If not, well get rid of them because the same thing could happen next year. Everything seems to get tolerated when the team wins, but when it loses (even in a coin flip), things that are usually tolerated get noticed and bigtime. This time it was antics. Boston, without antics, is a scary team to deal with and is a force. With antics, well, they show weakness of character and of mind and can be beaten at that game.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Seidenberg was a huge loss for the B's this season.. Kelly also missing the playoffs really hurt the PK and the all around leadership in the room..

I also feel Chara was hurt, but he didn't admit it..

Beginning of the end?? I don't see it just yet..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Seidenberg was a huge loss for the B's this season.. Kelly also missing the playoffs really hurt the PK and the all around leadership in the room..

I also feel Chara was hurt, but he didn't admit it..

Beginning of the end?? I don't see it just yet..
    I agree. They've taken a hit since they won the cup but it's still a very well built team.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Definitely don't see a fit of Marchand in Dallas. Wanted to address this one first. They're building a different culture on that team and undoubtedly want to keep Seguin away from that shit. Not to mention they already have Garbutt and Roussell who fill that role just fine.

Was really gonna ask. To Bruins fans, still think Seguin was the problem last year? Krejci was pretty bad all playoffs. Anyone gonna sit there and say they are glad they decided Krejci fit the team better and they traded Seguin instead of Krejci? That wasn't the only reason, but part of the reason for the trade is they were "set" at center. Gotta think management would have loved to have Seguin for that series.

Bruins aren't done, but each year Chara gets more wear and yes that does make them worse. Hamilton/Krug are going to have to develop quickly to take some of the pressure off him (along with Seidenberg/Boychuk having to step up more).
    First off: Boston vs. Montreal is ALWAYS a tough game and every game is built up, especially the hype for playoff series and rightfully so going back to the 70's it is one of the best rivalrys in the NHL. The Bruins can and do get under teams skin but Montreal gets in the Bruins head sometimes it seems. The High Flying Frenchman as they used to be called always flustered the Bruins!

As others posted here Seidenberg as one of our top D and Mcquaids size and toughness was missed but no excuse as all teams have injuries so move on!

As far as Seguins trade , i didn't like it , even before he put up 90 points last year (didn't like trading Kessel either) i liked the speed both brought to the team but Mngmt. said they did not fit the Bruins mold , did not go to the hard areas. Well you got other players for that i say. I think with Seguin the problem was more Marchand , they were like 2 peas in a pod , i heard stories as i work at the Garden during the day and stories went around, but who knows?

I felt they should have hung on to Seguin and played him on the wing until they could make a move that made sense and not necessarily a move that involved Seguin. , this just felt rushed. Krejci i wouldn't want to be traded either , i love him as a playmaker , he always looks to make something work entering the offensive zone and it mostly is a sweet pass for a scoring chance instead of a dump and chase which i hate!

The situation with Z is for every year his play declines will be another step up in play for Hamilton who i feel will be a much more mobile offensive force for the Bruins , i welcome it.............................and another Habs vs. Bruins playoff series!
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Guru

Wow. Interesting to read this thread a year later. Looks like it was the beginning of the end.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think they are gonna be hurting. They were clearly missing Boychuk this year and Chara has slowed down quite a bit. Without Chara being the Chara of old and without Boychuk, their defence is below average. Their forwards are average. Goaltending is their strong point but even elite goalies can only do so much with below average defence.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Deity

I still don't think it's "the end" for the Bruins but they are certainly taking on water. They need to make some moves to stop the flood. They had 96 points this year and missed the playoffs on the last day. That's no where near the end.

I still say trading away Boychuk was a bad move for them. He was under-utilized in Boston but was still one of their better defensemen.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

It's not the end quite yet but the team will need their GM to pull some shrewd moves to give the roster the support it needs. Not sure it's going to happen.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

It’s not the end if Hamilton and Krug can improve next yr. Right when the old vets lose their step, the young guys have to step up (like in Detroit), and for the first time in like 9 yrs Boston will get a very good spot for the draft, so they’ll likely get a solid forward for 2016-17 season.

They did miss their “star” players a lot this yr due to injuries, if they even had 1 less game lost to injury, they had a chance at making it in. They missed it by nothing. Also with the Bruins, I feel like they would give any team a run for their money in the playoffs just because they’re vets. And a NYR vs Boston matchup is great; the Bruins would have started 70% of every faceoff with the puck. And Elite goaltending changes a lot.

Personally I was hoping Penguins would miss and Boston make it in. Just because I think Boston would put up a better battle than the Penguins.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll