Thread: Expansion Team - First pick, Bergeron or Kopitar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Expansion Team - First pick, Bergeron or Kopitar

I asked a similar question recently from a fantasy perspective. In this case I'm interested in your take from a "real" hockey perspective.

There have been multiple moments this playoffs were analysts have declared Bergeron might be the best 3 zone player in the game. While he's certainly incredible, I'm not sure which way I lean when it comes to Kopitar.

Both are Corsi machines and can contribute offensively. If you're the new GM for the Seattle Sonics (ok, it's not an original expansion team name) who do you take first?
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Expansion Team - First pick, Bergeron or Kopitar

I think I prefer Kopitar but its close. He's 2 years younger then Bergeron and has a bit more offense in his game. Bergeron is a FOW beast and can help a game with that aspect alone, but its not like Kopitar is a slouch himself. Kopitar is sneaky good on the defensive end himself.

For me, I would go with Kopitar but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who went with Bergeron.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Definitely Kopitar for me as well, higher offensive upside and can still be a Selke trophy candidate every year.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great player comparison.
    In my Dobber PRO league roto pool this year, I drafted both Kopitar and Bergeron.

As REAL-NHL-value goes... it's always hard to grade these two... two of the NHL's 10 best overall REAL-VALUE forwards, IMO.
    I really don't know...
    It's a coin flip for me.
    I can't take a side... I'd honestly call it a draw. (and I hate fence-sitters)

If I'm a GM, and I'm forced to pick, I think I'd go with the slightly higher-offensive-scoring talent... Kopitar.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Great player comparison.
    If I'm a GM, and I'm forced to pick, I think I'd go with the slightly higher-offensive-scoring talent... Kopitar.
    Higher offensive talent and two years younger...go with Kopitar. It pains me to say that because I think Bergeron is awesome, but you see why I (and the other guys) went with Kopitar.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think I prefer Kopitar but its close. He's 2 years younger then Bergeron and has a bit more offense in his game. Bergeron is a FOW beast and can help a game with that aspect alone, but its not like Kopitar is a slouch himself. Kopitar is sneaky good on the defensive end himself.

For me, I would go with Kopitar but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who went with Bergeron.
    The age difference is interesting. Normally I wouldn't put a tonne of stock in it, yet the fact that Bergeron is nearing 30 (the dreaded 30) is enough to consider it a factor

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    Definitely Kopitar for me as well, higher offensive upside and can still be a Selke trophy candidate every year.
    I wonder if Bergeron has another strong offensive year in 2014-15 whether we think of the gap being smaller than it is today
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Great player comparison.
    In my Dobber PRO league roto pool this year, I drafted both Kopitar and Bergeron.

As REAL-NHL-value goes... it's always hard to grade these two... two of the NHL's 10 best overall REAL-VALUE forwards, IMO.
    I really don't know...
    It's a coin flip for me.
    I can't take a side... I'd honestly call it a draw. (and I hate fence-sitters)

On a completely unrelated note, both are also enjoyable guys to play as in NHL 14 (apologies for the non gamers out there, hard not to get lost on a tangent). I probably lean towards Kopitar as well. Although there is an argument Bergeron has the similar offensive upside, but hasn't been unleashed, playing more of a defensive 2C role in Boston