Thread: A look at the Calgary Flames

I...am your father.

Default A look at the Calgary Flames

From my THN article today:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/fa...season-report/

Calgary Flames

Pending UFAs – Mike Cammalleri, Kevin Westgarth, Chris Butler, Joey MacDonald, Chris Breen, Derek Smith, Blair Jones
    Pending RFAs – Joni Ortio, Olivier Roy, Ben Hanowski, Mark Cundari, Chad Billins, Paul Byron, Joe Colborne, Lance Bouma, T.J. Galiardi

Looking to add – The Flames need help everywhere, though they seem to be okay in terms of puck-moving defensemen. And goaltender Karri Ramo finished the season very strong, serving notice that he can be a capable starting goaltender for this team in 2014-15. But just how good will the team in front of him be? A lot will depend on replacing Cammalleri with a player Cammalleri should have been – a healthy 35-goal scorer. Since 2007, Cammalleri played more than 70 games in a season just once.
    Players fitting the bill on the free agent market include: Thomas Vanek, Paul Stastny and – if you stretch the definition of a 35-goal scorer – Jarome Iginla and Radim Vrbata.

Ready for full-time – Tyler Wotherspoon, a defenseman drafted in the second round (57th overall) in 2011, is probably ready. His offensive upside is modest and we won’t likely see such upside until 2018 at the earliest.
    There are a few potential stars that are within two years of becoming full-time NHLers. The first is Johnny Gaudreau, a smallish (5-foot-9) pivot who started for both Team USA at the world juniors and for Hockey East’s Boston College. Gaudreau was Hockey East’s player of the year in both 2012-13 and 2013-14, and took home the Hobey Baker Award recently as the top college player in the nation. His size would indicate that he’ll need a couple of years to develop, but he did score in his first NHL game, which was Calgary’s last of the season. Gaudreau has a lot of upside and if he can stay healthy he has a good chance of becoming a ‘must own’ in fantasy hockey in several years.
    The other potential star is Sven Baertschi, who was probably rushed into the NHL last season when it turns out that he needed more seasoning at the American League level. Baertschi eventually found his game in the AHL, but he still tends to lose confidence when things don’t go well, leading to prolonged slumps. He reminds me of Jiri Tlusty in that sense – dominant in the AHL one day and disappearing the next.
    Gaudreau’s college linemate Bill Arnold is not as close to NHL readiness and certainly doesn’t have the same upside. However, there are rumors swirling that Chicago prospect Kevin Hayes will elect not to sign with the team and explore free agency. He was the third member of the best line in college hockey and if he were to choose to sign with the Flames then Arnold’s upside gets a whole lot higher. The situation will be a very interesting one, though I doubt we see it play out in the 2014-15 season.

Fantasy Outlook – We can probably expect more of the same next season from this young team. We may see flashes of hope and potential from players such as Sean Monahan and Mikael Backlund. But the Flames are in full-on rebuild mode and so fantasy owners are in full-on waiting mode when it comes to this team. Unlike a year ago, there are several really great prospects on the way. Fantasy Grade: C- (last year was D+)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: A look at the Calgary Flames

Good write up.

I am not sold on Hayes signing with the Flames. I am sure when Josh Jooris and Corban Knight signed with the Flames last year out of college, they did so thinking a similar thought, that this would be a quicker road to the NHL. Jooris spent the entire season this year in the AHL and had a decent rookie season (11G,16A) but didnt get a sniff of the show. Corban Knight had a better year in the AHL (18G, 26A) and did get a call up for 7 games. You have to think that this won't go unnoticed by Hayes and his camp. I am not saying he has proven anything and should be given a golden ticket to the NHL, but I would imagine that Jooris and Knight thought this would be the road less taken on their path to the NHL and it wasn't the case.

I am surprised that Corban Knight wasn't mentioned in your "ready for full time list" actually.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Granlund is a guy to watch out for on that team. He's going to be the big surprise I think.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Good write up.

I am surprised that Corban Knight wasn't mentioned in your "ready for full time list" actually.
    Because I don't think he is. I'm not sure why he has such a fan base here, I have a distinct memory of trying to cool the frothing Corban Knight waters in this forum last summer too. He'll be in the NHL in two seasons, and his upside is third line

Also - thank you!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Monahan is going to step it up a notch, book it!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Granlund is a guy to watch out for on that team. He's going to be the big surprise I think.
    I totally agree with that, he already looked like he belonged this season + he had decent numbers in the AHL also
    12 team full keeper dynasty league (H2H Points-Based)

scoring cats:

G, A, P, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, FOW, FOL, Hit, TK, BLK, GWG, GA, SV, SHO, W

C: Barkov, MacKinnon, Zegras, Hughes, Matthews
    LW: Pavelski,Teravainen, Nichushkin,
    RW: Rantanen, Laine, Terry
    F: Kakko, Rakell, Granlund
    D: Jones, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dahlin, Burns, Thrun,
    G: Gibson, F. Andersen, Saros, Hart
    Farm: L. Carlsson, Moore, Miroshnichenko, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Askarov, Fedotov, Clang